Remote mount trans coolers?

The Tacoma I haven’t touched. The Honda doesn’t have lines going to the radiator. Even a small factory one should help.
It will certainly be better than nothing, I just meant to say that you could get a much more effective cooler for way less money. Do you know how hot the trans is getting now?

It will certainly be better than nothing, I just meant to say that you could get a much more effective cooler for way less money. Do you know how hot the trans is getting now?
No but I do have some pdi files I can add to an app. DW1 trans fluid is pretty bad on these transmissions. Some say replace it every 15K. I got a case of Amsoil universal waiting to go in.

No but I do have some pdi files I can add to an app. DW1 trans fluid is pretty bad on these transmissions. Some say replace it every 15K. I got a case of Amsoil universal waiting to go in.
If I remember correctly those new Pilots have a ZF 9 speed that takes a special fluid rather than the standard DW1, so make darn sure the Amsoil fluid is compatible before you use it!
EDIT: I just checked, your Pilot was available with both a standard 6 speed auto and the ZF 9 speed auto. The 6 speed takes DW1 so Amsoil fuel efficient ATF can be used, the ZF 9 speed takes special fluid and Amsoil currently doesn't make a fluid for it.

Last edited:
After using this setup for a while, I have more info. It works pretty well, the trans usually runs at about 150 on a hot day and rarely goes above 160 with the fan on unless I am pushing it. I would say this setup works about as well as the cooler I had in front of the condenser when cruising down the highway and it definitely works better than my previous cooler when sitting in traffic since it has its own fan. I don't see the trans temp becoming a problem with this setup as long as the fan is on. I'm guessing installing the filter will reduce temps a couple more degrees since it will add surface area.

The one problem I am having is that crappy eBay fan is starting to squeal and grind, so I am not expecting it to last too much longer. I am planning on getting a Spal fan to replace it with, but I need to measure to see how big of a fan I can fit on that shroud since I would like to get their 9 inch fan if possible. I don't like the looks of their 7.5 inch fan because the motor is ridiculously big compared to the blades, creating a significant dead zone in the middle. Either way I'm sure it would work better than the crappy fan I have on it now though, that thing is a noisy piece of crap.

Back