Redline 50-70% PAO updated safety data sheets

Not surprising. While it has been stated to have been majority PAO on here in the past, it has still been something folks argue about. We've had SDS sheets from them before that were similar.

Many of the Redline engine oils have a new part # as of June as well. Not sure what that means...

Many of the Redline engine oils have a new part # as of June as well. Not sure what that means...
According to the discussions @Rod Knock has had with them, they are reformulating to bring them "up to date" with more modern additive packages. Will be interesting to see what that looks like.

Flash Point of 302 Degrees Fahrenheit
their specs are for their entire range of oils from 0W16 to 20w50 but they do say it's >302*F/>150*C so they're saying it's higher than that but they're not giving any specifics

Flash point: > 302 °F / > 150 °C

Viscosity: 8-26 cSt @ 100°C; 44-148 cSt @40°C

Last edited:
No surprises there. PAO is much less dense than POE, which has a relative density close to water. The Finished product density is however in line with a fairly equal mix of PAO. of course POE + PAO doesn't make up 100% of the finished product.

Did people think it's majority POE?

No surprises there. PAO is much less dense than POE, which has a relative density close to water. The Finished product density is however in line with a fairly equal mix of PAO. of course POE + PAO doesn't make up 100% of the finished product.

Did people think it's majority POE?
Dave said they use in the 40% range, which seems awfully high. The virgin oxidation figures do suggest substantial ester content.

A modern additive system in their top tier line would be a welcomed change.

According to the discussions @Rod Knock has had with them, they are reformulating to bring them "up to date" with more modern additive packages. Will be interesting to see what that looks like.
1663717375309.jpg

I'll believe 2300ppm Zinc when I see it.

Yep, by their advertising it should be basically completely ester based, at least to my layman's eyes.
What if the "base oil" is majority ester? Kinda like paint being 100 percent acrylic but it doesn't mean the whole gallon consists of only acrylic making up the 100 percent but has pigment,binders,Ti02,soap,etc?

What if the "base oil" is majority ester? Kinda like paint being 100 percent acrylic but it doesn't mean the whole gallon consists of only acrylic making up the 100 percent but has pigment,binders,Ti02,soap,etc?
Doubtful. When I asked Dave I said to him I realize you can't give specific proprietary information on your formulations, but there is a lot of questions when it comes to how much ester you guys are using being you claim you are an ester based formulation. I asked him if he could just give a rough estimate on how much and that is when he said around 40%.

You can't estimate the % of ester per the virgin oxidation figure, however, RL does show a that number to be from 90-130, which is significantly higher than any other oil I've ever seen. Amsoil would be the next highest with readings around 50. It was suspected Amsoil is using somewhere around 11-14% V base oil.

So if RL is using 50-70% PAO, that does still leave room for significant ester base oil.

Mobil 1 0w40 has a virgin oxidation figure of 36, suggesting some larger V component (5-7%) based on guesstimates.

Here is a VOA of Valvoline Premium Blue Restore which is a 50% POE based oil and also has a oxidation reading of 110.

1663757230787.png

Notice the oxidation figure of RL 5w40 is 129. Other grades range from 90-129

1663757640659.jpg

Last edited:
Back