Replacing motorized antenna with fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Toyota Sequoia. After many years of replacing masts and motors, I'm done with it. I'd like to replace the motorized antenna with a fixed, either rubber or screw in metal "whip" antenna.

Today I went to replace the broken mast, again, and it was all catywampus up inside. I kinda reached my limit, so I cut the black antenna wire and the two green power wires, taped them off and decided to begin my search for answers here.

I don't care too much about top notch reception as I use Bluetooth for most everything, but I need to get something in there. Ideally I'd have a rubber, "off road" type one. I'm u sure of how to connect the wires and proceed.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Why did you cut the black wire? That is your signal wire and is needed for a non power type also.

I assume there was no connector (Motorola plug or similar) ?

If that is a coax cable, it is a PITA to repair.

Last edited:
Guess it doesn't matter why, it's done. There was no other way to remove the motor without doing so. I assume I'll need to refeed a new one to the head unit, which isnt a big deal.

Last edited:
Should only need the coax. But I'm not sure if it has a proper end on it. I'm guessing you will need the whole antenna, with a base; the base likely will come with the required coax to run to the radio.

It may be a big deal if there is no connector (hardwired) at the head unit.

Last edited:
What I did on my volvo was I snapped the recalcitrant antenna off flush, but left the nub sticking out of the body. I then friction-fit a retracting antenna from a junk boombox into what was left.

You're a bit beyond this point. Depending on how thick the coax is you could crimp some sort of cable-tv connector on and get a union etc.

Barring any of that effort, you can get about 75cm of regular old wire and splice this into the center conductor of your shielded wire and lay it "about"-- I'd recommend inside some sort of pillar trim. This may be enough reception for your circumstance.

I suspected that may be the case. It's tough to find a replacement that'll work with all that. My searches have come up empty so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back