Relocating to Manhattan KS area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning. I am looking for anyone that has knowledge of the Manhattan KS / Junction City KS area. Looks like work might require a relocation to the area and I have very little first hand knowledge about the area. I am mainly looking for info on affordable housing and places to avoid, cost of living, things to be aware of kind of stuff. With Manhattan being a college town and Junction City being near Ft. Riley it looks like the housing market favors landlords. Still many variables at this point that have yet to be worked out. Thanks in advance for the guidance.

I would wait to move there until next fall, when it is pretty nice weather. It will be very cold this winter, stormy in the spring, then suddenly get very hot and humid in June. Around september to october it will be pretty nice. Then winter sets in and you could have anything from heavy snows to deep subfreezing temperatures and howling winds.

Originally Posted By: PurpleT
Good Morning. I am looking for anyone that has knowledge of the Manhattan KS / Junction City KS area. Looks like work might require a relocation to the area and I have very little first hand knowledge about the area. I am mainly looking for info on affordable housing and places to avoid, cost of living, things to be aware of kind of stuff. With Manhattan being a college town and Junction City being near Ft. Riley it looks like the housing market favors landlords. Still many variables at this point that have yet to be worked out. Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Another Manhattan?

Yep, self-proclaimed "Little Apple", as compared to the Big Apple.

Overall, a nice town. Can't speak to the rental/house buyer market, but if your job is in Manhattan, you probably want to live in/near Manhattan.

Junction City is much nicer than it used to be. Ogden is still small, but convenient to Fort Riley.

Thanks for the replies. I guess a road trip is in order to look around and try to get a feel for the area. Does anyone know if Aggeville is as crazy as it people say it is? Seems to be a fair amount of housing options that are listed as close to Aggeville however I am not sure how that should be interpreted.

You have Ft Riley and Kansas State there, so it should be an "interesting" town.

I haven't been there since 1986 when I was an ROTC cadet and the majority of my 6 weeks there was on post, so I can't say much about the area.

Thanks again to all that posted. We drove up and looked around yesterday. No final decisions have been made however it was helpful to actually see both towns and what each offers.

Originally Posted By: PurpleT
Thanks for the replies. I guess a road trip is in order to look around and try to get a feel for the area. Does anyone know if Aggeville is as crazy as it people say it is? Seems to be a fair amount of housing options that are listed as close to Aggeville however I am not sure how that should be interpreted.

**** The Ville is not "crazy". Back when I was there the drinking age was 18. Then it was crazy! Lots of housing options cause there are lots of rental houses for the college kids! (lived by the Ville for 2 of my 4 years at KState).
Call a realtor or two for some help.

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back