Redline Product Labelling ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to get in a little dig at my friends over at Redline Oil ....

The quarts of their 5w-20 synthetic at Advance Auto are only labelled ACEA "A1/B1" - surely it meets the long drain, A5/B5 spec like Mobil 1?

The quarts of 5w-30/10w-30/10w-40/20w-50 are all labelled ACEA "A5/B5", which requires a high temp, high shear viscosity < 3.5 Centipoise @ 150C.

Redlines own data shows all these viscosities have HT/HS > 3.5 Cp @ 150C. So these should all be labelled ACEA A3/B3, if not A3/B4.

To be fair, I did pick up some of their excellent "SL-1" fuel injector cleaner and a bottle of "Waterwetter" to play around with. Maybe someone can tell me if the WW is compatable with the G-12 coolant in the Audi TT? I can't remember if that's an "OAT" or "HOAT" type formulation?

I think that the labels can barely keep up with the re-formulations, as I have some 2-5 year vintage bottlesd of various RL concoctions, and they are, as you point out, widely varying in standards compliance language.

As I recall, Audi uses glysantin-based coolants. One thing to avoid with those compounds is phosphorous, because it interacts to form a nasty dark residue when exposed to air - that is the crud you see in the overflow reservoir. I stopped using WaterWetter as a result, because it seems to have a fair amt of phoshporous in it, or if it doesn't, there is something else causing the "sludgeability". I do not believe this is a problem other than a cosmetic one, but for customers, that ios what they see, and I do not like follow-up calls where they complain of "sludge" where there should be nothing but clean coolant.

And no one answered my question as to what "crime" Valvoline has been accused of - if it is in regards to Euro-mfr long-life oils, then Valvoline has spelled out which ones they claim to support, and I linked that - if you are saying that they CANNOT MEET those standards, then where is the supporting data. I truly seek to understand the point of this thread, toher than to disparage Amsoil and Valvoline.

If you search on vwvortex.com for "Water wetter", you will find some difference of opinion whether Redline Water Wetter is compatible with G12. I want to try WW also (mine is G12), but remain undecided as to whether it is safe.

Redline's HT/HS is also not measured the same way as Mobil 1/ Amsoil. I personally don't put too much stock in these specs being updated. Only very few people actually look at them although with BITOG that is increasing exponentially.

This is the brown residue that forms in the reservoir using Water Wetter with G12 that Road Rage is referring to. Here is the original link: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=404822

-

Ted, G12 incorporates state-of-the-art organic acid technology (OAT) in an ethylene glycol base.

I have no idea whether it reacts with water wetter or not. I do know that it keeps engines and cooling systems spotlessly clean inside. I replaced the head gasket on my 1997 Passat. It was factory filled with G12 and was in the engine for 7 years when I drained it. I was amazed at how clean things were.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Have to get in a little dig at my friends over at Redline Oil ....

The quarts of their 5w-20 synthetic at Advance Auto are only labelled ACEA "A1/B1" - surely it meets the long drain, A5/B5 spec like Mobil 1?

The quarts of 5w-30/10w-30/10w-40/20w-50 are all labelled ACEA "A5/B5", which requires a high temp, high shear viscosity < 3.5 Centipoise @ 150C.

Redlines own data shows all these viscosities have HT/HS > 3.5 Cp @ 150C. So these should all be labelled ACEA A3/B3, if not A3/B4.

diggin up this oldie..

m1 doesnt say theyre a5/b5, they list a1/b1 as well

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSENPVLMOMobil1_0W-20.asp

I used some WW in my 03 Stang GT, and I had the same residue in my coolant tank... I had it flushed after a year and refilled with coolant (no-WW).
Someone should ask Dave Granquist what that residue is composed of and where it comes from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back