Remanufactured Engine Experiences?

I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) with the 4.0 that is shedding fine metal into the oil so I've been researching engine re-manufacturers. The engine had a new cam and lifters installed around 2-3k ago ( chasing a tick and low vacuum) and I think something didn't seat right and is getting chewed up and it's back to ticking. With all that metal floating around in the oil, I'm sure the engine doesn't have too much longer to live.

This is a toy jeep for me, used mainly for weekend off-road trips. It's lifted and has 33's, re-geared etc, I can take my time with the swap over a few weekends in my spare time.

There are so many positive and negative reviews on companies like Jasper, S and J engines, ATK etc, so I'm looking for some real world reviews of companies you've used for remanufactured engines. It's hard to sort through what is true VS fake on Google.

Those of you that have used a reman engine, who did you use and what was your experience? I'm not interested in using a local rebuilder as I'm short on actual free time to tinker on the weekends and don't want to hassle with transporting my engine to and from the shop ( I don't have a truck etc) . I just want a engine dropped at my house and I can return the core in the crate and have it picked up.

Thanks in advance!

Probably a good question for a Jeep forum, there may be a company that specializes in the 4.0.

Probably a good question for a Jeep forum, there may be a company that specializes in the 4.0.
Thanks, I've sorted through a lot of the Jeep forums but unfortunately its the same type of info. Some have good luck with ATK for example then there are 4 bad reviews or no long term info. Or the reviews are all old. I'm struggling to find any good long term data around reliability.

I put a reconditioned red block engine in my '92 Volvo in 2002. It has run flawlessly for 19 years. It came from Advance Auto. The company they got engines from was called RECON. I believe their operation was in Philadelphia. I knew I'd be keeping the car for a long time so I spent more to get a reliable engine rather than going to a pick-n-pull and taking a huge chance.

1619454947017.jpg

For such a vehicle I'd look for a used one. I just bought a used engine for an '07 vehicle and it was about half the cost of a reman'd and came with a 6 month warranty. Of course you have the same vetting process for the engine seller.

I got a Marshall engine via RockAuto for 2001 Jeep GC. Two issues. The first engine was never cleaned properly and there was a plugged oil galley. Marshall replaced that engine after the first engine was trashed in the first 5 minutes of operation. Second problem is the UOA showed minor copper. Never figured out why. Never caused a problem. Put on 80K on the engine and sold it working.

So questions to ask, 1) was it rebuilt with non OEM pistons to void the piston skirt cracking problem. 2) What about the heads (#310 casting)? Did they use another casting number?

(I could have the casting # of the head that cracks wrong.)

For such a vehicle I'd look for a used one. I just bought a used engine for an '07 vehicle and it was about half the cost of a reman'd and came with a 6 month warranty. Of course you have the same vetting process for the engine seller.

These 4.0 engines can have piston skirts crack and drop and destroy the engine. I would get an engine with pistons designed to avoid that issue.

I got a Marshall engine via RockAuto for 2001 Jeep GC. Two issues. The first engine was never cleaned properly and there was a plugged oil galley. Marshall replaced that engine after the first engine was trashed in the first 5 minutes of operation. Second problem is the UOA showed minor copper. Never figured out why. Never caused a problem. Put on 80K on the engine and sold it working.

So questions to ask, 1) was it rebuilt with non OEM pistons to void the piston skirt cracking problem. 2) What about the heads (#310 casting)? Did they use another casting number?

(I could have the casting # of the head that cracks wrong.)
While someone could have put in a later engine in his ‘97, the cracking heads didn’t occur until very late ‘99 or after. Good to check on that, though.

I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) with the 4.0 that is shedding fine metal into the oil so I've been researching engine re-manufacturers. The engine had a new cam and lifters installed around 2-3k ago ( chasing a tick and low vacuum) and I think something didn't seat right and is getting chewed up and it's back to ticking. With all that metal floating around in the oil, I'm sure the engine doesn't have too much longer to live.

This is a toy jeep for me, used mainly for weekend off-road trips. It's lifted and has 33's, re-geared etc, I can take my time with the swap over a few weekends in my spare time.

There are so many positive and negative reviews on companies like Jasper, S and J engines, ATK etc, so I'm looking for some real world reviews of companies you've used for remanufactured engines. It's hard to sort through what is true VS fake on Google.

Those of you that have used a reman engine, who did you use and what was your experience? I'm not interested in using a local rebuilder as I'm short on actual free time to tinker on the weekends and don't want to hassle with transporting my engine to and from the shop ( I don't have a truck etc) . I just want a engine dropped at my house and I can return the core in the crate and have it picked up.

Thanks in advance!
Seriously, the only way to make sure you get good parts in a reman is to supervise the assembly of the engine yourself. I know you ruled that out, but...

LS swap...? :)
If I had $8+K that would be an option. I'm not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole either though. :)

I have been looking at ATK's 4.7 stroker. A little more power and you can get a list of what they actually use in it. I guess it's a different division than their regular rebuilding shop from what I've been able to find. I'm not up for dropping $7K into a Golen and Titan has very hit or miss reviews.

What I really want is a reman engine, Ideally with a new head that they actually tell me what parts they use. I'd like to use good USA name brand parts and am wiling to pay a little more for it.

Seriously, the only way to make sure you get good parts in a reman is to supervise the assembly of the engine yourself. I know you ruled that out, but...
Yeah I hear you. I may just have to bite the bullet if I can't find what I am looking for. I just didn't want to mess around with burning up a few days renting a truck and carting the engine around etc. My weekend time is scarce so it's valuable :)

Powertrainproducts.net.

Maybe. But I am not sure the local rebuilders can afford the high priced machinery that the larger companies have, Marshall Engines has a $50K crankshaft polisher. Thats one piece of machinery and its $50K.

If you are on a budget I would call LKQ or Green Leaf Auto.

You can get a used engine, tested running, and you can buy a warranty from them.

They do pay on warranties, just read the terms carefully. They also negotiate on price of the engine and the warranty so give a call.

If you are on a budget I would call LKQ or Green Leaf Auto.

You can get a used engine, tested running, and you can buy a warranty from them.

They do pay on warranties, just read the terms carefully. They also negotiate on price of the engine and the warranty so give a call.
Not really on a set budget, just depends on what I'm paying for. I would pay more for name brand bearings, new ( or fully reman) heads etc. It all depends. What I'm not finding is a reman that lists what they use. I don't really want Chinese bearings etc.

Back