Redline Oil Updated Data Sheets

It's a good question. I can tell you that based on what I have seen from 3rd parties - Russian Oil Club and a guy that is in Spain that also does testing, Redline's Noack values for their previous formulations were identical to what they reported on their PDSs. That doesn't mean these are, but historically I've found RL data sheets to be pretty accurate.

research NEVER rests as lubricants are improved as well as they try to cut costs!! Redlines lubes are costly but worth it depending on the application. when i changed all drivetrain lubes to redline in my 2011 fronty my mpgs averaged plus 3, quite good considering going from 16 to 19 mpgs. still use cheeper group III QuakerState fake synthetic in the engine

I have never perceived Redline as a winter oil…seems geared towards high temperature protection… noticed with newer formulation… even slightly thicker at lower temperatures with increase in flash point… wonder if that could contribute to lower Noack numbers, which look impressive.

I have never perceived Redline as a winter oil…seems geared towards high temperature protection… noticed with newer formulation… even slightly thicker at lower temperatures with increase in flash point… wonder if that could contribute to lower Noack numbers, which look impressive.
Heavier base oil cut maybe contribute to lower Noack. Little to no VII's too would help I would think. POE's have high VI I think.

Wondering if people view the new data sheets as a general improvement overall? That being said-Redline’s additive packages specifically for their high performance oils has been consistent with only slight variations since the beginning of Bitog many moons ago. Main variance has been in viscosity using the 5w30 oil as a reference… Early bitog samples and Redline data sheets used to have the operating viscosity about 10.5 with high hths and relatively low noack…currently with newest data sheets Viscosity is higher at 12-noack is lowest have seen in Redline oils at 4 and hths is about the same.

I'd like to know if Redline uses P66's help for testing. I was told Redline operates completely on their own. I'm not even sure P66 has their own dedicated engine lab. They too may rely on additive supplier or 3rd party for formulation testing.

I did send Redline an email today asking why this Catalogue-which is still on their website as a download and dated October/2021 revision-still has new-different-better numbers especially with high performance oils also noack are different… asked if new products made reflect these new numbers-which suggested different formulation-I mean having 0w20 go from 9 noack to noack of 5 and 5w20 go from 8-4 is significant… asked how you could tell manufacturers date on bottle although last ones I ordered the numbers on bottom of bottle were smudgy…I usually call Dave with these types of questions-and usually get same day response-he has always called me back same day… but figured email would be helpful so can read any responses sent back to me… did point out kind of major application error under 2012 Toyota Prius V where they recommend D-6-correct and Nonslip CVT for that transmission-which could likely cause catastrophic transmission failure as Prius-recommends Toyota World Series-or whatever it is called that is traditional low viscosity atf version.

Wow their Noack values are now crazy low. By far the lowest in the industry. Thanks for sharing.And I believe it will be in the best interest of the country or someone in their 80s to step back to the party is going to be healthy and mentally
Not sure how I made a double-post so sorry about that.

Last edited:
Wow their Noack values are now crazy low. By far the lowest in the industry. Thanks for sharing.And I believe it will be in the best interest of the country or someone in their 80s to step back to the party is going to be healthy and mentally

Last edited:
I did send Redline an email today asking why this Catalogue-which is still on their website as a download and dated October/2021 revision-still has new-different-better numbers especially with high performance oils also noack are different… asked if new products made reflect these new numbers-which suggested different formulation-I mean having 0w20 go from 9 noack to noack of 5 and 5w20 go from 8-4 is significant… asked how you could tell manufacturers date on bottle although last ones I ordered the numbers on bottom of bottle were smudgy…I usually call Dave with these types of questions-and usually get same day response-he has always called me back same day… but figured email would be helpful so can read any responses sent back to me… did point out kind of major application error under 2012 Toyota Prius V where they recommend D-6-correct and Nonslip CVT for that transmission-which could likely cause catastrophic transmission failure as Prius-recommends Toyota World Series-or whatever it is called that is traditional low viscosity atf version.
I'm new to the forum and I'm not all that savvy on some of this; posting to the wrong member. 🤷‍♂️
I have a 4,100-pound, 2017 Chevy SS Sedan with an LS3 w/6L80 trans., and occasionally I tow a trailer. I've been using REDLINE 5W/20 most of the time of ownership with 54k. The car is my daily driver but most of my runs are 400-mile freeway trips @84-mph with summer ambient temperatures ranging from 100~117. Never had any perceived issues but after reading your comment, perhaps I'm using the wrong stuff?

I'm new to the forum and I'm not all that savvy on some of this; posting to the wrong member. 🤷‍♂️
I have a 4,100-pound, 2017 Chevy SS Sedan with an LS3 w/6L80 trans., and occasionally I tow a trailer. I've been using REDLINE 5W/20 most of the time of ownership with 54k. The car is my daily driver but most of my runs are 400-mile freeway trips @84-mph with summer ambient temperatures ranging from 100~117. Never had any perceived issues but after reading your comment, perhaps I'm using the wrong stuff?
Redline oil historically and now are on the thicker side-so if your vehicle calls for a 5w20 oil-I would feel comfortable running redline 5w20 in the summer…they use less amount of viscosity improvers, which can break down over time-especially in the narrower range oils like 5w20 or their 10w30…. To keep Redline is the perfect summer/hot weather oil…I don’t feel quite as confident with Redline oils generally speaking in the winter….but even then they should be fine…are you using Redline’s transmission fluid in your vehicle?

I feel badly forgot to post email inquiry made to redline oil… this was my email to Dave at Redline and he did get back to me the same day in response…
Enquiry: Hi-I have used Redline products in most all of my vehicles for the last 15 years or so. I noticed the download Catalogue which was revised on 10/21…has updated specifications-specifically noticed the high performance motor oils all have notably lower noack numbers-why hasn’t the website been updated to reflect new data? How can you tell when oil was manufactured based on bottle? I have bought redline from website eliteracefab.com-seem to discount different oils and most other fluids in there. Also under application guide for 2012 Prius V-you recommend both d-6, which is correct fluid and nonslip cvt-which is incorrect for Prius. Also noticed on new catalogue-you typed in 2200 zinc phosphorus for high performance oils-think that amount is usually reserved for racing oils… thank you again for making great product… can email anytime-text cell or call cell.

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the current catalog reflects the updated Motor Oil characteristics, we plan to update the web site when those products are released. We had intended to update those products late last year unfortunately the additive necessary has been on allocation. We don’t apply an open date code on the bottles, the new label will reflect the updated product.

The 2012 Prius V CVT transaxle calls for the WS ATF, the D6ATF is a suitable replacement, the Non-Slip CVT fluid is also suitable in Toyota WS CVT applications and the reason both are mapped to reflect that.

That is a misprint in the catalog, the High Performance Motor Oils contain about 1225ppm zinc and 1375ppm phosphorus.

Thanks for your careful reading of the new catalog, bringing the misprint to my attention and support of Red Line over the years.

Regards,

Dave Granquist

This was my follow up response to his email back to me…
Thank you so much for the response David. Posted my question to you on bob is the oil guy and going to post your response… mentioned how wonderful you have been over the years with regards to responding to phone calls. Again-with the transmission fluid-I am not mechanical-but understood the Prius transmission-at least for my vehicle-2012 Prius V which is similar to third generation Prius-they used a unique cvt set up which was similar to planetary transmission-while having cvt characteristics-that is why-did not think the non slip cvt transmission fluid-would be applicable… It is an excellent fluid as I have ran it in my wife’s 2015 Honda Accord and she drives it like she stole it and has 135000 miles of excellent performance… Thank you again-but was and maybe still am uncertain about the nonslip cvt fluid in that application… take good care and hope you and family are in good health.,

And his response to this question
Kevin,

Glad I could of help over the years…

The Prius CVT is a unique application, I have mapped both as they are suitable and provides an option to our customers. That specific call out came from the additive supplier for the CVT fluid, I have the utmost confidence in it and their suitability evaluation. Either fluid will perform well and no doubt others as well.

Regards,

Dave Granquist

1712765150737.jpg

Not at all surprising…a big corp cheapens the input cost/ingredients used in a product, and a person who ‘really cares’ about the quality of the product ‘no longer aligns with the companies direction’.

Back