Repairing headliner

Status
Not open for further replies.
The headliner on the VW Rabbit is loose around the sunglass holder and is sagging. Everywhere else is in decent shape is there a way to fix it without totalling re doing the headliner?

Either glue in a syringe that can be poked through and spread around or make a small incision and then use a spray adhesive.

The right way to do it is pull down that section to the closest edge, spray in 3M adhesive and hold a form against it to keep it tight until it dries. Tight means fabric only, try not to compress foam/other padding much.

The cheap/lazy/IDon'tCare way is spray it with hairspray and hold it in place with parchment paper till it dries hard. Another option is double sided tape but if the foam is shot it may have nothing to adhere to on that side.

If the foam under it has dry rotted, anything you do may make it worse except pulling the whole thing out and assessing from there, which might still ruin it.

You did not mention the age or environment which can matter, and I do suspect some dry rotting of the foam since it is near a sunglass holder so a common issue is if someone makes contact with it there it compresses the foam which is brittle now, and that's one possibility why the fabric came loose.

If the foam has not separated from the fabric (less common problem) but the entire foam is sagging too, you can put some thick adhesive (construction adhesive, acid free caulking, etc) behind it or try the 3M spray adhesive.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-38808-Headliner-Fabric-Adhesive/dp/B004MEBENM

Last edited:
It is loose and sagging around the edges so I can get to the backside of the fabric without issue.

Redoing the entire thing is the right way to do it, but if you can pull the sunglasses holder down to gain access and spray some adhesive (I think this is a time when less is more) that might work.

Chances are that the foam backing is rotting, adhesive will just soak straight through the liner portion. Ok for a temp fix, but its not long for this world. Pull it out and recover is the only sure fix.

And rotten headliner foam is just evil sticky stuff to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back