Regrettable dealership experience from someone who rarely complains

The new car sale included a service agreement which had the necessary and approved parts already factored in. Attempting to fulfill that agreement by showing up with CPE and asking it be used instead unnecessarily complicates the whole interaction.

Did the jug of QSUD 5W-30 have the proper verbiage on its label to clearly indicate it meets all applicable requirements? The car’s powertrain warranty is on the line, there cannot be any doubt or question about the oil’s pedigree.

At the very least, an advance call to inquire about this substitution should have been made. The fact that no effort was made to ensure the CPE would not pose a issue for service fulfillment is troubling.

Most of the ill will that now exists between the two sides could have been avoided with some communication beforehand. Instead, the same tired old stereotypes and prejudices got reinforced and bolstered for the next time.

Guards will be up and egos will be primed, both sides determined not to be taken advantage of this time, and it will all happen again and again...different details each time, but the same outcome for sure.

😞

Obligatory weekly "Let's bash a dealer for" (insert reason here). Just another day on BITOG. For a positive dealer experience see the current "CarMax" thread here-

Wrong. I've posted plenty positive dealership experiences.

The new car sale included a service agreement which had the necessary and approved parts already factored in. Attempting to fulfill that agreement by showing up with CPE and asking it be used instead unnecessarily complicates the whole interaction.

Did the jug of QSUD 5W-30 have the proper verbiage on its label to clearly indicate it meets all applicable requirements? The car’s powertrain warranty is on the line, there cannot be any doubt or question about the oil’s pedigree.

At the very least, an advance call to inquire about this substitution should have been made. The fact that no effort was made to ensure the CPE would not pose a issue for service fulfillment is troubling.

Most of the ill will that now exists between the two sides could have been avoided with some communication beforehand. Instead, the same tired old stereotypes and prejudices got reinforced and bolstered for the next time.

Guards will be up and egos will be primed, both sides determined not to be taken advantage of this time, and it will all happen again and again...different details each time, but the same outcome for sure.

😞
QSUD is what Hyundai recommend for their vehicles. There's even an underhood sticker saying so.

Advising someone to please use the oil you brought for the "free" oil change is far from throwing a wrench into the service areas gears. Its not an abnormal, difficult or confusing request as some have mentioned.

Last edited:
These can be delicate situations, I tend to let family members handle their own business unless asked for help/opinions.

Two family members got themselves into a similar situation and the person that would equate to the Aunt was then embarrassed to go back into the establishment and face the people. The "rescue" was not viewed as such by the "rescuee".

While I agree the dealership should have used the provided oil, this really wasn't an egregious situation, she paid the same thing any one else would for that oil change / oil upgrade. Provided they actually put in the oil she paid for this was far from a heinous act.

I had a few regrettable dealership experiences, one so regrettable I'll never forget it, and it's a reason why the thought of going to a dealership for anything other than purchasing a new vehicle sickens me. It's also why I comment in these frequent threads of dealerships messing up. Don't get me wrong there are good techs in dealerships, however for every good one there are probably five or more techs that shouldn't be within 100 yards of a car.

My very first new vehicle, an 1984 Ford E-150, bought long after I started driving was totaled by a dealer, in their shoddy body shop within days of me buying it. I took the new van home, and the following morning decided to detail it, like most proud new car enthusiasts do. I put a ladder along side it to access the roof and noticed the center of the roof was gray primer, with no black paint. I took it back and was told they'd repaint the roof, I wasn't thrilled but agreed. After close to a month w/o a van, and several calls with lame responses I decide to go to their body shop and look around. Much to my disappointment there was my van parked outside with the windows open the seats soaking wet, and the center of the roof caved in, and the right side buckled out a bit. The scaffold they rigged collapsed with a guy on it and wrecked the roof. I think they were actually waiting on a replacement roof? LOL. After a lot of fighting they ended up replacing it with an 85, which I had to order and wait months for. No rental vehicle either. So the thought of them touching any of my vehicles till this day for any kind of work still makes me sick! I refuse free oil changes at delivery of a new, or any other freebies that mean bringing my vehicle to them, too much risk for me. Working at dealerships and visiting the shop just reinforced it, even decades later. Rant off, and sorry to the good techs here at Bitog.

Last edited:
Background:
My wife's aunt is our next door neighbor. She's a 65 year old who knows very little about vehicles and is very trusting. About a year ago she purchased a 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe (beautiful vehicle that sometimes shows up in the background of my "post your last OC" pics). She purchased this vehicle approximately 50 miles away for whatever reason. With the purchase she received 9 free oil changes.

Today/morning:
While throwing out my trash this morning, i saw her getting into the Santa Fe. She said she was going to visit her friends near the dealership and get her oil changed. Not knowing what bulk they use, i asked her to hold on and retrieved a jug of QSUD 5W-30 for her. I asked her to mention to the Service Writer that she brought her own oil which happens to recommended in the OM. I also let her know i'd set up a small maintenance binder for her records.

Today/afternoon:
Upon her return, she said it went well and she actually got "better oil". Well... i asked, better? She handed me the invoice which listed Mobil Synthetic 5w30 (not Mobil1). The cost to "upgrade?" $50. I blew a gasket and called the dealership. Calmly, I went over the visit and advised that she was pleased with everyone but that I had a concern. The SW again, told me they upgraded her to Mobil Synthetic. I asked....Mobil1? He said no a new product. I advised that i'm familiar with it and asked, "what makes it an upgrade? He said Mobil Synthetic is a "real synthetic vs QSUD being a blend." OK.................................................. I asked, can you please point out any link on either Shell's or Mobil's website that backs that claim. He could not. I asked to please share with me the MSDS, PDS or approvals of each so i can read where this thought process can be reinforced. He had no clue what i was talking about. TSB? Service Bulletin? Anything? He had no answer.

Once he figured out that i knew a little of what i was talking about, he said he would credit her purchase and apologized for any misunderstanding.

What burns me up is that this will happen to others and just getting a refund for my wife's aunt isn't fixing the issue.

This post was not a dig at Mobil Synthetic or at all dealerships, more so the deception experienced at this location by this SW.
No 1 - Why would you ever expect a SW to know this stuff? They just don't know and they really don't need to know.
No 2 - SW are essentially on commission. Their job is to upsell because they don't make a lot of $$ without it. Also the upselling not only puts money in the pocket of the SW but also the technician.
No 3- IMO bringing oil to the dealership unnecessarily complicates things for your Aunt. I mean why bother? You wanted to save the dealer money?

Not to be harsh, but be thankful the upsell was only for $50, and just move on. I do understand your frustration, and it is justified, but it could've been so much worse. They do this everywhere, trying to convince customers the synthetic they offer is better for $50, $100, I've even heard of $200 more. Of course the guy isn't going to know jack about oil MSDS, he is a service writer, they sell repair work to people. Most don't actually know anything about repairing cars or the oil they use in the service bay, it's not a requirement for their job which is really just marketing.

Don't even get me started on the actual criminals who charge people $1000+ for brake jobs they clearly do not need.

I'm surprised they would be willing to use customer supplied oil at all. Most places in my area will not. Last dealership I was at did a 5 qt oil and filter change for $29.95 if you brought your own oil and filter it was $29.95 labor. Where I work now just declines customer parts jobs in general, a few exceptions are made for long time very good customers but even fleet companies who try to send their box of oil and a filter are told no.

I do agree that they should not have tried to upsell to their oil and convince her it was "better".

These can be delicate situations, I tend to let family members handle their own business unless asked for help/opinions.

Two family members got themselves into a similar situation and the person that would equate to the Aunt was then embarrassed to go back into the establishment and face the people. The "rescue" was not viewed as such by the "rescuee".

While I agree the dealership should have used the provided oil, this really wasn't an egregious situation, she paid the same thing any one else would for that oil change / oil upgrade. Provided they actually put in the oil she paid for this was far from a heinous act.

I do agree that they should not have tried to upsell to their oil and convince her it was "better".
I have zero issue with the upsell attempt. But telling her it is better oil without any logical evidence to back it up is my problem. I mean, both oil are synthetic. If she brought a jug of QSGB, i'd understand.

The big picture is that he was trying to help her aunt. he is a nice guy. I can tell from posting here for a few years.

Dr. Phil's analysis:
Once the new oil (QS) was introduced into the equation, the dealer took the advantage of that mindset (i.e. oil is not oil) to further upsell. this dealer most likely would have done it anyway but their "average" customer was more primed this time ...

since new cars come with 2 or 3 years free oil changes, I consider this a scam. none of my dealers have tried to upsell. It's something that you can or should expect from quick lube places since they lure you in with $19.95 or $29.95 oil/filter changes ...

Hyundai has QS stickers all over the owners manual and inside the engine. I removed couple of those. I had one QS 5W20 sticker even on the oil cap. I think I may have abused my engine since its never seen a 20!

However, i would have told the dealer that QS has more moly and they'll understand. Everyone knows moly is good. They even teach that in high school. :unsure:

But telling her it is better oil without any logical evidence to back it up is my problem
It sounds like the explanation they gave her was good enough. It's her car, her money, and her choice. She even told you everything went well. She didn't care about the oil you gave her either, it appears.

It sounds like the explanation they gave her was good enough. It's her car, her money, and her choice. She even told you everything went well. She didn't care about the oil you gave her either, it appears.
Because she believed them that it was an "upgrade". Of course they're going to make her feel like she did the right thing. Once she understood both products are of equal quality and this was no upgrade, she became rather upset...understandably so.

No 1 - Why would you ever expect a SW to know this stuff? They just don't know and they really don't need to know.
No 2 - SW are essentially on commission. Their job is to upsell because they don't make a lot of $$ without it. Also the upselling not only puts money in the pocket of the SW but also the technician.
No 3- IMO bringing oil to the dealership unnecessarily complicates things for your Aunt. I mean why bother? You wanted to save the dealer money?

100%

Honestly the guy probably really did think the Mobil SS (or whatever it is now called) was better oil. Sure, $50 is a bit much for an upgrade to synthetic but these upsells happen in pretty much every retail industry. The free oil changes are not actually free, the whole point is to get the customer to buy stuff like this.

I can certainly understand trying to help but bottom line is if she just went about her day you never would have had something to be upset about in the first place.

I'm going to be a the contrarian here and ask you why you felt the need to get involved in the first place? Any oil the dealer used would be fine for her Santa Fe, even the bulk oil that was included with the free change. Yes, the upsell was lame but that's on her.
You're not and honestly the SW should have clearly stated which is SOP at any auto shop that "We don't use customer supplied parts." Honestly whether is Mobil 1 or Mobil "Synthetic" or Fred's Finest Oil. The Sante Fe won't care or live long enough to care as long as it is changed on schedule.

Last edited:
Some of my random statements, this is one of the reasons people have a difficult time with dealerships. Always trying to sell, upsell, and make the money that moment. I do remember from my time way back when, an oil change did not pay much, I want to say at my best paying dealership as a service writer I made $0.75 per oil change. Even with an oil upsell like that, it wouldn't pay me much of anything. Maybe they had a spiff going and every oil upsell they got some extra $$..?

When I was working in dealers, the internet was still relatively new but a fairly big thing. We got so tired of everyone internet warrior coming in telling us what they read online and appalled that we didn't memorize everything the internet said about all vehicles. That job of a service advisor/writer is a tough one, it is non stop getting yelled at by techs, customers, managers, everyone. Constantly called names, threated, belittled, for mediocre pay.

All that being said, I agree that you did the right thing taking care of family. Ridiculous they took advantage of her even though small, it shows they are willing to..

My Honda dealer usually recommends some sort of maintenance that I have already completed, I always deny. Our VW dealer is pretty good about not up-selling. They know I know better.
When I took our Element in for the airbag recall the dealer told me it needed a transmission oil change because "the fluid was dark". I had just changed it the week before, literally. I change it every 10K miles (every other engine OCI) so the fluid was bright red.

Scott

Back