replacing all spark plugs?

I wouldn't trust the other 3 plugs.... And if it's a simple 4 cylinder motor... Takes what ?? 10 minutes to change them... And the plugs are say $8 a piece.... I'd do it.

Plugs can be no good from the factory.

Hyundai uses long life spark plugs good for 100k miles in naturally aspirated engines. Your Neon used standard copper plugs that recommended changing right around 30-40k miles.

On a 6 cylinder motor that's like mine... Where it is not very easy to do... Ok maybe don't mess with them.

On a easy 4 cylinder motor that it is done in ten minutes ? That is a situation where it can be done. Easily. And I would bet that a bad plug caused that issue and it is possible the other plugs could be defective too. Just like my 2000 Dodge Neon.

Also no. These cars are known to have weak ignition coils that fail frequently and at low miles. Hyundai improved on the coil on plug design for the 2019MY. The 2017-2018MY’s have a know problem with the coils.

I wouldn't bet a lot of money it was the spark plug. I'd replace the other 3. It's not necessary, but I would
still replace the other 3 with the same plug they used.

No need to replace all plugs, but I probably would anyways because OCD would get the better of me.

That said, if a person has to pull the intake to replace a plug on the rear bank of a transverse V6 (not applicable to OP) it would be wise to replace all of them, just so you don't have to get in there again until much later.

Under warranty, they will only replace what is necessary to resolve the complaint and one time use parts that come off during the repair.

Typically when DIYing, you do as many as you can at once, but there's no reason the plugs need to be the same age as long as they are all functioning correctly. I've heard of people leaving a really difficult plug alone, better to have mostly new ones than tear up a part you already can't reach.

Obviously when the maintenance interval is reached, all should be replaced.

Also no. These cars are known to have weak ignition coils that fail frequently and at low miles. Hyundai improved on the coil on plug design for the 2019MY. The 2017-2018MY’s have a know problem with the coils.

The coils then should be replaced on all other cylinders too then in my opinion... If one coil goes bad... That early on... I'd replace the other 3 no problem. And it's easy to do... A 10 minute job.

Plugs could have been bad so you or I don't know that for a fact... Though I believe what you have stated about the coils being weak and failing too early. .. However again.... A job that's easy... 15 minutes... Who cares... It is easy and not much money to change the other 3 plugs... And the op asked if it was necessary to change the other 3... Bad plugs can happen too.. . We have seen fake plugs on here... That fail early... And who's to say that the manufacturer could have been fooled into buying seemingly good looking fake spark plugs?? Never say never... You are smart and understand that it is even possible for plugs to go bad unexpectedly... possibly failing early... Though in this case like you have stated... It likely was a weak coil. . Then... My thought goes to what about the other 3 coils and their associated plugs?

Talking about failing parts....

How about a PCA ( patient controlled analgesic) machine part failing... Dumping almost 100 mg of IV Dilaudid in a patient... Which Dilaudid is 7 times stronger than morphine... Killed that person instantly... My buddy Will was right there when that pump failed... He told me that the patient lost all color instantly... They emptied the ENTIRE hospital of Narcan except the NICU to reverse the effects of that IV Dilaudid... Thank God they had just enough to do that... And thank goodness it happened right when it did... The patient had literally just come from PACU... If this event would have happened say 3-4 hours later... At night.... On a floor with no telemetry monitoring heart rates... That person could have been gone for say 15-30 maybe 45 minutes...and No one would have known... And yes it is not unusual in orthopedic surgery floors to not have telemetry monitoring on them... Patients typically get seen every 30-45 minutes... Those pumps were a bit old... Probably should have been replaced already... There had been some "minor" issues with those pumps prior to this extremely bad event... I actually had used one of those old PCA pumps myself prior to this horrible event... Those machines had not been replaced.... Until after this horrible event... A week later.... That hospital had all NEW PCA machines....

Anyone wonder why I believe in any possibility of parts failing ?? Even parts that typically do not see failure .. . Anyone wonder why sometimes ( not all times) I believe in prophylactically changing parts ahead of time AT times??? That horrible circumstance right there.... Is why. . . And in a piece of equipment that truly was life and death... A internal part failed.

Bad spark plug wires caused my 95 Nissan Sentra to run bad... I had replaced the plugs, rotor, and distributor cap... The car ran better but still off and not right... Replaced the spark plug wires. .. Ran perfect. Interestingly in 2 years that car was not running right... I just replaced the spark plug wires... And that made it run right again.

Like you said... They have had issues with the coils... Then go ahead and do that too.. I hope they are not like mine at $75-92 a coil....

Last edited:
Hyundai uses long life spark plugs good for 100k miles in naturally aspirated engines. Your Neon used standard copper plugs that recommended changing right around 30-40k miles.

I had never had a car run that bad from plugs... Those were welfare plugs from the factory in that Neon... That was for sure. That's why I got those Bosch platinum spark plugs and put them in there.

Funny... I saw a obviously newer Hyundai... Stopped at a stop light going no where... A bit of smoke rising from the front of the vehicle... Certainly not plug related. But that one hundred thousand plus spark plug did not make it that far... I'd bet the owner could have been a space cadet owner and didn't take care of their Hyundai the way it needed to be.

I'd replace all 4 plugs and upgrade the coils if they're know to have issues and were upgraded by the mfg. as a result, and be done with it.

Last edited:
When one spark plug is diagnosed to be bad and replaced, is it a good idea to replace ALL the plugs?

Depends on how one defines good idea.

It cannot be said its mandatory as there is no net gain in replacing a functioning part with another functioning part.

Plugs however do constitute a "wear item" under normal usage ( albeit in separate wear chambers and certainly seldom uniform) so "conventional wisdom" would lean toward doing them all at the same time as brakes or belts more to avoid a potential problem rather than remedy one.

Its really a judgment call based on what you deem important.

Depends on how one defines good idea.

It cannot be said its mandatory as there is no net gain in replacing a functioning part with another functioning part.

Plugs however do constitute a "wear item" under normal usage ( albeit in separate wear chambers and certainly seldom uniform) so "conventional wisdom" would lean toward doing them all at the same time as brakes or belts more to avoid a potential problem rather than remedy one.

Its really a judgment call based on what you deem important.

Really good point here ^^^^^^^^

It really is a judgement call and what one deems important...

In this case with the op's car's plugs or coils... That is the case.

And really there is no wrong answer... And like stower17 said it can be left alone just the same.

I just wish at the hospital when we started having some issues with those old PCA pumps... One problem I remember having at times was the locking mechanism on the case would not always lock correctly or it was a Mac Gyver event to make it work right. The other issues I did hear about but there were rumors other problems were happening too. People did not use the best judgement in that case...

Then the nearly catastrophic event happened which nearly killed a patient... There were issues with the pumps and they were a sign.... That those pumps should have been retired and replaced... With brand new ones.

Remember this guys... Many regular IV pumps are old too... And if your family member is on say a Heparin drip.... If that fails... It would be a very bad circumstance. Or worse yet if they were in a slow potassium drip... Keep an eye on things... Watch the drip rate carefully.

Hi,

When one spark plug is diagnosed to be bad and replaced, is it a good idea to replace ALL the plugs?

I ask this because my 2017 Hyundai Elantra SE 2.0, with just 40,000 miles, started misfiring and gave out a code "P0301- cylinder 1 misfired detected". The dealer replaced the ignition coil (covered still under Hyundai's 5YR/60K warranty) and the spark plug. But they just replaced the one plug in cylinder 1 and I was wondering if all 4 plugs really should have been replaced all at the same time?? This service solved the problem and the engine is running normal again.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Michael in NJ

It's probably fine, but as creatures of habit most probably change all the plugs at one time. With this being warranty work they will only change the impacted parts.

Just my $0.02

I never will understand replacing parts that are still good, to me this is the same as throwing parts at a problem when you don't know what the problem is which most of you would not recommend doing.

I never will understand replacing parts that are still good, to me this is the same as throwing parts at a problem when you don't know what the problem is which most of you would not recommend doing.

You point is very valid and quite true from a literal and practical perspective.

It is equally valid and true that from a risk perspective (to avoid a problem, reduction in performance or unplanned downtime) is prudent to do a bit of "proactive' maintenance.

Neither view is "right" or "wrong' or even "better' or "worse"- its in the eye of the beholder.

I would do all 4 of they are easy to get to. A friend has been taking hos 04 dodge truck to the local Firestone for maintenance since it was new.

It threw a code and was a missfire for the dr rear cylinder( forget which # that is). These 2 plugs are difficult to get to.

I pulled 14 bosch platinums and 2 completley worn out champions out of his engine. I am confident that the 2 champions were OE plugs
The dreaded 2 plugs per cylinder hemi, these engines seem to love the OEM Champions IIRC

Back