Changing spark plugs based on age and not mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Ranger had platinum plugs from the factory that are good for 100k miles. I changed them a few months ago at around 80k miles. The truck is around 14 years old now, and I was starting to get worried about them seizing in the head after all that time, so I replaced them early. They came out fine though.

Originally Posted by exranger06
My Ranger had platinum plugs from the factory that are good for 100k miles. I changed them a few months ago at around 80k miles. The truck is around 14 years old now, and I was starting to get worried about them seizing in the head after all that time, so I replaced them early. They came out fine though.

Exranger is that block aluminum or steel?
Thanks in advance

Originally Posted by cjcride
Originally Posted by exranger06

Exranger is that block aluminum or steel?
Thanks in advance

Iron block, aluminum heads.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Based on the song lyrics, I'd change the plugs sooner than later.

And everybody's saying that there's nobody meaner than
The Little Old Lady From Pasadena.
She drives real fast and she drives real hard,
She's the terror of Colorado Boulevard.

...But parked in a rickety old garage
Is a brand new, shiny red Super Stock Dodge.

Change the plugs, very easy on the 2.5, hardest part is getting the engine cover off w/o breaking something.

I changed my Toyota Tundra plugs after 10 years 80000 miles and they were still in excellent condition as they are Iridium. I typically change Iridium between 80000 and 100000 miles regardless of age. I don't use anti-seize and never have in 35 years. Non Iridium I would change every 60000 miles.

I changed my Toyota Matrix iridium plugs after 10 years 60k miles.
Had to work them back and fourth a bit; and the electrodes looked like new.
Changed the thermostat too at that point.

Well, I changed out the spark plugs today. Much ado about nothing in my opinion. OEM plugs came out with no issue. Removed spark plugs still had the spec'd 1.1mm gap. These could have gone to the 40K mile recommended change interval and been fine.

Installed a replacement sent of BOSH spark plugs and runs just as fine as before.

[Linked Image from supermotors.net]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Hootbro
Much ado about nothing in my opinion.

That depends from one case to another. like circuitsmith said "Had to work them back and fourth a bit". Discretion is the better part of valor.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
Well, I changed out the spark plugs today. Much ado about nothing in my opinion. OEM plugs came out with no issue. Removed spark plugs still had the spec'd 1.1mm gap. These could have gone to the 40K mile recommended change interval and been fine.

Installed a replacement sent of BOSH spark plugs and runs just as fine as before.

[Linked Image from supermotors.net]

Are these the actual new v. used plugs?? Because the "used" on the left looks fine and you said it gapped fine, right? Keep em as back in case a problem develops down the road where having a 2nd set of known to work plugs will come in handy.

Fwiw I change mine on mileage and pull one or two from time to time for inspection. Oh and I have never used antsieze... just torque to spec cold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back