Repercussions of 18 qts of oil in a 6 qt. engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
I guess he could just be the product of two ultra liberals having children and more money then brains!

Poor peoples kids never do stupid stuff like this it is always people with money!

Wow, I don't usually associate this place with idiotic assertions like these!

I feel kind of bad for him. He's obviously (!) not too mechanically inclined but at least (if you squint really hard) you can see a little logic in his thought process. Some of the other stories in this thread are way worse!

I think someone has to think long and hard, and get pretty darn sure what there doing before they start taking a wrench to any $20,000 plus appliance.

At least watch someone do it once before you attempt it blindly.

It's not like it's a $10 calculator where he's trying to figure out how to change the battery. On an expensive machine like that you have to cover all the bases. "Not having the right size socket" and not knowing what an oil pan drain plug looks like, is not covering your bases.

I agree. I have four or five pages bookmarked along with a alldata account form when I did the LIM on the Montana. Now, this is alot more complicated than an oil change, but I do the same with any thing I am unsure of.

When I worked in a servo back in 1987, a guy came in in a Mitsubishi Sigma (2.6 litre Astron engine).

Wandered over to the oil stand, and picked up 4 litres of Shell Super SF 20W-40. I thought "oil change time", as he wandered over to the car and tipped it into the engine. I though "oil burner, not very common for such a new car". He came back and picked up another 4 litres, and started heading back to the car. I thought "Oil burner, and one for the trunk". It went in too. Repeated the process...12 litres of top up.

He came in, and I asked if he had "filled" it, which he had. Then suggested he go talk to the mechanics out back.

Copped an ear full of abuse about how long he'd been driving prior to my parents consumating their marriage etc.

He drove of very rattly, and very smokey.

Another day a girl came in and told me that she'd topped up her radiator, and was surprised to see oil float to the top...is that normal ?

Was on a Ford Cortina with the 250 ci 6 cyl. The oil fill cap looked winged like a radiator cap....mechanics fixed her up.

One -7 morning another girl came in in a Corolla (early 70s) with steam billowing out the bonnet. I asked her if she used antifreeze, at which she called me every SOB under the son, and pointed that the car was boiling not freezing.

Came back next morning to apologise.

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
I don't think the seals would be compromised. The volume inside the crankcase is fixed. When one piston travels down, the other travels up, so the movement of the pistons shouldn't cause increased pressure. And if there was substantial oil pressure, the weak link would be at the dipstick or PCV -- oil would gush out of there before the seals burst.

Haven't seen many scotch yoke engines where upwards movement and downwards movement are equal and opposite...not many with an infinitely long con-rod either.

I went to drain the oil in my Aspire and drained the MTF. If it wasnt red draining out I MAY have been in a similar situation.

It was about do for a MTF change and shifted better after the change so I was pretty lucky.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I went to drain the oil in my Aspire and drained the MTF. If it wasnt red draining out I MAY have been in a similar situation.

It was about do for a MTF change and shifted better after the change so I was pretty lucky.

Didnt you notice the massive, giant drain plug for the MTX? I can never even find that socket size!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back