Relay Theft/Hacking key fobs- Let's talk about it

Although I can’t speak for most of your concerns, I know it is a PITA when traveling with two FOB’s. One in my wife’s purse and one in my pocket. Can’t leave the purse (or extra FOB in the car). Now if I take a trip, taking the extra FOB, I wrap the extra FOB in aluminum foil and hide it somewhere in the car or leave it in wife’s purse locked in car. If something happens to my FOB, I open car with key, and unwrap the second FOB.

Been a long time since I locked the keys in my car--I started carrying spare after the last time, either in my wallet or attached to the house keys (I carry two sets of keys, one is just auto, that way less stress on the cylinder). Then again, I don't lock the cars while in the driveway, nor at work, only while at stores. Pretty sedate areas and I generally don't keep things of value in the cars (heck the cars aren't of any value either).

I personally dislike the fob. Yeah it's nice when the car is new. But IMO it ruins the cars usage when it gets older--who wants to pay that much for a key for a car when it's 20 years old? It's like planned obsolescence. I get it, I'm behind the times, and a cheapskate, and who knows what else.

Anyhow. No, I don't keep the fob in a baggie, it stays on a carabineer clipped to my pants. If anything, I should drop it into a baggie and leave it home, whenever I work on a car I'm always locking the doors when I roll onto the keys. Kinda annoying.

Yeah the fobs are less convenient with their bulk. My tundra actually used a key and a door lock and I abandoned its fob and didn’t miss it. The 150 though has the euro-styled combo key/fob. It feels good in the hand but is large on a keychain. I think the fob does have good safety aspects, like for my wife or daughter at night. Less fumbling, they can remain alert, etc.. so I’m not going to try to bring back the flat earth...

No I don't, nobody is going to steal a Caravan........:LOL::LOL::LOL:I

Many years ago six Caravans were stolen by young kids from our work parking lot. This was part of their gang acceptance. The youngest was 8. They drove them a couple of miles away and left them running with the keys inside.

Many years ago six Caravans were stolen by young kids from our work parking lot. This was part of their gang acceptance. The youngest was 8. They drove them a couple of miles away and left them running with the keys inside.
Well I guess that's better than the days of Sparta when boys were required to sneak up on someone and kill them in order to become a man.

I have never heard of such a thing lol. My parents cars are the only ones that have fobs and that’s three of them and only one of those three has ran the last couple years lol. So I don’t think we would have to worry about it too much.

Oh yeah, I remember those days when you could keep a spare key in your wallet and get a copy for under $10. Now those keyless go fobs are in the $500-$750 range. I think the $750 is for the newer keys, the older ones were in the $500 range. But now no one steals your car whereas before all you needed was a screwdriver to pop the ignition. Not sure if it was better when they stole your car. On the other hand, with keyless go, I never lock the keys in the car, it knows when the keys are in the car and you're wondering why it doesn't lock and then realize the keys are in the car.
Where are you getting these numbers from? A normal car push bottom key fob is like 170ish for the blank and fob and about 100 to get it cut and programmed at a locksmith. Will take the convenience and security associated with maybe spending $300 every ten years because of an oopsie.

Where are you getting these numbers from? A normal car push bottom key fob is like 170ish for the blank and fob and about 100 to get it cut and programmed at a locksmith. Will take the convenience and security associated with maybe spending $300 every ten years because of an oopsie.
Those are Mercedes prices for a keyless go keyfob. The regular keyfob without keyless go is in the $300 range. You can just get a metal key cut that just does the door/trunk for around $75. Only good news is that at that price, I haven't lost a key yet and I have two Mercedes, both with keyless go.

Oh yeah, I remember those days when you could keep a spare key in your wallet and get a copy for under $10. Now those keyless go fobs are in the $500-$750 range. I think the $750 is for the newer keys, the older ones were in the $500 range. But now no one steals your car whereas before all you needed was a screwdriver to pop the ignition. Not sure if it was better when they stole your car. On the other hand, with keyless go, I never lock the keys in the car, it knows when the keys are in the car and you're wondering why it doesn't lock and then realize the keys are in the car.
Had a friend on Long Island who was careful to put a steering wheel lock on his car. Told him that was so 1990's, at least in St. Louis it's all car jacking now.

Back