Replacing ignition coils, what's this nut?

New injectors, wiring harness, coils. Cleaned ground and all connectors. Same issue. Injector circuit open, Cyl 1. And now a Cyl 1 misfire. Not sure what to do now but I might as well throw a new pcm at it at this point.

Last edited:
New injectors, wiring harness, coils. Cleaned ground and all connectors. Same issue. Injector circuit open, Cyl 1. And now a Cyl 1 misfire. Not sure what to do now but I might as well throw a new pcm at it at this point.
You need to ohm check between the injector and PCM then find the break and repair it and verify that the injector circuit at the PCM is in fact making switched ground output. Could have a dead injector driver. Probably verify the injector driver is making output first, no sense digging in a harness to find nothing.

"ya'll wanna charge me $800 to fix a wire?" - yes we do, if you could do it yourself you wouldn't be here. People always crack me up complaining about what it costs to DIAGNOSE and repair their cars.

I believe it is a bad pcm, I replaced the whole harness with a new one. That's the only thing out of the p0201 I haven't replaced yet.

The WHOLE engine harness or just the injector harness? PCM is going to require some programming, might find somewhere that'll pre-program it with your VIN and miles before they mail it out though. PCM is def not returnable once programmed/installed though so you'd better be sure that's it before plunking down $500 or whatever they cost these days.

Just replaced pcm. It's running now but spewing white smoke consistently. It filled my entire property and hasn't stopped. Smells like plastic or oil-ish. Maybe it's the atf I used to lubricate the injector orings. I have a system lean bank 1 fault that keeps going away, but it won't accelerate and is shaking/vibrating bad.

Attachments

• 20210703_173638.jpg
    20210703_173638.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210703_174030_HDR.jpg
    20210703_174030_HDR.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210703_174047_HDR.jpg
    20210703_174047_HDR.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Probably all the fuel loaded up in the cylinder and exhaust, but you should check that the engine oil isn't basically 50/50 fuel/oil mix at this point.
Fuel will wash past the rings and load the engine oil up, raising the level, lowering the lubricity, and when it warms up pushing oil and fuel into the PCV system and into the intake. I'd change the oil and take it on a good hard drive to clear it all up.

Thank you. I was planning on changing it after I warmed it up. I kept getting a low voltage warning. I found a broken ground strap and reattached it as best I could, and it started running better and the voltage issue stopped. Could be a coincidence of course. I drove it pretty hard and it seems to be back to normal but definitely still smells bad. No CEL came back on but I'll have to check for pending codes. Hopefully a fresh oil change will get it back 100%

Last edited:
Glad to hear it cleared up. I recall years ago we had an Infiniti Q45 in the shop with a dead injector that had failed open. It laid fog across the neighbor hood like it was London in the 1880's, probably could have struck a match and lit 1/2 the town on fire.

Exhaust smelling funky is from the fuel loaded converter, it may straighten out or it may continue to smell like rotten eggs, time will tell but some long higher speed highway drives will help get it right faster. May have shaved some miles off that converter though...

Back