Redline D4 vs D6 vs DW I

I have a 2015 Acura MDX

The trans requires Honda DW-1. As shown in a thread the viscosity of that is 6.95 @100c. Now Redline shows D4 as a replacement for HONDA ATF Z1. D4 has a viscosity of 7.5 @ 100c which is higher than Z1. Now D6 is lower than either one of the Z1 or DW 1. Redline shows D6 as a replacement for DW-1. Honda did say at one point that DW 1 supersedes Z1. What the heck is the difference between DW1 and Z1? Does viscosity at 100C not as important as compared to engine oil? I've always been a person who prefers a higher viscosity at operating temp versus being lower. Is there any harm or foul and just going with the higher viscosity of the D4 versus D6? Currently I have a quarts of D6 in there now and it shifts beautifully. If I were to drain out four quarts and put in four quarts of D4 would that bring the viscosity closer to the stock viscosity of 6.95? What was really changed between DW1 and Z1?

1669148147831.jpg

Reactions: hrv
I have a 2015 Acura MDX

The trans requires Honda DW-1. As shown in a thread the viscosity of that is 6.95 @100c. Now Redline shows D4 as a replacement for HONDA ATF Z1. D4 has a viscosity of 7.5 @ 100c which is higher than Z1. Now D6 is lower than either one of the Z1 or DW 1. Redline shows D6 as a replacement for DW-1. Honda did say at one point that DW 1 supersedes Z1. What the heck is the difference between DW1 and Z1? Does viscosity at 100C not as important as compared to engine oil? I've always been a person who prefers a higher viscosity at operating temp versus being lower. Is there any harm or foul and just going with the higher viscosity of the D4 versus D6? Currently I have a quarts of D6 in there now and it shifts beautifully. If I were to drain out four quarts and put in four quarts of D4 would that bring the viscosity closer to the stock viscosity of 6.95? What was really changed between DW1 and Z1?
You can use Maxlife. I use Amsoil Universal ATF blue cap in my wife’s 19 Pilot 6 speed. I would disable the VCM system. DW1 doesn’t seem to last as long when VCM kicks in. Causes too much slippage in the converter. Google SVCM. That’s what I use.

I use the Idemitsu DW-1 equivalent. Some find it a little too smooth. Add the recommended amount of Lubegard Red and off you go.
The only problem with the Honda fluid is the price. Sometimes you can find a good price on it.

IMO manufacturers TRY to scare you to OVERPAY for their fluids!! many fluids that superseed are likely thinner keeping with todays trend for minor mpg gain but likely MORE wear!!

I don't care for Max life but tell you what I sure really like red line. I'm just really surprised that Redline recommended it when D6 has less viscosity than DW1 and D4 is slightly higher.
Initial viscosity is important, but stability is just as important. If D6 starts slightly lower than DW1 but is more stable during use, it could be fine.

Redline is probably using a multi-vehicle DI package from one of the majors (e.g. Afton, Infineum, Lubrizol, Oronite). Whether it is the same one that Valvoline or Amsoil uses, is anyone's guess.

True kschachn... Many of the Dexron VI fluids start out around 6.0 cSt and stay there a long, long, long time.... Vs the older fluid which start at 8 or 7.5 cSt and shear out rather quite quickly down and often below Dexron VI fluids.

I use the Idemitsu DW-1 equivalent. Some find it a little too smooth. Add the recommended amount of Lubegard Red and off you go.
The only problem with the Honda fluid is the price. Sometimes you can find a good price on it.

Near me JK I found the DW-1 fluid at the Honda dealership for $9.82 a qt.

That's not too shabby.... Compared to CVT fluid which was $24 a qt from the Nissan dealership. Which made the Eneos CVT fluid at $12.49 a qt look like a great deal.

Near me JK I found the DW-1 fluid at the Honda dealership for $9.82 a qt.

That's not too shabby.... Compared to CVT fluid which was $24 a qt from the Nissan dealership. Which made the Eneos CVT fluid at $12.49 a qt look like a great deal.
Even at $9.82, the mark up on that ATF is probably 300%. Or more.... Sheesh! What's a poor boy to do?
FYI, I've been using Castrol and Valvoline CVT fluids in a high mileage Altima with great results.

I highly doubt that high a percentage... I bet it's up there a bit but not quite that high. However man.... Compared to $24 a qt....

I'm living large at less than $10 a qt....

:LOL:

True kschachn... Many of the Dexron VI fluids start out around 6.0 cSt and stay there a long, long, long time.... Vs the older fluid which start at 8 or 7.5 cSt and shear out rather quite quickly down and often below Dexron VI fluids.
Thank you for the information. I will continue to use D6. From what your saying and Redline advertising is that D6 is the most sheer stable.i found that maxlife got dark quick. Under 6k miles. When I used D4 in my previous Acura. 2007. Even after 20k miles it was still bright red.

Thank you for the information. I will continue to use D6. From what your saying and Redline advertising is that D6 is the most sheer stable.i found that maxlife got dark quick. Under 6k miles. When I used D4 in my previous Acura. 2007. Even after 20k miles it was still bright red.
I ordered a case of @High Performance Lubricants ATF Green CC to try in a Honda 6AT. It works out to $15/qt shipped if you buy 4 gals.

Those units are notorious for rapid fluid degradation that results in shudder issues. I didn’t have great results with Amsoil or Valvoline in Honda 5AT’s, so I’m hoping this will work out better.

No problem man. Hope you have a very good Thanksgiving.

I agree with you on continued running of the Redline D6 oil.... Sounds like a very good and strong transmission oil for these pesky Honda and Acura transmissions.

Back