repair old or cut losses? 2004 hyundai elantra...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I'm not sure how you can come up with $450 for a simple radiator, hoses and thermostat-it's about $200 in parts and maybe an hours' work to replace them. As simple as that car is to work on it's a no-brainer DIY project.

I have a Elantra that has about 135,000 miles on it and it's still going strong, with nothing other than routine maintenance.

They really aren't bad cars. I was thinking the same that's a lot for hose and a t stat. Watch some YouTube videos and sit. I get yelled at frequently from people for saying this . But if you are going to own an older car learn to fix it or know someone who will because it doesn't make sense to spend a 1,000 on fixing an old car. I guess in your case it would but spending 200 sounds like a lot better of an option the whole thing shouldn't take you but a couple of hours. The job is very easy!

thank you all.
the radiator is in.
did 3 X 20 minutes runs to get the air/bubbles out.
will keep an eye out on coolant level for next 2 weeks (or any leaks...)

Ive had a bad experience with a kia sportage we had, something would break at least once a month and I kept fixing it with the mindset that fixing a used car would be cheaper than making payments on a new car. Well eventually the head gasket went and finally got rid of it and I was convinced that some cars ( like kia and hunday )in my opinion are the biggest POS's, and are not worth putting money in.I wouldn't look in ones direction ever again.

repair. Even if you pay the $400-600 to get everything fixed, it will beat having a $300 car payment every month for 4-5 years.

I am driving a 1998 Grand Cherokee in the rust belt. Keep it washed and waxed and you can keep the rust at bay.

I would treat that car like I'm treating my wife's Scion. Drive it until something major fails on it and then get a different car. If the bill adds up to over $1000 put it on Craigslist and take whatever you can get.

good job on the repair.

watch out for the coolant pipe that runs to the passenger side of the engine. the short radiator hose from that pipe to the thermostat housing has huge potential for leakage because that pipe is really close to the engine block/head. you have to completely remove the thermostat housing, and be extra careful with it because its aluminum and very easy to crack if you over torque the bolts.

at least this is speaking from my personal experience on an 03 model, and much cursing.

update:
car has 102K miles.
still chugging along.
got new shoes (cooper CS4) all around mid-winter.
Changed the cabin filter to a new one (pheew, finally, not the makeshift type...) and got a few washes to celebrate the mileage.
not the best mpg (no, i'm rarely lead footed) but it's long paid off.
sometimes the trans shift a bit strange. the kind of "i need new engine mounts"... stop-and-go Chicago traffic doesn't help that.
it fits a lot with seats down, but the search for a vehicle with a little more usable utilitarian space is on. Hence my other mazda5/Ford freestyle/new Ford connect wagon threads...

CONGRATS!

Our 2003 Elantra now has 212k
smile.gif

it recently got new front shocks and a few months ago 2 new steel wheels to replace some bent ones...

Still running well, and is a dd/beater/grocery getter.
Paint is shot on hood, roof and trunk.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
CONGRATS!

Our 2003 Elantra now has 212k
smile.gif

it recently got new front shocks and a few months ago 2 new steel wheels to replace some bent ones...

Still running well, and is a dd/beater/grocery getter.
Paint is shot on hood, roof and trunk.

haha, congrats to you.
paint not shot, but some clear spots missing on side plastic pieces on all doors, plus both my side mirrors have at least half missing (suspect a mechanic did not fold them while going up a lift...).
plus some "good neighbors" scratches all around.
i'll have to take all 4 steel wheels out and clean and spray paint them.
have to change the left door windows opening panel (the one with lots of buttons), since my driver window does not work anymore (just button problems, nothing wrong with window/actuator/window motor). something similar with the roof window (buttons work when they want....)
probably suspension parts and bits + changing original brakes hoses should be next projects if holding the car for more than a year.
and a good cleaning (inside and outside)

P.S. the name of the car is "Sour Cherry" (because of the color). it's a "she".

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Get the cheap putty raditor patch kits. $10, max.

Sorry, i didn't trust my putty patching and crack finding abilities at the time....

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
new radiator is only around $100 parts and you can replace it in the parking lot with a ratchet in 1 hour.

[start repeat post]
Guys,
this was done in november last year. I posted about it.
is done and working well.

Thank you for the interest.
[/end repeat post]

Originally Posted By: pandus13
new radiator is only around $100 parts and you can replace it in the parking lot with a ratchet in 1 hour.

[start repeat post]
Guys,

[/end repeat post]

I say repair it. Use a piece of chewed bubble gum.

Sorry, had to..
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Originally Posted By: pandus13

[start repeat post]
Guys,

[/end repeat post]

I say repair it. Use a piece of chewed bubble gum.

Sorry, had to..
laugh.gif

i have 3 pieces of hubba bubba in my drawer from 2 halloween's ago. will these work?
do I need to send them to Blackstone for a VOA first? me thinks drowning them in beer may change and improve theyr sticking properties....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back