Regular oil vs. High Mileage??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please summarize for me what the main differences between regular and high mileage oil are? I need to decide if I want to run regular castrol GTX or GTX High Mileage in my marine application.
Thanks !!

Not all features are present in all HM oils, but some of the HM features include:

thicker
more seal conditioners
more detergent
more antiwear additive

I would highly recommend high mileage oil for any application from a lawn mower to a motorhome.

Guess I would want to look at the specs for marine motor oil (assume 4 stroke engine here). I suspect marine motor oil is going to have more antiwear additive, that is, it's not subject to EPA catalytic converter warranty requirements, nor CAFE, so should be more robust like high mileage oil. Actually, a HDEO like Valvoline Premium Blue or Shell Rotella might be better, since not all high mileage oils have higher levels of antiwear additive.

You maybe should post the question under the "Boat/PWC Lubrication" forum at this site. Those folks will be much more familiar with marine engines. In fact the answer may be very apparent there, just by browsing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back