Regrettable dealership experience from someone who rarely complains

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Background:
My wife's aunt is our next door neighbor. She's a 65 year old who knows very little about vehicles and is very trusting. About a year ago she purchased a 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe (beautiful vehicle that sometimes shows up in the background of my "post your last OC" pics). She purchased this vehicle approximately 50 miles away for whatever reason. With the purchase she received 9 free oil changes.

Today/morning:
While throwing out my trash this morning, i saw her getting into the Santa Fe. She said she was going to visit her friends near the dealership and get her oil changed. Not knowing what bulk they use, i asked her to hold on and retrieved a jug of QSUD 5W-30 for her. I asked her to mention to the Service Writer that she brought her own oil which happens to recommended in the OM. I also let her know i'd set up a small maintenance binder for her records.

Today/afternoon:
Upon her return, she said it went well and she actually got "better oil". Well... i asked, better? She handed me the invoice which listed Mobil Synthetic 5w30 (not Mobil1). The cost to "upgrade?" $50. I blew a gasket and called the dealership. Calmly, I went over the visit and advised that she was pleased with everyone but that I had a concern. The SW again, told me they upgraded her to Mobil Synthetic. I asked....Mobil1? He said no a new product. I advised that i'm familiar with it and asked, "what makes it an upgrade? He said Mobil Synthetic is a "real synthetic vs QSUD being a blend." OK.................................................. I asked, can you please point out any link on either Shell's or Mobil's website that backs that claim. He could not. I asked to please share with me the MSDS, PDS or approvals of each so i can read where this thought process can be reinforced. He had no clue what i was talking about. TSB? Service Bulletin? Anything? He had no answer.

Once he figured out that i knew a little of what i was talking about, he said he would credit her purchase and apologized for any misunderstanding.

What burns me up is that this will happen to others and just getting a refund for my wife's aunt isn't fixing the issue.

This post was not a dig at Mobil Synthetic or at all dealerships, more so the deception experienced at this location by this SW.

Last edited:
I don't even understand doing something like this.

Here, if a customer shows up and says "put this oil" or Lucas or whatever in their engine, that's what goes in and it's noted on the RO. Even on the service department's worst days this is SOP.

I'm going to be a the contrarian here and ask you why you felt the need to get involved in the first place? Any oil the dealer used would be fine for her Santa Fe, even the bulk oil that was included with the free change. Yes, the upsell was lame but that's on her.

I'm going to be a the contrarian here and ask you why you felt the need to get involved in the first place? Any oil the dealer used would be fine for her Santa Fe, even the bulk oil that was included with the free change. Yes, the upsell was lame but that's on her.
No offense BF, but I think he was just looking out for his Aunt. I probably would have done the same thing (giving her the QS and calling the dealership).
Good on your part wemay. (y)

My Honda dealer usually recommends some sort of maintenance that I have already completed, I always deny. Our VW dealer is pretty good about not up-selling. They know I know better.

Car service is always upsell. For yours and her piece of mind, I'd just tell her to take the free changes, and nothing , else. The free oil is good enough.
I think you may be right. The SW told me they use QS as bulk.

My Honda dealer usually recommends some sort of maintenance that I have already completed, I always deny. Our VW dealer is pretty good about not up-selling. They know I know better.
The Hyundai dealership where I bought all our Hyundai's never tried this with many or my wife either. It's a good place to deal with.

The Hyundai won't know the difference between your jug of oil and the dealer bulk. Just my thoughts.
This is what I'm thinking and wondering why interfere by giving a jug of oil and complicating things.

The upsell is standard procedure at most any dealership / service center. She didn't have to say yes, or she could have called you.

No service manager is going to know anything about MSDS, PDS, etc, but I think you know that. In his mind, it probably was an upgrade. Maybe you could fault them for being a bit aggressive with the sale pitch (selling oil to a customer that has already brought some) but good on them for crediting the purchase and making it right.

Obligatory weekly "Let's bash a dealer for" (insert reason here). Just another day on BITOG. For a positive dealer experience see the current "CarMax" thread here-

The whole thing has me wondering if it was all just a bit of confusion. Maybe the SW really did think that she brought a blend (failed the read the bottle, since all 3 oil come in green) and was simply giving her a full synthetic oil change. It could have been an honest mistake.....

Or they simply could have thought this was the perfect time for an up sell. Either way, go for you for following up with the dealership.....

Mobil 5W30 was an upgrade for $50! lol
What do they use without upgrade? Mazola Corn Oil?

good thing you called and gave them a lesson for ripping off average consumer.

Back