redline mtl V's amsoil

thanks for peoples input to my engine oil question.
gearbox now.
my car has the manual 6 speed M32 gearbox and due an oil change. my limited research shows that redline and amsoil offer a good GL4 oil.
as this particular gearbox is made of chocolate, i wonder if anyone has used either of these and found either to be good or not

Haven't ever used it but i've used just plain walmart brand synthetic gear oil here in the states in my 5spd manual mitsubishi i keep further south in mexico and its got almost 200k miles and its fine.

Redline and amsoil should be more than good and if a failure happens its almost guaranteed it wasn't caused by the good choice of gear oil but it could prolong or help prevent a failure from fragile components. I'd say to use either and rest assured.

I have used both viscosities of amsoil gl4 mtf and mt90 mt85 and Mtl and I will say I prefer the redline product line for shifting quality

Last edited:
I have used both and Redline worked better in one car and Amsoil worked better in the other car. Just basing on the "smoothness" of shifting
and how long before my tranny got knotchy. You will have to try them both to really know which one works for you. It depends on your particular transmission.

For M32 v1.0 it's more important regular maintance than mega oil or upgrade to v2-v3. It calls for 75w85 GL4 and it's made from strong ZDDP.

Said that, Redline MTL follows that spec, example MT-85. About Amsoil depending on which, sometimes it have different formulation (compatible) and SAE (80 and 90 not problem anyway).

Redline for sure MT 90 in my 2001 jetta 5 speed + now my 2001 6 speed TT. had issues with a series 2000 Amsoil as shifting degraded badly, a discontinued product said to be ok for yellow metals but NOT

thanks for peoples input to my engine oil question.
gearbox now.
my car has the manual 6 speed M32 gearbox and due an oil change. my limited research shows that redline and amsoil offer a good GL4 oil.
as this particular gearbox is made of chocolate, i wonder if anyone has used either of these and found either to be good or not
I used Redline MT-90 in both my 95 Pathfinder 5 speed and 04 A4 6 speed. In anything under 30 degrees it was terrible until the car warmed up. I have not used the Amsoil fluids for my manual trans vehicles. I ended up getting rid of the Pathfinder before changing it. I ended up going back to OEM in the A4 and all was good again. I have only used their ATF (before there was the sig and OEM) in my 2001 TIP S4 and it is fine after about 30k miles and almost 11 years. I said I was gonna change it again at 100k bit I'm still not there since I haven't been driving the car.

While it may not have been the exact replacement trans fluid for either car I expect a fluid that has a pour point of -49F to not feel like mud when it was only 30 degrees. And the colder it got, the worse it was.

Back