removed for relative anonymity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sympathize. I had a neighbor repetitively mow into my yard, giving the illusion the mowed part belonged to him, and it visually reduced the appearance of my lot severely. I did not want to confront him, since he was elderly, so I planted some seedlings to create a natural fence line. After several weeks, he "accidentally" mowed every last one of them down...

It seems like your neighbors have a right to build their fence any way they want on their property, but so do you. In this case, invest in a survey, get the official line staked out, then build a fence 6"-1' inside the property line. Fences will make a good neighbor.

Adverse possession requires that they are also paying the taxes for said portion of land and that no one else is rightly laying owning claim to it. No way that would apply in this case.

If it bothers you enough, you either need to inform them of the issue, and/or pay for a survey and fence.
Survey already completed. I am tracking on the rest. I just don't know how to tactfully inform them of the issue. I can be as tactful as possible but if they persist I won't be a happy camper. I feel like changing this post to cheap fence types.

I can't enjoy that end of my property because if I want to hang out over on that end of the property they let their dogs out to start barking in addition to their mowing it. However the emphasis would be on the former point.
So your problem is not where the fence is but their barking dogs? Does your area have ordinances about dogs?

I sympathize. I had a neighbor repetitively mow into my yard, giving the illusion the mowed part belonged to him, and it visually reduced the appearance of my lot severely. I did not want to confront him, since he was elderly, so I planted some seedlings to create a natural fence line. After several weeks, he "accidentally" mowed every last one of them down...

It seems like your neighbors have a right to build their fence any way they want on their property, but so do you. In this case, invest in a survey, get the official line staked out, then build a fence 6"-1' inside the property line. Fences will make a good neighbor.
Survey already completed. Thanks for the warning on the seedlings "accidentally" getting mowed down.

I believe that this couple probably looked at each other when they build the house and said...build it right to the edge at that point and no one will complain when we mow onto their property.

This is the bottom line. I believe that they want their property to look bigger than it is for their guests.

I can't enjoy that end of my property because if I want to hang out over on that end of the property they let their dogs out to start barking in addition to their mowing it. However the emphasis would be on the former point.
In your "bundle of rights" that go with the owning of real property is "P.U.E.D.E.". You have the right to "Possess", "Use", "Encumber", "Dispose" and "Enjoy".

If you can convince a Judge, if you want to go that far, that your "Enjoy(ment)" of your property is being infringed upon..."something" could be done to correct the situation.

Ed

So your problem is not where the fence is but their barking dogs? Does your area have ordinances about dogs?

No, that is not the big picture actually. They took a liberal perspective on how to build their home and fence. Perfectly legal.

However, if I exercise my right to stand at the edge of my property that makes me the creeper and they "accidentally" let their dogs when they see me to ruin my chances of enjoyment on my own property. There is a local ordinance about barking dogs but the dogs have to be barking for quite a while.

In your "bundle of rights" that go with the owning of real property is "P.U.E.D.E.". You have the right to "Possess", "Use", "Encumber", "Dispose" and "Enjoy".

If you can convince a Judge, if you want to go that far, that your "Enjoy(ment)" of your property is being infringed upon..."something" could be done to correct the situation.

Ed

I don't dispute this. Thanks for the PUEDE. I just hate crapping in my own back yard so to speak even though it isn't me.

Do they mow 15' on your side the entire 500' property line or just around that point where their fence comes close to your property line?

Do they mow 15' on your side the entire 500' property line or just around that point where their fence comes close to your property line?

From the point where my fence comes close to my property line they create their own "land extension" 15 feet out by "accident".

Deductions here....

Live with it.

Confront them...tell them to get a push mower for that portion....heck buy them one and tell them to mow in a straight line as per the multiple markers I paid to have put down.

Big rocks that are hard to lift, might be moveable now that I think about it, and could be expensive.

Cheapest possible fence.

Litigation.

Get outta this house.

I’d just talk with them about it. Mention it under the guise that you are thinking of putting up a fence and wanted to be clear on where your property line is and mention that you noticed they are mowing into your yard. Maybe it’s an honest mistake on their part or maybe they are just rude and will do it if you never confront them.

I’d just talk with them about it. Mention it under the guise that you are thinking of putting up a fence and wanted to be clear on where your property line is and mention that you noticed they are mowing into your yard. Maybe it’s an honest mistake on their part or maybe they are just rude and will do it if you never confront them.

Pretty reasonable. I just don't know how they are going to react. Such a wildcard. I think that they created this scenario so that they can exploit it.

That disposition might be an indicator of how they respond. I could be wrong of course.

The property lines for my current property were unclear (we have a mostly unfenced 1/2 acre) and when I asked my neighbours they said no-one cared but then told me where the thought the lines were, taking as much as 20' off of my property.

I didn't want to pay for a survey so with a bit of effort I found the metal corner survey stakes and with that joyful news ("look what I found") pointed out the corners of the property to the neighbours. They were all surprised but there didn't seem to be any hard feelings and that's been the end of the discussion.

I think I'd start by pointing out the corner posts and the property line. If that doesn't solve the problem I'd park something close to the property line and leave it there for a few weeks. That should stop the mowing.

The property lines for my current property were unclear (we have a mostly unfenced 1/2 acre) and when I asked my neighbours they said no-one cared but then told me where the thought the lines were, taking as much as 20' off of my property.

I didn't want to pay for a survey so with a bit of effort I found the metal corner survey stakes and with that joyful news ("look what I found") pointed out the corners of the property to the neighbours. They were all surprised but there didn't seem to be any hard feelings and that's been the end of the discussion.

I think I'd start by pointing out the corner posts and the property line. If that doesn't solve the problem I'd park something close to the property line and leave it there for a few weeks. That should stop the mowing.

Yeah "no one cares" as long as it favors them. There are visible flags between the corner stakes so they can see them now.

Parking something there would be fun. :)

I long speculated on the boundaries using a measuring wheel and I was within a foot of my observations. This reminds me that I did mention the land boundaries to the owners in the past but they quickly changed the subject....couldn't find the surveys etc. etc.....of course since they probably knew better and didn't want to lose out on making their property look bigger for their guests.

I planted the seed letting them know that I like my mowing to be precise.

Same thing was happening at my place but the neighbor was mowing roughly 50’ over the line and had started using my second driveway like they owned it because my house was abandoned/unoccupied for three years before I got to it.
What happened? I'm more interested in that than the OP's mole hill of a problem.

Deductions here....

Live with it.

Confront them...tell them to get a push mower for that portion....heck buy them one and tell them to mow in a straight line as per the multiple markers I paid to have put down.

Big rocks that are hard to lift, might be moveable now that I think about it, and could be expensive.

Cheapest possible fence.

Litigation.

Get outta this house.
Live with it. If they're bringing you cookies, why not bring it up then???

I wonder if you feel like a creeper because you're actually being a creeper. I have a ton of land I COULD hang out in near my neighbors. I don't.

/

What's up with all of the reading comprehension issues today? He clearly mentioned having had a survey done.

/

Forfeiting his land due to this issue: laughable!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back