picked up a 2015 toyota rav 4, any recommended maintenance to do at 100k miles?

hey all got a used 2015 toyota rav 4 today with 103k miles, seems to be in good shape and ran well. don't have service records for the last 40k miles but seemed to have been taken to toyota dealer all the way up to 60k miles ish.
just curious for people who are familiar with these vehicles/engines/powetrain

what would you check / tune up on this vehicle? i want to drive it for next few years atleast and just wanna get it maintained now that i have some time
also any known issues that i need to fix?

thx!

Want to say coolant is on the schedule at 120k. ATF I don’t think is, but I would do sooner than later. Everything else, by the book is fine, the 2AR-FE isn’t hard on stuff. Flip a coin as to 5k or 10k, 5W30 or 0W20.

Ati's list is good although I wouldn't mess with the transmission filter. It's a lot of work to drop the pan for little benefit. I'd add in changing the fluid in the transfer case in front and the differential in back.

My 2020 RAV4 is at 90k miles and all I've done is air and cabin filters, oil/filter changes and transfer case and differential.

We had a 2014, trans service isn't a simple drain/fill/filter thing. Toyota considers it lifetime fluid and really wants you to take it to a dealer for service, supposed to check at specific temperature, etc. Most drain cold and replace the same amount. I think you have to remove one of the front wheels and the inner fender. Videos on YouTube. Just be sure you can get the fill plug out before you drain the fluid.

Last edited:
We had a 2014, trans service isn't a simple drain/fill/filter thing. Toyota considers it lifetime fluid and really wants you to take it to a dealer for service, supposed to check at specific temperature, etc. Most drain cold and replace the same amount. I think you have to remove one of the front wheels and the inner fender. Videos on YouTube. Just be sure you can get the fill plug out before you drain the fluid.
If anything like my 17 Corolla, not much harder then on a regular dipstick transmission. I think it's actually easier since there is NO dipstick to mess with and you DON'T have to guess the level if you're at the right temperature.

If anything like my 17 Corolla, not much harder then on a regular dipstick transmission. I think it's actually easier since there is NO dipstick to mess with and you DON'T have to guess the level if you're at the right temperature.
I can't disagree. First automatic I ever serviced was a "sealed" one, and other than buying a length of PVC tubing to fill it, it wasn't that bad... almost like servicing a manual transmission. My second automatic, great it has a dipstick. Now I have to wait overnight for the fluid to finish draining down the tube after pouring it in the same tube, then I can get a good reading.

watch out for tourque converter shudder issues and ac compressor pressure valve problems a little down the road. both happened to our 2013 at 150k and 165k respectively

luckily coolant was done at 60k miles so i assume i dont gotta touch it for a while? any idea on power steering? i think maybe its electric?
also is brake fluid good till 100k? not sure if it was ever done

Coolant is (usually?) 100k then every 50k after that, as its not a full flush. But yeah, it can wait a bit.

Back