Repair shop experience. Need your opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to warn all of you who stumble upon this thread, that this is going to be a long winded post about a recent experience I had with a repair shop.

The Monte Carlo in my signature belongs to my fiance. When I met her it wasn't in the greatest shape and was long over due for some care. I started by ensuring that all preventative maintenance items were properly taken care of; flushed out the radiator, transmission fluid was exchanged, power steering fluid exchanged, air and cabin filters replaced, spark plugs and wires changed. After this was taken care of I took care of some mechanical aspects that needed attention; new mufflers, replaced the oil filter housing gasket, replaced the coolant temp sensor, replaced the cooling fans and replaced her a wheel bearing. All of this work was done either by myself or with her dad.

Most recently I set out to take care of a high speed vibration issue that she has had and replacing a TPMS sensor. Since I don't have the proper tools to a) diagnose what TMPS sensor is faulty (I knew for sure 1 was), b) replace the sensors, and c) balance the tires; I decided to find a place to do it for me.

I looked into a place that is right around the corner from my work (thinking I could drop it off in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon), and found nothing but positive reviews. Yelp, nothing but 5 stars. Google, nothing but 5 stars. A third site that I don't remember, nothing but 5 stars. All in all I found about 15 reviews all of which were positive. This is an independent tire/suspension shop but also claims to be full service and they've been in business since '97.

I decided to take a walk over and get a quote. I made them quote for diagnosing and replacing the TPMS sensors, 4 wheel balance, and 4 wheel alignment. Grand total was $199 and some change. I questioned and asked why the lack of labor for sensor install, "The tire is going to be off anyway for the balance, I'm not going to charge additional labor for the install of a sensor." "Hmm, nice change of pace" I thought. During this conversation I explained to him that I was aware that two of the tires were close to getting replaced (the rears) but I was not going to do so yet, I also told him that I was aware that one of the tie rod ends had a busted bushing and leaked grease. At this point he makes the comment that "It's common for the control arm bushings on these models to fall apart so we'll take a look at the whole thing over." I get a bit of a red flag at this point simply because I don't like a mechanic to state what he thinks may be an issue without even glancing at the vehicle, makes me thing that they're going to look for anything that needs "fixing".

I think it over and decide a day or two later that I'm going to have them do the work, minus the alignment because I was planning on swapping out the tie rod end anyway which would require an alignment afterward anyway. I schedule a time and let them know that instead I would just like the TPMS sensors that are faulty replaced, a 4 wheel balance, a rotation, and finding why my driver side tire is leaking. I drop the car off and walk to work. About 4 hours later the shop gives me a call, "So and so decided not to rotate the tires because one of the rear tires has a slipped belt which would make drive ability poor if switched up front, also he did not balance the rears since he recommends replacing the tires sooner rather than later, he also found that both control arm bushings need to be replaced, outer tie rods need to be replaced, and the sway bar end links should be replaced but he recommends replacing the whole rod. However, after looking at the sensors only the one that you were able to figure out is faulty so he replaced it. Also the driver front tire wasn't completely sealed on the wheel so we took care of that as well." So I get off the phone and walk down to the shop to pick up the car, my total was $109.98. I'm pretty content at this point, this guy didn't take advantage of me not being there and say that all sensors were bad, he refused rotating the tires (thus reducing the bill), and he didn't try to push for the repairs to be done then and there. Instead he gave me two different quotes for two new tires and two different quotes for the suspension repairs (one for just sway bar links and one for the entire bar). I'm thinking I may have finally found a stand up guy to take my cars to when I don't have time or can't handle a project. I pay and leave.

I get into the car and as soon as the vehicle moves I hear a pop coming from the front end. Drive some more and hear a couple different thumps, pops, creaks. I have driven this car for a long time and have never experienced any front end noise of the sort. The car drives just find but it has a noisy front end. I begin to think that perhaps I'm over thinking things, after all I'm driving with the stereo down and paying extra attention for any noises. Perhaps these noises have always been there but I've just not picked up on them due to stereo, conversations, etc. I can't shake the feeling that perhaps they did something to the suspension. I tell the fiance of the experience and ask her to drive as she normally would on her way to work the next day. After work I ask her about the drive to and from work, even she noticed some definite popping noises during slow speed bumpy terrain and turning.

Now guys here is the question. This is going to be a he said, she said situation. I'm not quite sure how to properly handle this and I can't believe that a place with all of these great reviews would actually do something to intentionally damage the suspension. However, I'm a BITOGer, I'm in tune with my vehicles and know almost every square inch of them. So let me ask you, am I over thinking this? Is there something that they may have done which accidentally damaged the suspension, I'm thinking of the screwdriver test? Is it possible that simply balancing the front tires could somehow cause suspension noise to become more pronounced?

Last edited:
The tires would have likely had to be trashed to hide a pop at low speeds. Seems unlikely a really good balance just revealed it.

Why replace the sway bar unless it is rotted or broken? End links and bushings sure, but the whole bar? Maybe in IL they rot out?

I would look closely at the sway bar end link bolts and the bolts for the brackets. Loosening any of those could easily cause a pop, but would be unlikely to get them sued since it won't make you wreck the car.

Kind of sickening to think they could be playing Mr. Honest while messing with your car, but something sounds a little off. I think you need to look the car over carefully and find the source of the pop, then assess. Maybe it's an honest mistake or something, maybe it's tampering.

With it in the air that could have finished a bushing that was on its way out. Or they could have pried every which way to test your suspension to give you a believable answer with similar results.

Hard saying not being there. Drive it for a day to see if it settles back in.

Anything is possible, but if you think they did something take it to a different shop and see if they will diagnose the sound and give you an estimate for fixing it.
Check all the lug nuts before sending your fiance out on the roads.

I once did brakes for a friends dad on the way to my shop car was quite and smoooth after brakes had a terrible clunk and on hard stop horrible vibration. Apon a closer look the strut bushing were bad and and being in the air must have moved them around enough to cause the problem. Not an easy sell to fix but once replaced solved the problem

I can't understand why they'd be checking the suspension unless you were gonna get the alignment checked that same day.

I vote with being in the air. I've seen it happen in my own service department whoes only job is to maintain my own fleet of vehciles. Somtimes lifting and setting back down is all it takes if bushings were already almost gone. I would t stress. I don't think at any point they tried to rip you off. JMHO

Yup. I've seen this before. Prying and wiggling questionable parts can sometimes cause noises to develop.

Especially if the bushings are ready to separate anyway.

Quote:
Why replace the sway bar unless it is rotted or broken? End links and bushings sure, but the whole bar? Maybe in IL they rot out?

Might actually be the factory-recommended method. That's not new...it goes back 40+ years!

Yes probably being lifted up with the suspension parts hanging worn out it upset it.

Sounds like a great shop honestly. They could have easily hosed you for more than one sensor and rotated the tires to get your bill higher.

It's certainly possible putting it in the air did it, and they 100% were not trying to do anything unethical. But their heavy upsell before even looking at the car is suspicious and isn't really good practice. Best practice is to look the car over and actually diagnose it. Don't speculate to the customer before hand.

If a car is really rotted, or a hooptie where half the car breaks just trying to do a simple job, we avoid it. But up North shops may not have that luxury and be able to stay in business.

How does the underside of the car look overall? Rust everywhere?

The odd thing is why after finishing the work and doing a test drive, which they should still do after even this work, they didn't mention those noises....I think you've been had.

The reason they probably had all 5 stars is because most of the reviews were faked.

I'm not surprised at the results you have, the absolute brazen dishonest and crooked behavior of most shops, even independent ones is common today, they don't count on most folks being long term customers they only care about the sale today. From my personal experience I wouldn't be surprised if less than 5% of automotive service and repair shops are honest, and competent . Also because you are a hands on and informed car owner they probably don't want you to come back since they can't bend you over and get away with it. Lesson learned...
don't bother going back unless you want more problems, move on and try another shop.

Last edited:
The only advice that I find a bit strange is the "replace the anti-roll bar" recommendation. How would one wear out?

Sway bar end links can make noise if their bushings are gone, but they don't affect ride or handling that much. Same with the sway bar bushings. Things will feel "tighter" once repaired but chances are you are used to their current loosey-goosey feel and any further deterioration won't make much difference.

That's my best guess.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I never did trust tire shops for mechanical work and I sure as heck would never get my car aligned at one.

The worst are muffler shops.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
They could have easily hosed you for more than one sensor and rotated the tires to get your bill higher.

This is my thought as well. I just can't wrap my mind around a shop that would be honest enough to not do a service but then intentionally cause or increase an existing problem on the vehicle. By the way the sensors all register perfectly and the high speed vibration is completely gone. So clearly the TPMS diagnosis/replacement and balance was done correctly.

It's just the timing of the whole thing that makes me suspect. I'm going to have to jack it up myself and take a look to see if there is something that clearly is out of the norm.

Last edited:
I'd go back in to the shop and be 100% honest about the noises I thought I was hearing now and ask them to take a look at it and see if anything may have happened while car was up on the lift or being serviced. In other words I'd assume they were 100% honest until proven otherwise in this specific case especially with a trivial $100 repair bill.

The only caveat to that was that if I felt beforehand that they were completely incompetent or thieves I would not go back at all for any reason and take the car to another shop and chalk up first experience and cost to lessons learned "tuition".

Most independent shops that have been around for a while are good at making a reasonable profit but they are also honest or they don't survive and prosper. I prefer to assume these small business are honest until proven otherwise and find that a sincere honest, open, and frank conversation in a situation like this is very powerful in terms of getting help and building a relationship with the business owner.

I suggest folks adapt an attitude that they want to be a repeat long term customer and initially seek to build a trust relationship with a small business instead of approaching a small transaction like this with a mood of suspicion and mistrust which the other person will most certainly pick up on and that mood will generally produce poor results both short term and long term. Develop the practice of having open, sincere conversations and generate a mood of trust and you will get way better results over time, not always because there are always some dirtbags in the world, but most of the time honesty and trust works out just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back