Redline D4 vs D6 vs DW I

No problem man. Hope you have a very good Thanksgiving.

I agree with you on continued running of the Redline D6 oil.... Sounds like a very good and strong transmission oil for these pesky Honda and Acura transmissions.
In my 2007, I sold the car with 230k. Never once had a problem. The previous owner before I got it she had to replace a pressure switch, a $60 part on the outside of the trans.

I ordered a case of @High Performance Lubricants ATF Green CC to try in a Honda 6AT. It works out to $15/qt shipped if you buy 4 gals.

Those units are notorious for rapid fluid degradation that results in shudder issues. I didn’t have great results with Amsoil or Valvoline in Honda 5AT’s, so I’m hoping this will work out better.

In my 2007 Acura MDX, I used Redline D4 which matches the ATF Z1. Never had a issue. I would try high performance if i had easier access. Redline is available at my local Napa, and $1.00 less than ordering direct from Redline and no shipping cost

I ordered a case of @High Performance Lubricants ATF Green CC to try in a Honda 6AT. It works out to $15/qt shipped if you buy 4 gals.

Those units are notorious for rapid fluid degradation that results in shudder issues. I didn’t have great results with Amsoil or Valvoline in Honda 5AT’s, so I’m hoping this will work out better.

Let us know how that works. I have a 2015 Accord V6 6 AT and have HPL ready to go in but have not gotten around to it yet. I have not really liked Maxlife, Amsoil, or Redline because they all caused a strange shudder issue after a short time.

Let us know how that works. I have a 2015 Accord V6 6 AT and have HPL ready to go in but have not gotten around to it yet. I have not really liked Maxlife, Amsoil, or Redline because they all caused a strange shudder issue after a short time.
Redline has never caused a shutter in my 6sp, nor did RL D4 in my 5sp 07

D6 would seem to be the better choice if you are gonna go with RL.

Last edited:
Both of the Honda ATF's have much higher Zinc and Mg levels than all other ATF's. That is one aspect of
their makeup that really differentiates them from other brands. Check out the sticky at the top in this forum.

That is precisely why I only use Honda ATF in our 2010 Civic.

Both of the Honda ATF's have much higher Zinc and Mg levels than all other ATF's. That is one aspect of
their makeup that really differentiates them from other brands. Check out the sticky at the top in this forum.

That is precisely why I only use Honda ATF in our 2010 Civic.
I've seen that thread and noticed that. Makes you wonder tho when you talk to trans shops and their full of Honda tranny's. I've never had 1 problem ever running RL. My 07. Stock fluid the magnet would be full of shavings. RL clean.

I ran Redline D4 many years ago in wife’s 2003 accord and was only vehicle that really rejected aftermarket synthetic transmission fluids…. Ironically Redline nonslip cvt works perfectly in wife’s 2015 accord… I think for why Honda vehicle that uses the non-planetary transmission in the vehicle-would stick with the OEM product.

Reactions: wlk
I ran Redline D4 many years ago in wife’s 2003 accord and was only vehicle that really rejected aftermarket synthetic transmission fluids…. Ironically Redline nonslip cvt works perfectly in wife’s 2015 accord… I think for why Honda vehicle that uses the non-planetary transmission in the vehicle-would stick with the OEM product.
My wife's 07, which has the same trans as yours, developed terribly harsh shifts on Amsoil ATF (red bottle) after 15-20K. Draining and Refilling 3x with ATF-DW1 resolved the issue.

My wife's 07, which has the same trans as yours, developed terribly harsh shifts on Amsoil ATF (red bottle) after 15-20K. Draining and Refilling 3x with ATF-DW1 resolved the issue.
Should have mentioned that also tried Amsoil in that car and while didn’t slip for lack of better term as much as Redline-really did give me first hand experience with friction characteristics of transmission and importance of correct fluid-especially with that particular Honda Transmission… can’t be a hypocrite though-before changing out the synthetic fluids ended up using Lubeguard black I think and did do oil analysis on both fluids with the lubeguard at the time…. After the second analysis I ended up filling the transmission with the correct fluid several times and car shifted fine until about 250 thousand miles or so where engine had significant problems, which prompted her to get new vehicle which is currently the 2015 accord…as mentioned currently have the non slip redline cvt in her transmission and have used throughout the duration-shifts great knock on wood with about 135 thousand miles or so…. And have used d6 in used 2012 Toyota Prius that have changed several times since buying the car with about 160 thousand and has 220 different n it now… I do maybe wrongly like to use synthetic fluids in vehicles but would go with Honda recommended D-1 if that is current fluid in there regular automatic transmissions… on a side note-my brother has a 2017 pilot and had a premature transmission failure that Honda replaced under warranty and brother has used their fluid for that-definitely am wary in general of there automatic transmissions…. Hoping the cvt still continues running well…

If your Acura is "shifting beautifully" with the Redline D6 I'd stick with it.
I wouldn't worry about having a higher viscosity fluid because these modern transmissions are designed for lower viscosity ATF and as others have said the low-vis fluids stay 'in grade'.

As far as Honda ATFs go I can't speak for DW1 but I know that Z1 was nothing special because many Honda A/Ts of the late 90s and early 00s died despite being serviced regularly with it.

If your Acura is "shifting beautifully" with the Redline D6 I'd stick with it.
I wouldn't worry about having a higher viscosity fluid because these modern transmissions are designed for lower viscosity ATF and as others have said the low-vis fluids stay 'in grade'.

As far as Honda ATFs go I can't speak for DW1 but I know that Z1 was nothing special because many Honda A/Ts of the late 90s and early 00s died despite being serviced regularly with it.
I've had excellent shift quality using Amsoil's ATL in 2007 Honda Fit. Newer Honda's might not like it as much, no experience with it but for any older Honda I don't think you can go wrong with boutique blender ATF > what they (Honda) used to put out.

Last edited:
Back