Remote Start Issue

So... I think I may have caused this. My wife got a new 2021 Traverse back in May. Last week, I rotated the tires. When I was retraining the TPMS monitors, I was trying to figure out how to get the dash into learn mode and I pressed the lock and unlock buttons on the remote at the same time (because that's how you do it on my Suburban).
I finally figured it out but now the car doesn't start remotely. You lock the doors and press the start button and the lights flash like it's going to start but then it does nothing. I checked and it isn't in valet mode. I tried pressing the lock and rear hatch buttons, I tried with the door open and door closed...
It's getting cold outside and I'm sure she isn't too happy with me right now.

This morning I went out to start the car for her and when I unlocked the door it said remote left in car. Is it possible the remote she lost is in there and will it not start if it is? Not sure if that adds up though because she lost that remote when the car was 10 days old and it's been starting up until last week.

Anyone else had this happen?

So, she lost one of the remote key fobs? Well, you may have found its general location. Check everywhere including under the seats and in the hatchback area, clove boxes/center console.

So it does not explain why the remote start stopped working a week ago but the keyfob was lost a long time ago. But I would look in every crack and crevice you can find. Feel with fingers and look with a flashlight.

You may need the dealer to remove all keyfobs and reprogram for the one you have,

I would consider getting another keyfob unless you have a spare key to use that does not require a keyfob.

Many cases its easy to program a new keyfob if you have two working keyfobs. Much harder if only one working keyfob.

I went through that entire car with a fine tooth comb last night. There's no remote in there.

I told her to take it to the dealer. They owe her an owner's manual anyway.

OK. Remote start issue is straightened out. First, let me say I don't drive this car. MY truck, you press lock once and then the start button and it starts. My wife just called me and said I figured it out. I said what was it? She said I have to press lock twice then start and it starts.

WHY this suddenly became an issue last week is beyond me. Whatever. As long as it works.

For the love of God I will never understand why companies are making TPMS learn process so complicated? Can someone chime in why GM, Toyota etc. cannot make automatic relearning process like some other companies do?

I just bought a 13 dollar tpms relearn tool. Tons easier than letting air out of each tire. Still, I don't understand why they can't just identify each corner.

I just bought a 13 dollar tpms relearn tool. Tons easier than letting air out of each tire. Still, I don't understand why they can't just identify each corner.
That is what absolutely drives me insane with my Toyota. VW and BMW on other hand automatically learn new sensors or ones on winter set.
This is such an old technology, yet here we are in 2021 dealing with this BS.

Yep. My wife's old car, a 2009 Kia Sorento, the sensors were silly expensive and they didn't even identify with a location. It was always just a general alarm... Check Tires.

Back