Replace spark plugs every 4 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found something interesting googling about recommended maintenance on the wife's 2016 VW jetta 1.4T.

This dealership in GA notes state spark plugs should be replaced every 4 years. ( #5 note towards the bottom. )

https://www.nalleyvw.com/service/volkswagen-maintenance-schedules/jetta.htm

Looking at their little chart, spark plugs are listed as every 5 years 40k miles.

I've never seen anything this short of a time span. We are not running copper plugs. The shorted interval i ever saw was like 60k on mid -late 90's car where platinum just came popular.

Thoughts on this? Should i be following it? We are getting lower than normal MPG. Plugs dont wear down with age, they wear with usage. So saying 4-5 years doesn't make much sense.

Either way hopefully these plugs are NORMAL plugs and nothing stupid.

Either way hopefully these plugs are NORMAL plugs and nothing stupid. [/quote]
The plugs in my mazda are every 40k miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
The copyright at the bottom indicates it is an official Volkswagen document, so I guess it can be believed. Although I for one did not believe it when I read your post, I had to go check it out for myself.

Maybe send a note to Volkswagen itself asking if that is the official schedule for your vehicle.

probably four years due to aluminum cylinder head & steel threaded plug.
Dissimilar metals means it's safer to extract the plug earlier rather than drama / damage to threads in the head later.

Mercedes recommends every 6 years. But they use a multi spark system where the plugs can fire up to 4-5 times per cycle instead of once like regular plugs. So you're also getting a lot more wear than regular plugs that just fire once. Not sure what VW is doing. And yeah, part of the reason for 6 years is so that the plugs don't get seized if you just go by mileage and don't drive much and then try changing them in 10-12 years.

I have a Bmw V8 N63TU, it has 60.000km or 37000 miles interval. It started to misfire after 30.000 miles so i had to replace the spark plugs to stop the misfire. Maybee its more important on DI engines to have a healty ignition system because of the possible damage from potensial super knock / lspi?

Maintenance schedule looks legit to me. Unfortunately unlike Audi which a family member owns, I can't find a VW sourced maintenance schedule to call up and confirm. I would think the information should be in the information provided with the vehicle literature like the owners manual. Perhaps not. Lacking that, contacting VW some how to confirm. Rock Auto only lists one plug for the vehicle, and pricey. It is what it is. While there might be some leeway in the four year max, if accurate, personally I wouldn't stray too far from it.

As an aside, Nalley is a big dealer in the ATL area, they also have an Audi store.

After all the plug problems I've seen in recent years, especially in Ecoboost engines, I'd say it's cheap insurance to change them out at 4 year intervals.

I haven't seen the word Iridium in this thread. ( or did I miss it?)

For Iridiums: 100,000 miles.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Maintenance schedule looks legit to me. Unfortunately unlike Audi which a family member owns, I can't find a VW sourced maintenance schedule to call up and confirm. I would think the information should be in the information provided with the vehicle literature like the owners manual. Perhaps not. Lacking that, contacting VW some how to confirm. Rock Auto only lists one plug for the vehicle, and pricey. It is what it is. While there might be some leeway in the four year max, if accurate, personally I wouldn't stray too far from it.

There is a separate book in the owners information. "USA Warranty and Maintenance".

FWIW the 2019 version shows "extended maintenance" Spark plugs every 4 years / 40,000 miles. It has a foot note about certain vehicles/engines... The 2019 book at least is formatted somewhat differently than the posted websites table.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
As an aside, Nalley is a big dealer in the ATL area, they also have an Audi store.

Nalley has a lot of stores, including a Honda. Based on my experience there I'd strongly recommend independent verification of anything that comes out their mouth.

Its been every 40-45k for audi since the higher boosted motors came along in 11 or so. Same for Porsche, just more money. BMWs 4 cylinder turbo is 45k as well for the earlier ones.

Originally Posted by vw7674
probably four years due to aluminum cylinder head & steel threaded plug.
Dissimilar metals means it's safer to extract the plug earlier rather than drama / damage to threads in the head later.

This.

At least crack them loose to make sure they can come out. Do NOT use anti-seize as it affects conductivity.

Originally Posted by Ws6

The plugs in my mazda are every 40k miles. [/quote]
Thats odd. Turbo?

The plug in the subaru crosstrek w( w/ port inj) are on the O.M. maintenance schedule as required replacement at 60K,
and they are advanced ruthenium/iridium

WHY!?

I didn't do them. Just told the wife to keep and eye on fuel mileage and for the blinking MIL ( indicating misfire)

Am I throwing my "free" dealer provided lifetime engine warranty out the window?

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by Ws6

Thats odd. Turbo?

The plug in the subaru crosstrek w( w/ port inj) are on the O.M. maintenance schedule as required replacement at 60K,
and they are advanced ruthenium/iridium

WHY!?

I didn't do them. Just told the wife to keep and eye on fuel mileage and for the blinking MIL ( indicating misfire)

Am I throwing my "free" dealer provided lifetime engine warranty out the window?[/quote]

That's quite the difference for the Turbo SkyActiv. My naturally aspirated SkyActiv has the spark plug replacement at 120,000 kilometers / 75000 miles.

Even at 75k, I consider that conservative with iridium plugs. Maybe the high compression factors into this?

Originally Posted by Ws6

My Skyactiv motor says 75K in the manual. 40K is absurd for an Iridium plug that can go to 100K easily. (I'm assuming Mazda's signature engine uses Iridium)

Last edited:
Closely related situation:
As many of you have read here.......

I bought a 15 year old Ford Ranger with I was thinking of changing the plugs and wires. All the parts guys I ask say, "leave 'em be".
NOTE: The wires are Ford, grey originals with smooth silicone based jackets, not dry at all.

One guy on a Ranger forum suggested having a Ford dealer do it. I imagine he believes any chance of complication would be lowered and, perhaps, any which could arise would be remedied for no additional cost.

1) What would you do? please, just rattle off opinions
2) Does anyone know if copper based or nickel based anti-seize would perform better?

So far I've been periodically dripping Kroil (a penetrant) on the plugs' bases.

I hope this post doesn't constitute a thread highjack.

Originally Posted by Kira
Closely related situation:
As many of you have read here.......

I bought a 15 year old Ford Ranger with I was thinking of changing the plugs and wires. All the parts guys I ask say, "leave 'em be".
NOTE: The wires are Ford, grey originals with smooth silicone based jackets, not dry at all.

One guy on a Ranger forum suggested having a Ford dealer do it. I imagine he believes any chance of complication would be lowered and, perhaps, any which could arise would be remedied for no additional cost.

1) What would you do? please, just rattle off opinions
2) Does anyone know if copper based or nickel based anti-seize would perform better?

So far I've been periodically dripping Kroil (a penetrant) on the plugs' bases.

I hope this post doesn't constitute a thread highjack.

Why not change them? Lol I mean typically double platinum will make it 70k no prob but they're cheap enough... Put double platinum or iridium back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back