Replaced thermostat, but the old one behaves normal?

We should check to see if Gates or FVP or Motorcraft are rebadged Motorad.
Yeah, this. Just had a buddy replace the plastic factory thermostat housing in my Ranger with an aftermarket aluminum one. He also installed a new Motorcraft thermostat (that I also provided) during the work. Now you have me wondering.

Yeah, this. Just had a buddy replace the plastic factory thermostat housing in my Ranger with an aftermarket aluminum one. He also installed a new Motorcraft thermostat (that I also provided) during the work. Now you have me wondering.

Does your Ranger have the 4.0 V6? I just installed an aluminum housing on a 4.0 Mustang the other day, my first one. Heck of a nice piece compared to the plastic junk of yore.

Does your Ranger have the 4.0 V6? I just installed an aluminum housing on a 4.0 Mustang the other day, my first one. Heck of a nice piece compared to the plastic junk of yore.
Yes, mine has the 4.0 "Cologne" V-6. The aftermarket housing was from Simmons, which is reputed to be the best one. Explorers and Mustangs offered the same engine. But the different applications require different housings because of the attachment of the radiator hose.

Since my buddy had it apart anyway, he also installed new Motorcraft timing chain tensioners in the heads. That's something to keep in mind on those engines, including the one in that Mustang. The Ranger forums recommend replacing those tensioners after no more than 100,000 miles as preventive, and to stick to Motorcraft.

If there had been a big difference in appearance between the old thermostat and the new one—meaning Motorcraft replacements were just cheap MotorRad—he probably would have said something. We'll see if Motorcraft does what some here say the other OEMs are doing.

I have the Simmons thermostat housing on my Explorer as well; best upgrade I ever did.

That said, I don't know who Ford's supplier is for Motorcraft branded thermostats, but I always stick with OE.

Back