Replace Toyota 2.5L 2AR-FE plugs at around 100k miles?

Hey all I got a 2015 Toyota with the 2.5L 2arfe and wondering if I should change the plugs now at 105k miles? Or should I wait longer
I am the 3rd owner and I’m pretty certain these are factory plugs

Vehcile runs fine and I did some research and believe people change at 120k but wondering if it’s better if I do now or just wait longer?

Thx

Most plugs seem fine at 120k. But if it keeps you up at night, no harm in changing—its not far off anyhow.

Hey all I got a 2015 Toyota with the 2.5L 2arfe and wondering if I should change the plugs now at 105k miles? Or should I wait longer

Vehcile runs fine and I did some research and believe people change at 120k but wondering if it’s better if I do now or just wait longer?

Thx
I replaced the original plugs in my 2011 Camry at about 87,000 miles. They were the original and had been in the car for twelve years. I noticed a very slight improvement in throttle response, especially when starting from a stop. I averaged over 37mpg on a 6,500 mile cross country trip I never got more than 35 or so on such a drive. I'd suggest changing them, and using the original Denso plugs. Make sure they're not fakes.

Since you don't know the car's history, I would just change them now. If the car had a lot of idle time and city driving, the plugs would be subject to a lot of sparks per mile and they could be pretty worn out at 100k.

Idle curiousity (no pun intended) based on your user name - do you consider Apollo 18 to be the Apollo-Soyuz mission of 1975, the 1st of the cancelled moon missions, or the mythical far-side-of-the-moon mission from James A. Michener's novel Space?

Back on topic, I would change the plugs now. They might be OK electrically, but I'm always worried about them seizing if left too long.

Do it now before the car starts missing or running rough because if something does pop up it's not the plugs. Plus, I am not sure if it's an old wive's tale or not but I heard that a bad plug can make a coil pack go bad. Not sure if it's true or not. Change them now at your own leisure instead of when you forced to do it.

I would not, if they are the iridium long-life or twin tip.

Japanese engineering white paper out there determined average useful life of these to be closer to 200k. 120k change interval is in fact safely conservative.

Here's the way I think of it. If its easy enough of a job to replace them in a parts store parking lot in 20 minutes, I'd just leave them. You're "likely" not to be stranded due to old spark plugs just inefficient operation.

On the flip side though, if it only takes 20 minutes, why not change them preventatively.

Do whatever makes you happy.

If uncertain, pull them and carefully measure the gap and give them a visual inspection. If the gaps are good and they check out visually, you could go on. If the gaps are getting wide, it will delay timing slightly or unevenly and put additional strain on the coils, which are more expensive to replace. It’s only 4 plugs….

Thx
I just changed the original plugs on a 2017 RAV4 with 103,000 miles last weekend (probably as you were writing this post). They were pretty tight getting them out. The plugs looked fine, but still glad I changed them when I did considering how tight they were. I used dealer-provided Toyota Denso plugs that were identical to the factory plugs. Planning to keep this car for a long time so it was worth the minimal expense and effort to do it on a nice day when I had the time.

Back