Rental Car Review: 4 Days with a Tesla Model 3 Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
not one question about the climate control system. how do these cope in extreme heat and severe cold? no one ever mentions this
Here in Hot n Sticky south Florida, the AC on Tesla cars works just fine. AND a whole bunch better than some lesser cars (certain Subaru's come to mind) that have inadequate AC systems for any climate south of NY.

As to whether you'd be satisfied with a Tesla's heat while living in Alaska might depend on whether you use a garage and can plug it in at night. It's kind of nice to have a pre-heated car...

As for cold weather range of EV's, we must remember that chemical reactions slow markedly as temperature drops. Add in the additional heat load required to create a 70 or 80 degree temperature differential (outside to inside) and it's no surprise EV range takes a serious hit when temps are really low. Unfortunately, Tesla tends to publish cold weather range numbers that are entirely incorrect. Along with some famous YouTube personalities doing cold weather range tests with fully warmed up batteries.

not one question about the climate control system. how do these cope in extreme heat and severe cold? no one ever mentions this
I had no problems in 110+ heat in my Model 3. It cooled fine and while sure it affected the battery range, it wasn't that dramatic.

Even after almost four years, most of the criticism leveled in the original posting is still valid! For example, software updates for the sake of software updates still drive me nuts because suddenly I find myself trying to figure out how to do simple stuff like turn on radio and just gave up during drive. It is almost as if I need to watch hours of youtube video just to figure our what got changed in latest software update. The so called "auto pilot" still drives like a teenager and needs to be constantly baby sit.

One thing is still true; any time I drive it, it sill puts a grin across my face even with the chill mode on!

Even after almost four years, most of the criticism leveled in the original posting is still valid! For example, software updates for the sake of software updates still drive me nuts because suddenly I find myself trying to figure out how to do simple stuff like turn on radio and just gave up during drive. It is almost as if I need to watch hours of youtube video just to figure our what got changed in latest software update. The so called "auto pilot" still drives like a teenager and needs to be constantly baby sit.

One thing is still true; any time I drive it, it sill puts a grin across my face even with the chill mode on!
Vikas, just use the voice controls. I press the button and say, "Play Muddy Waters."

I drove a Tesla 3 and it was just ok. I didn't think it rode that great and but the electronics are very nice but other cars and trucks are getting about the same in todays modern technology. I sure didn't get the WOW factor that I thought I would.

Originally Posted by Boomer
I have been writing to my local state reps and senators about taxing electric cars for their use of the roads. I pay a lot of taxes (through gas purchases) to use the roads. It seems to me that it is only fair that e-car users get an annual bill for road taxes of several hundred dollars to make them comparable to gas cars. Nobody should be able to use a taxpayer supported road system with out paying for the privelege.

Hope you included the Amish and bicycle riders.
smirk2.gif

EVs are still in the early adopter phase of their development. Early adopters are willing to adjust to own and experience new technology. Most people aren't and won't accept EVs until it's a seamless choice between ICE and EV.

A high percentage of US households could easily live with an EV as the 2nd or 3rd vehicle in the fleet.
My dino car was not subsidised by government.... I paid 100%
I pay high taxes in fuels.. these taxes go to highway and roads repair, ev are much heavier... making more damage.
How come they just pay for charging and no taxes ??
Debates in eu started about this, if everyone goes ev, government will lose big € in taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back