'99 Camry L4 - Federal Emissions Spec - Exh Flex Cplg Replacement

My flex joint is broken (result of a "bagged" engine mount) - and I want to replace it. My question: typical muffler shops, presumably, would want to see the car "intact", and then it seems to me they'd zip-disk-cut-out (or sawz-all cut out) the broken flex joint at locations that are i) square-cut; and ii) are dimensionally equal to a plain-pipe x plain-pipe replacement flex joint (presumably a jobber unit)...? Then they'd mig-in some tack welds, take the assembly off the car, and complete all 360° of butt weld, either side of the new flex joint, correct?

I have several questions:

i) would all of this be done, typically, using stainless steel componentry and mig wire?;

ii) would shops tend to not want to remove the system from the car, and yet still try to complete the 360° of the weldments in situ?; and

iii) if I scribed reference / alignment lines and cut-off points prior (knowing the length of the jobber flex joint) could I profit by removing the piping (including the cat), bringing it in to their shop for doing the welding?

Seems to me that leaving it in situ automatically constitutes a "jig" allowing the initial tack welds???

TIA!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230430-062749.jpg
    Screenshot_20230430-062749.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 4
Back