Redline and Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a new 09 STi, some of these are sadly having engine failures just as the 08's did. It appears that the number four cylinder has issues and that some of these motors picked up bad pistons from a supplier, since then subaru changed suppliers and its "up in the air" if you have a set of the faulty pistons.

Regardless, I broke the engine in on the factory fill to 1k, then Rotella-Ted synthetic 5w40.

I used this at 2k, 3k and 4k, at 5k I switched to Redline 10w30 using Mobil one oil filters.

I plan on doing a UOA at my next oil change at roughly 8.5k, which will be a redicliously short 3k on the redline.

If my engine self-destructed while on the Redline, do you think I would have issues with the Subaru powertrain warranty? I also purchased the extended warranty from subaru when I purchased the car to 6years\100k.

Thoughts?

If it was mine I would use an oil that meets the specs for warranty issues. Even Redline would probably be better than any other oil you went with. But if there is known issues I would stay safe.

For one thing you need to always use the recommended viscosity. If you use a non recommended vis, then they begin to have a leg to stand on, regardless of the cause. Now as for the API, it really depends on the writing in your warranty/owners manual. What exactly are the words?

Redline? No problem. Amsoil? For sure you would have warranty problems. According to some posters here.
grin2.gif

I mentioned this before and I know its not my car or my money yada yada.I was in the repair end for 25 plus years.Several times for extended periods in volume shops,35 plus techs.I have handled thousands of warranty and service contract claims.Not ONCE was I ever asked about what brand of fluids or weights.EVER.Was asked many many times about service history's and proof of service/maintance.Unless it was blatantly faked the receipts from where ever with dates,mileage even written in on over the counter oil/filters etc.was all that EVER was asked.Thats from factory reps to pain in the butt independent adjusters hired by aftermarket service contract holders.Now any thing is subject to change.In fact has anyone reading this forum have a documented case of warranty denied over a starburst NOT being on a bottle of oil or a denial over a 10w30 instead of 5w20 being used? Same with trans fliud,gear oil etc. in the automotive world?

Last edited:
I don't think unless the engine looks like it was not cared for the subject may not be brought up. I would use caution cause in the corporate world to some greed is good. I think we are recommending to protect yourself if you have doubt.

Originally Posted By: Vspec
If my engine self-destructed while on the Redline, do you think I would have issues with the Subaru powertrain warranty? I also purchased the extended warranty from subaru when I purchased the car to 6years\100k.

Depends how cagey Subaru is about the issue.

They'd have to care enough to sample your engine oil and do a UOA. If they did that, they could probably tell that you used something very different from normal, and it's possible that this could endanger your warranty.

That said, I strongly doubt they'd take the trouble. They'd probably look for obvious signs of abuse and then just replace the engine and be done with it. On that assumption, I don't think it's a bad bet.

If it were my car, I would get all my oil changes done by the dealership and follow the maintenance schedule to the letter, with thorough documentation. That's probably the best way to ensure things go smoothly in case you do end up needing warranty service.

Originally Posted By: Vspec
Thoughts?

My advice would be to talk to your service manager and see what his thoughts are. Just talk about hypotheticals and tell him you are wondering about trying an oil such as amsoil or redline etc. and wanted to know if it would be an issue. Talk to the same dealer that you would take it to for warranty work.

From what I have seen dealers are all over the board in how they deal with this. Let me give some real world examples from the vw world:

1) One dealer fills cars with Dino oil, even though 502 oils are required.

2) Another dealer uses and recommends Amsoil

3) Another dealer says "we only use brand X, period"

And on and on it goes all over the board. Many of the dealers don't even know which oils are approved and which are not.

The bottom line is that most dealers have an incredible amount of discretion and it's important to know the individual service manager's/dealer's attitude as they are the ones who will be either helping you or fighting you when it is time for warranty work.

The other thing you can do is keep good documentation: f.e. 1) a maintenance log that documents when and what mileage all needed maint. was done including oil changes, changing brake fluid, etc. 2) photos of the oil change and odometer at the time, 3) receipts from oil (could or could not be the same oil as went into the car in theory) and filter

Hmmm, I seem to remember reading a couple of years ago that Mistu would look VERY closely for signs of abuse/mods on Evos in order to avoid replacing engines. I don't know if that extended to fluids or not...

Granted, you obviously don't have an Evo. But just be aware that yes, some manufacturers care about this stuff more than others.

I use mysubaru.com to track and document all work done, and I also have a excel spreadsheet with dates\mileage, plus all reciepts for oil and filter, even down to ever gas fill up to prove I continually use 93 octane only.

Im very careful about documentation on this subject, I think ultimately if the engine blew I could get a sample of oil and send it to blackstone and maybe use that as a defense as more then likely the redline would not contribute to this problem.

On an engine with known major issues like that that you are best to use exactly the spec'd oil called for. NO experimenting or doing your own thing. Follow the owner's manual to the letter. And don't even think about exceeding the max OCI.

Redline is great oil BUT it is not API certified and most all auto mfg's to my knowledge call for API certified oil these days. That right there would keep me from using it in an engine I know may self destruct.

Contrary to claims above that mfg's never ask for proof of proper oil and proper OC's I can tell you it does happen. Done it myself as a service writer at a Ford dealer and a family member very recently had to do it as a customer to get an engine replaced( mfg asked the dealer and all work was done there so it was verified - had it not beeen family member had to provide receipts and proof of proper OC's ). Big enough failure, even if it is one well documented, and the mfg may just try and find a way out of it by finding something you did wrong they can then blame the failure on.

If your problem is the #4 piston self destructing due to a mfg'ing defect that isn't a lubrication issue. It is a mechanical part failure. Technically you OCI info should not play into it BUT don't chance it. May end up in you having to fight it to win.

In your situation it is extremely important to stick with an oil( any oil - I am not saying use X )that meets all of the auto mfg's required spec's and certifications, in the proper weight( if they say 5W-20 use 5W-20 not any other weight ), and change it by the max allowed mileage. Period and end of story IMO.

Good luck with it. Hope you don't suffer this issue.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Redline? No problem. Amsoil? For sure you would have warranty problems. According to some posters here.
grin2.gif

Redline would have the exact same warranty issues as Amsoil SSO and the regular Amsoil line because none of them are API certified to any level at all. The Amsoil XL line however is API Certified( as you know - general comment - not telling you ) so therefore no hassle.

While I am not a huge Amsoil fan( as you know
LOL.gif
)I make it a point to stress if you want to use Amsoil under warranty to use the XL line. Who is saying Redline is ok for warranty but Amsoil is not?

Oh, btw - I still haven't done the OC on the boat. Will let you know how that marine oil works out you sold me once I get it swapped.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Let's see what his car manual says. Exact words.

You have got to be kidding me! What a rip off. I went to the mfg's web site to download an owners manual in PDF to look it up and they want $10. They can kiss my big white stinky butt. How lame can you get?
smirk2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back