Repairing a crankshaft broken in half

East is where European trucks go to die. They're run hard on rudimentary maintenance ad infinitum.
Cuba is like this as well. A guy was taking tubs of asbestos and making new brake pads. Yeah his life expectancy just went down the drain. Just be thankful that the USA is wealthy enough that we don't need to weld a crankshaft.

Cuba is like this as well. A guy was taking tubs of asbestos and making new brake pads. Yeah his life expectancy just went down the drain. Just be thankful that the USA is wealthy enough that we don't need to weld a crankshaft.
Weld them all the time for a journal regrind.

Don't many measure their well being individually?

That looks to be from some really big engine. If the crank in your V16 earth mover or locomotive breaks and a new one costs $50,000, a $5,000 repair might be the way to go.
This does not look like a $5000 repair. More like a $50 repair.

If a $50K crankshaft breaks on a $1M locomotive then you replace the crankshaft. Between shop time and downtime it's not reasonable to make repairs to save a few thousand.

If a $50K crankshaft breaks on a $1M locomotive then you replace the crankshaft. Between shop time and downtime it's not reasonable to make repairs to save a few thousand.
Yea, in a third world country it might be $50

This guy in Australia repairs all kinds of parts cheaper than it can be replaced.

Cannot apply a 1st world solution to the third world.

A steel rule and an eyeball; the epitome of 1900's machining being practiced in the 21 century.

I'm curious why so many cranks are being repair in the first place? What's happening that they have this much work to do?
A lot of heavy equipment that is very specialized, cannot easily be transported, and can't be down to wait weeks for manufactured parts get field repaired like this. Not out of the ordinary.

This piece getting repaired probably isn't as replaceable as a Hyundai 4 banger crankshaft that you simply buy new, 2 day shipping

Last edited:

Another good one. Ignore the title - it's broken in half at one of the counterweights. Now all of my YouTube recommendations for the near future are going to be broken crankshafts and such.

I would love to know how long these repairs last. Attempting to weld such large parts without a preheat makes me think those first few passes with the welder are decorative at best, but then again they probably wouldn't bother doing it if it didn't work... sometimes.

I was under the impression that cranks are made from ductile cast iron and not weldable.

Most of India is rural. My guess is that crank came out of some ag equipment. Lead time and cost for a replacement is most likey months and lot of Rupees out.

My brother had an '84 Cutlass with a 3.8L V6. He calls Dad one day and said the engine is running rough and it overheats really quick. He says the opened the hood and none of the accessories and fan were turning. This was a low <30k mile rebuild from a small rebuilder.

I was under the impression that cranks are made from ductile cast iron and not weldable.
Most are on the junky cars and trucks that are made now. Back in the older days all were forged steel. And all large and industrial engines have forged steel crankshafts. Only consumer junk is made from low quality junk materials.

Let me guess, India?
Pakistan. what everyone needs to understand is that unlike the west with cheap things and expensive labor, things there are super expensive and labor cheap. So to mend and rebuild things is far more sensible. There is another channel showing heavy truck works which is nuts. They will create a frame for a truck from scratch. If you look at this video, they are repairing an easy salvage.

Back