Rental review - 2024 4Runner

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
This has to be a BITOG favorite, I know it's not a Corolla, but it's still a Toyota and although it's a 2024, it might as well be a 2004.

Pros - The ride, handling and steering are all good. It has enough power. The door panels have a lot of nice soft touch materials. The mechanical cooling fan is noisy, intrusive and lets you know you're not driving some non-descript FWD crossover. I really liked hearing it roar.

Cons - Pretty much everything else. The seats are uncomfortable after 20 mins or so, the tech is woefully outdated. The brakes are over-assisted, grabby and tough to modulate. They added "some" tech like radar cruise and auto high beams, but it doesn't have auto headlights! The infotainment system is a joke and the digital clock is as much of a throwback as the gated shifter...they couldn't even find a way to sync the times on the two clocks. I hit the "app" button and two apps that I wouldn't even consider apps popped up. Has the same cheap feeling cruise control stalk and mirror controls as a 2005 Corolla.

Bottom line, not sure about it's offroad capabilities and that might be a huge reason to buy this. As a pavement princess, no way.

bhQLpjG.jpeg

hM9pmJz.jpeg

77SgHxt.jpeg

B8Z25wP.jpeg

f2lU94I.jpeg

lPjVGIa.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m not a Toyota fanboi, and realize that these vehicles are somewhat outdated and a bit of a pig. My wife had a 2wd one years ago in HS/college. They aren’t that much different….

But I had one as a rental not too long ago, and frankly was pleasantly surprised. It wasn’t that loud, wasn’t uncomfortable, and was powerful enough. I really couldn’t complain…

"If I could turn back time..." -Cher
If this were 10 years ago, I'd love it. Rubbermaid/Tupperware and built to last.

But, it's 2024 and I have to say, yeah, it's too old.

My dad had a 2007 FJ Cruiser that was mechanically nearly identical and I loved that thing. Off-road capability was incredible.

It's amazing how the value holds up on them with how dated they are too. Cult-like following.

This has to be a BITOG favorite, I know it's not a Corolla, but it's still a Toyota and although it's a 2024, it might as well be a 2004.

Pros - The ride, handling and steering are all good. It has enough power. The door panels have a lot of nice soft touch materials. The mechanical cooling fan is noisy, intrusive and lets you know you're not driving some non-descript FWD crossover. I really liked hearing it roar.

Cons - Pretty much everything else. The seats are uncomfortable after 20 mins or so, the tech is woefully outdated. The brakes are over-assisted, grabby and tough to modulate. They added "some" tech like radar cruise and auto high beams, but it doesn't have auto headlights! The infotainment system is a joke and the digital clock is as much of a throwback as the gated shifter...they couldn't even find a way to sync the times on the two clocks. I hit the "app" button and two apps that I wouldn't even consider apps popped up. Has the same cheap feeling cruise control stalk and mirror controls as a 2005 Corolla.

Bottom line, not sure about it's offroad capabilities and that might be a huge reason to buy this. As a pavement princess, no way.

bhQLpjG.jpeg

hM9pmJz.jpeg

77SgHxt.jpeg

B8Z25wP.jpeg

f2lU94I.jpeg

lPjVGIa.jpeg
I have been saying this for over 5 years and am ostracized every single time on this forum for saying so. The seats are absolutely horrible. The things is-with this current generation they have always been-it wasn't a production change or anything.

I have been saying this for over 5 years and am ostracized every single time on this forum for saying so. The seats are absolutely horrible. The things is-with this current generation they have always been-it wasn't a production change or anything.
Yet to sit in Toyota with good seats.
Even Limited models have seats that are short or lack back support.

bhQLpjG.jpeg

hM9pmJz.jpeg

77SgHxt.jpeg

B8Z25wP.jpeg

f2lU94I.jpeg

lPjVGIa.jpeg
90% of them are pavement princesses. True off-roaders will get these when they turn 15yrs old.

@dishdude.

Unless I missed it earlier, what rental company, and in what city did you get a 4 Runner as a rental car?

When I was working and traveling weekly, I always seemed to get Kia Rios as my "pick" from the Emerald Aisle...

@dishdude.

Unless I missed it earlier, what rental company, and in what city did you get a 4 Runner as a rental car?

When I was working and traveling weekly, I always seemed to get Kia Rios as my "pick" from the Emerald Aisle...

National out of SLC. I am "Executive" lol. National usually has some really nice, low mileage, well equipped cars that you can pick from above what you reserve. IMO they are the best rental car company out there. This 4Runner only has 2500 miles on it.

My cousin was really happy he got 13mpg in his....

Maybe if I lived somewhere out west in the mountains when/if I retire.

I had a 1993 4Runner that I bought new. Went back to pickups shortly after.

I rented one two winters ago in Florida. It was like a time machine. No six disc changer but seemed exactly the same otherwise.

That roll down rear window though!!! So nice.

Prior to getting the ZR2 I was interested in a new 4Runner. I liked the 4Runner despite it being a dinosaur. If you're not interested in all the new technology, and just need an extremely reliable SUV that has off-road capability, it's still competitive and why it has continued to sell.

My opinion will maybe not be shared by many but I think Toyota lost its magic with the 4runner some years after the original ones that made them famous. The same with the Pathfinder. I never owned either but had many friends with them and spent lot's of times in the original versions. What made them really cool (imho) is that they looked great, they drove well, and they were extremely reliable and well made. And there really was nothing else like them at the time. But the newer ones seem really blah to me - certainly not the head turners they were back in the day. And I'm not a modern vehicle hater, I just think that *magic* the original ones had is long gone. Makes me wonder what a NOS 1st or 2nd generation 4runner or Pathfinder would be worth these days? A lot I bet.

On side a note the Accord and Camry have suffered the same fate, imo. Both are big, bloated, ugly vehicles that have nothing in common with the earlier generations other than name. Sure they're decent vehicles, certainly reliable and they drive nice. But that 'magic' of the earlier generations is long gone, imo.

My cousin was really happy he got 13mpg in his....
That was my complaint as well, the one time I rented one (but it was several years ago and I don't knew when the generations begin/end). I attributed the poor mileage to either a) poor California gas or b) California high winds and hills but it made for some anxious Rt. 66 drives in the desert. If I had to do it over I would bring along a 5-gal. can of gas!

You can't beat the 4.0 V6 and 5-spd auto if you want longevity and reliability. So many people here complain about turbos, DI, and CVT...well, these 4runners are the antithesis of modern vehicles until the 2025 model rolls out. Also, the 4Runner is built in Japan at the well-esteemed Tahara plant which is worth something.

That said, a GX460 slightly used seems like a better value proposition to me.

P.S. Pretty funny this trim still doesn't receive auto headlights.

Last edited:

bhQLpjG.jpeg

hM9pmJz.jpeg

77SgHxt.jpeg

B8Z25wP.jpeg

f2lU94I.jpeg

lPjVGIa.jpeg

FWIW, I wouldn't buy the SR5 either. Although the 4wd SR5 can do pretty well on 4wd trails, with just the A-Trac.

It's a whole different experience looking out over a hood equipped with the fake hoodscoop...

Back