Redline D4 (Mercon V application)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Is Redline D4 Mercon V approved?
2. Can D4 be mixed with regular Mercon V for a "drain-and-fill" fluid change?
3. Tell me why I should use this stuff insetead of Pennzoil Mercon V.

Trans is a 1995 AODE w/ modified VB, 9.5" high stall converter (mild 2600 rpm stall), and an aux. cooler. Car is driven daily, year round in PA (1995 Mustang).

Not a Ford guy but there is no indication in their literature that they specifically satisfy the Mercon V spec.

They "infer" they will meet the newer Dexron and Mercon specs.

In your modded tranny, just about any ATF can be used.

Do you have a trans temp gauge?
Do the TC have lockup?

I guess it all depends on driving style. If you are happy with the fluid, use it. If not, switch.
It will take several drain/refills before you can come to a conclusion on any brand.

A VB mod usually shifts with authority and makes fluid choice less of an issue. I'd go with a type-F. Who built the tranny? VB type? cooler size.....

Who built the trans? Ford did. I just dropped the VB and attacked the seperator plate with a drill.
wink.gif

Cooler is a Ford part. It is an OTC kit they sold specifically for my car.

The programming I am running has eliminated the PWM TCC function, so it basically functions as an on/off switch, thus, shudder becomes somewhat a "non-issue".

The only "danger" is that I am also set-up to lock the TCC at WOT in 2nd and 3rd. I'm sure this abuses the fluid at the TCC surface.

I am primarily concerned about keeping my trasns health for a long time to come. I did not know if Redline would offer better protection or not.

The Redline website has not been updated in some time. D4 is Mercon V approved. It says so right on the bottle.
smile.gif

I would not mix Mercon V with Mercon. They are very different, and not sure if they would mix well or not.

Brad,

Mercon and Mercon V are actually quite similar fluids....

Basically Mercon V requires improved high/low temp properties and it requires some additional tests to evaluate gear protection, such as the four ball and Falex wear tests. However, the friction retention tests use the same friction plates and the test parameters are the same. The only difference is that Mercon V requires a tighter limits on the frictional properties.

I"ve spend quite a bit of time reviewing these Ford specs and I don't see anything in terms of physical/chemical properties that would make them mutually exclusive.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

I"ve spend quite a bit of time reviewing these Ford specs and I don't see anything in terms of physical/chemical properties that would make them mutually exclusive.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics [/QB]

Tooslick, do you know if all brands Mercon V fluids are basicly the same? I flushed my 2000 Ford Explorer transmission with Motorcraft Mercon V , but I had to pay $5.00 (Can) at my Ford dealer. I was on vacation in the US this summer, and bought 12 quarts of Havoline (Equilon) Mercon V at Advance Auto for $2.48 US. Since I have found this site I have heard nothing but bad this about anything made by Equilon.

[ October 19, 2003, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Bluestream ]

i use redline d4 in my fords and it says on the bottle mercon 5...redline site is so far behind the times...even most of their oils still have the sj rating on it and its been more then two yrs since sl grade came out...what does this tell you about redline

It tells me that Redline is a small company that does not have an in-house IT department doing constant web site updates. So what?

quote:

Originally posted by Brad:
D4 is Mercon V approved. It says so right on the bottle.

Approved by whom - Redline or Ford? It makes a difference if there's a warranty claim later. It's been discussed ad infinitum on posts here that late Ford trannies are very touchy about the ATF used in them, and yet the resident armchair experts continue to 2nd-guess Ford daily. Go figure.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

quote:

Originally posted by Brad:
D4 is Mercon V approved. It says so right on the bottle.

Approved by whom - Redline or Ford? It makes a difference if there's a warranty claim later. It's been discussed ad infinitum on posts here that late Ford trannies are very touchy about the ATF used in them, and yet the resident armchair experts continue to 2nd-guess Ford daily. Go figure.

Mercon V is a spec set fourth by Ford motor company. Redline, and all other companines, pay Ford a license fee for using the name on thier products IF the product meets Ford's specs. So, no, your incorrect. Oil companies don't simply slap a Mercon V label on a product that does not meet the spec. If they did, Ford would sue them for sure. It's not a matter of if the fluid is "Redline approved" or "Ford approved". If it didn't meet the spec, Ford would not allow them to use thier trademarked name on it. As long as the fluid is Mercon V approved, meaning it meets or exceeds the specs Ford has laid out for Mercon V, Ford CAN'T VOID YOUR WARRANTY on a transmission requiring Mercon V fluid.

Several friends of mine are Ford Master Techs, and they all tell me the same thing. Ford pushes thier Mercon V fluid becuase it's confusing for the average consumer with so many "universal" fluids on the market. Instead of explianing the in's and out's, they tell people to use the Ford supplied fluid. (Not to mention the dealer makes a killing on it). This DOES NOT mean other Mercon V fluids are inferior.

I have a 4r70w tranny in my Town Car, well known for shuttering your guys out if you don't use Mercon V fluid. Ford even developed Mercon V because of the shutter issue on this transmission. I'm running Pennzoil Mercon V, guess what? No shutter, and no problems. Tranny shifts just fine.

[ October 20, 2003, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Brad ]

I guess I'll just stick with regular old Pennzoil Mercon V. Seems to be too much conflicting info on the D4. For 15,000 mile intervals, I am not sure the D4 would gain me anything anyway. I was considering it because a "premium" fluid might do me some good in a trans w/ a hi-perf converter that is occasionally raced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back