Redline base oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as synthetic oil based on esters ages, it becomes more effective, within reasonable limits? I’m trying to interpret those graphs

One of the things those graphs using virgin oil and oils aged at different temperatures indicate is that the more severe the aging, the more it created both less volatile and more volatile different species. Comparing the graphs of the virgin synthetic to virgin semi-synthetic oils, shows that the synthetic had species with a more uniform distribution of volatilities than did the semi-synthetic. Both of those conclusions are based on looking at the width of the humps.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Me either, but he said one thing that I'm sure is 100% true: "I have no idea where they source their base oils"
wink.gif

Guess who's got very serious doubts about TrapperL's credibility and sincerity?
He then goes into this "Pennzoil spends more money on R&D than any other...and by a lot. They are THE leader of the newest technologies available in the industry."
If I had a dollar for every big oil company that's been proclaimed as "THE leader of the newest technologies available in the industry", I'd have about 5 or 6 bucks...........

Redline is in benicia CA, approximately 30 miles from the Chevron refinery, in Richmond CA, their is a ConocoPhillips refinery 15 miles away in Rodeo, sopus is in Martinez along with Valero.

Originally Posted By: 330indy
Is Tom the same guy who wrote the article here on BITOG about Esters in lubricants? That’s a great read!!

thumbsup2.gif

I don't use Red Line products. I used to know the founders, called on them back in the 80s, sold them a lot of esters, and had a great deal of respect for their focus on performance over profit. Hopefully they are still in that mode today but I have lost touch.

I gently drive an Altima in a moderate climate, not a tough lubrication challenge, so I don't need the high performance properties associated with Red Line oils. Furthermore I prefer API certified oils that I know have been tested in standardized engines and passed all parameters. I use Mobil 1 mainly because their Extended Performance grade provides me comfort in annual oil changes, and also because of their use of expensive Groups III+, IV and V base oils, again a focus on performance over lower cost Group III only based synthetic oils. There are other oils that would meet my criteria, but I have no reason to change.

So you know the rough formula for M1 EP.
Understood about the application for the Altima.
What would you guess the formula breakout for RL to be these days?
I recently spoke with Dave at RL. He’s a nice guy— by the way he speaks he seems brilliant.
(I feel my M3 S65 engine can use all the protection it can get.)

I have analyzed Mobil 1 by gas chromatography several times over the years and the line always had some Group IV and V components. I have not seen a GC graph on these oils in some years so I can't speak to today, but the SDSs continue to show significant amounts of PAO, and ExxonMobil continues to state the oils contain some Group V stocks as well such as AN and esters.

I have no idea what RL is doing these days under new ownership. The founders are gone and only Dave remains from the past. He has been fairly open about the base oil blend containing PAO and POE but not the types and quantities. Only gas chromatography will identify and quantify the base oils and I don't have access to a GC anymore now that I am retired.

The recent RL videos on YouTube seem to indicate it’s the best stuff you can put in a bottle, available commercially and the hardcore racers, drag/NHRA and raceboats seem to like it.
Dave said Cameron Evans is no longer with RL

That is as false a statement as the statement that it rains every day in Seattle. The truth is that it sometimes does and sometimes doesn’t, depending on many factors. Be careful about assuming that what you saw someone say is true.

Originally Posted By: 330indy
Yep — (thanks JAG)
It’s fundamental to ester lubricants’ cleaning and coating characteristics

Ester is very beneficial and high performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back