Renegotiating salary offer, should be done or not?

It just doesn't make sense to take a job where almost the entire take home pay is being eaten up by commuting expenses. She hasn't signed anything (and frankly even if she had) now is the time for her to speak up, there is nothing wrong with explaining the situation and asking for a higher salary - the worst they can say is no.

It just doesn't make sense to take a job where almost the entire take home pay is being eaten up by commuting expenses. She hasn't signed anything (and frankly even if she had) now is the time for her to speak up, there is nothing wrong with explaining the situation and asking for a higher salary - the worst they can say is no.

Have to agree.

I view it as an engagement, but then calling off the marriage. Both parties may be saddened, hurt. But still better than a divorce after an unwise marriage.

My wife is the breadwinner in the family. I max out my 401k and HSA. After these deductions as well as insurance I sometimes feel that my paychecks are not large enough but realize that I am storing away for the future. Your wife has been out of the workforce for a long time. It is a risk for her as well as the employer. I'm sure alot has changed in 10 years. Take the job, network with other employees, find out how they handle the situation with high expenses and prove yourself. During this time she will learn earning potential and they will learn what she brings to the company. She can always quit down the road all while building her resume.

Maybe she accepted a low offer and there was room to negotiate? I will or do some research and check out salary sites like glassdoor.com to see what other people doing her job are making.

I agree.

If she takes the job she will be unhappy from day one knowing she should have asked for more money.

There is something else going on here that we don't know about.
Given today's job/employment market, for a person to have no luck finding a job after 7-8 months of looking doesn't make sense, particularly in the healthcare industry.
Another thing that doesn't make sense is the prospective employer's having her make a verbal commitment to stay 5 years. I didn't hear anything about them making the same commitment to her. Personally, I would NEVER make that kind of a promise to a prospective employer.
IMO she should keep looking. She should just respectfully decline their offer because it doesn't make economic sense, and that is what she should tell them. This won't look bad on her job record because she did not actually work there.
There is nothing going on.
Not being able to find a job after searching for 7-8 months is not that uncommon. Job search boards are full of it. She got few interviews, and in every interview she was offered lip service of her dedication to parenting, but that's about it. At the end, she was told that they are looking for someone with current experience (which they knew she doesn't have, from her resume, so why they bothered to waste time is beyond me.) Even for this job, she is overqualified.

Whatever essential I needed for comments, I mentioned in the OP. When one says, healthcare, people only think of standard healthcare jobs, like RN, and equivalent. This is a niche job, and salary varies greatly. Actually, the salary they offered (and she accepted) is more than what she found on Glassdoor, and job postings in CO (where the job posting must accompany salary). So the salary itself is not bad at all, but the parking costs made it sour.

I can't divulge more details than what is in the OP, so pls don't read more into it.

Last edited:
My wife is the breadwinner in the family. I max out my 401k and HSA. After these deductions as well as insurance I sometimes feel that my paychecks are not large enough but realize that I am storing away for the future. Your wife has been out of the workforce for a long time. It is a risk for her as well as the employer. I'm sure alot has changed in 10 years. Take the job, network with other employees, find out how they handle the situation with high expenses and prove yourself. During this time she will learn earning potential and they will learn what she brings to the company. She can always quit down the road all while building her resume.
This is one well-rounded comment, mirrors my thought process. Thank you, appreciate it.

Back