Replaced thermostat, but the old one behaves normal?

Hi all,

I have a 00 Celica GTS 6sp, and lately my engine temp has been a notch below normal, especially on highways. Heat feels lukewarm. Figure new thermostat. Pulled the old one, which looks to be oem Toyota. Looked alright, no corrosion. I put it in a pot with the new Motorad one, and they both started to open up at 180f. I'm trying to find out what was wrong with the old one, and it seems like it's behaving just like its replacement.

The new one is in, everything is bled, and seems normal, and everything is thermally appropriate again. Any thoughts why the old thermostat is behaving normal in a pot of water but had been giving me the classic open thermostat problems?

The big fat one that weighs more is the Toyota oem, the little one is the Motorad. They are both in the photo at room temp after heating. I just went out again on a drive, everything's fine with the cheapy motorad.

thermotoy.jpg

My OEM thermostat would gradually got worse over the miles and years. The only way I found that out was when I was going downhill (grapevine on I5), instead of keeping the engine temp stable it would cool down too much. After a new OEM thermostat it would shoot back to keeping the temperature. So it may be ok but it is worth changing by then.

just wax in there, it may have lost ability to respond to temperature. Or your heater core is plugged.

Don't worry, the Motorad won't last long and you'll get to do it again soon.

I think the only way you'd answer your question is with the ability and time to cycle the t-stat repeatedly and see if it closes fully each time.

As I understand your symptoms they would be from a t-stat stuck partially open...so just finding it fully closed one time and verifying it opens when it should doesn't necessarily prove much.

Don't worry, the Motorad won't last long and you'll get to do it again soon.

I think the only way you'd answer your question is with the ability and time to cycle the t-stat repeatedly and see if it closes fully each time.

As I understand your symptoms they would be from a t-stat stuck partially open...so just finding it fully closed one time and verifying it opens when it should doesn't necessarily prove much.
This.

But given the size of the Motorad does it actually need to close. I would be concerned with the extra restriction.

There are other OEM quality T stat you can buy if you don't want OEM, make sure they are made in Japan if you are not sure, look at it and see if they look identical to OEM if they are made elsewhere.

The old t-stat may open at the specified temp via your test but what about when it is in the system exposed to the pressurized system with constant coolant flow? As originally mentioned earlier, OEM replacements are what we insisted on.

First: wow is that Motorad puny compared to the OE. I wouldn't have installed that, had I been the one performing the swap.

Second: your old 'stat could very well perform to expectations given the test setup. Heating a pot of water to boiling is a steady and controlled event, whereas the cooling system on a modern car goes through several thermal events on it's way to the designated operating temperature. Initial warm up, demand from the heater core in cold climates, an inrush of cold coolant as the thermostat starts to open, constantly changing thermal demands from the entire cooling system (extended high load events, excessive idle times, etc). It's entirely possible that the old 'stat was unable to respond fast enough to these requirements.

Post pictures please!

Either it's a weird one off that they are reboxing, shortage related, or they shut down their US and Mexican factories.

I'd send those back. I won't even use a Motorad radiator cap.
Didn't take any pics. I even went to the jeep dealer to get an oem stat and it was a motorad in the box

Stant's factory in AR closed recently, and the brand was (likely) acquired by Motorad.
You can run from them now but like herpes, Motorad will get you eventually.

I'll be heading to a salvage yard soon to buy an used OEM thermostat. I replaced the original which had too much scale buildup with an ACDelco, which was a Motorad. But I got about 6 years out of it and it failed open. Could've been worse, I guess.

Stant's factory in AR closed recently
Internet confirms this.
https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2021/jul/14/vehicle-parts-maker-to-close-after-40-years/

Sparks said that what happened to Stant is somewhat typical.

"A company acquires a business, divides it up, does whatever is necessary to make a profit," he said, "which is a sad thing for us, but that's the reality of business. We've just not been able to do anything, and they've been a good employer for years."

Stant's brand, starting in February 2020, was to be folded into that of the MotoRad company, a manufacturer that makes some of the same parts that Stant makes, according to one online reference..

Stant Corp. bought by private equity firm​

Back