Rental, small moving truck?

I need to move my tool box and some PA household goods from PA to FL. I need a small truck, a touch larger than a van, but not the size of a home moving truck. Whoa man are they expensive. A 12 foot truck (no dual tires) from one company is $5K after taxes, one way. That's absurd. Other companies are just over $3K plus taxes.

Any thoughts on a less expensive alternative? At this point, I might as well purchase my own moving truck...

You might want to look into ship.com. I have used them, but takes some time and recommend you be ver selective.

U-Box from U-Haul, you load it at U-Haul or have it delivered to your home to load (+$179 to deliver) or you can trailer it with your vehicle home to load (no extra charge). It will end up at a U-Haul facility (storage) in Fla. Rental includes one month storage. It will be another $179 to deliver to your home or just go get it and trailer it home. Cheaper than a truck rental, this thing holds 2000 pounds. You will have to get the quote from U-Haul for the note from PA-Fla. I am using one for what I have left to move from NJ-SC ($1060) plus the optional deliveries as above. Takes about 10 days to travel. My quote was from Dec. 10th, no doubt it will be more once I pull the trigger in January but beats the truck rental.

INCLUDES 10? MOVING BLANKETS TOO!

What places did you try? UHaul, Penske etc? I think they're more at the end of the month when everyone is moving, cheaper during the week.

IF you rent a truck, double check the size/weight limit for coverage on your auto insurance policy.
Rental places always offer it, but policies vary in what is covered and what is not.

Not a truck rental but maybe UPS freight? I made some assumptions on their calculator (700lbs, Class 85) from PA zip 18505 to FL zip 33332 it came back at $2,874 but they took 75% off for a total of $926 including the fuel surcharge.

Fwiw if you’re going back or are in fla with a tow vehicle they told me you can take a daily rental trailer anywhere in Us as long as you return it to the same place.

Sometimes it is cheaper to pay the additional miles if you pick the truck up elsewhere.

15' Truck $1063 CMH to Jupiter. Allows 5 days and 1331 miles. Additional miles are .40 each on this size truck for a one way move.

Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 8.23.30 PM.jpeg

Fwiw if you’re going back or are in fla with a tow vehicle they told me you can take a daily rental trailer anywhere in Us as long as you return it to the same place.
Wow, that's an interesting idea. I wonder if a 4 day trailer rental would work out. I drive the trip regularly. My guess is that it would add up to the same and I'd do more driving. But ya never know.

My tool box is North of 2000 pounds, plus the home goods are heavy too.

In 2018 I flew to Oregon with my dad to help him bring his big tool boxes back from the body shop he was working at. We rented a Uhaul truck and trailer. We needed a trailer with a ramp, but Uhaul only rents the 6x12 trailers with ramp for "local" reservations. But, they do have a 5x9.

You'll need help and a come along too to push that toolbox up the ramp. We could barely do it with the come along.

i dont know any prices but check out enterprise truck rental. They have some fairly large trucks

Buy a small trailer. Do your move and sell it in Florida
I like this idea. Although I would be tempted to just keep it. How often might it get used, and thus time to pay off?

I like mine, loaded it a few times, and… it was nice sometimes to not have to unload right now, just park out of the way.

For a Denver to No. NJ move the truck rental rates were surprising....along the lines of $3,400 one-way.
The family went with "one of the pod companies" for a number closer to $1,500. This was 2 years ago.
The yard the trucking company used was just 10 miles from the destination address in Secaucus.

h

Back