Best 5W-30 dino oil for performance engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to keep dino oil in my new 350hp Subaru STI's engine for the first 4k miles (two oil changes) but I want the oil to be a strong one!

Can anyone suggest a good dino 5W-30 that won't shear down when it gets hot?

After the 4k mile mark I will change to Redline 5W-30.

Pretty much all SM GF-4 rated conventional oils shear down. Some say they are designed to do so for fuel economy. Heck, even 10w-30 conventionals usually show some viscosity loss in UOA.

2 2,000 mile oil changes with a conventional oil won't kill your motor. Heck, 200,000 miles of conventional oil changes probably wouldn't!

If you've really been hammering it, just let it idle for a bit or drive really conservatively for the last 5 minutes of a trip before you shut it down to prevent the conventional from coking up in the bearings of the turbo.

Last edited:
Go 10w-30 if you are going dino. Conventional 5w-30 has too much viscosity index improvers that will shear down and may put deposits on your rings. May I recommend Pennzoil 10w-30?

Originally Posted By: Chris71
Go 10w-30 if you are going dino. Conventional 5w-30 has too much viscosity index improvers

That's debatable, since conventional 5w-30s are usually made with more group II or higher base stocks.

What oil is the Subaru dealers using? I would look at Vavoline & Pennzoil high mileage versions. Not sure you need to go with dino for break-in but, your choice of course

Thanks for the replies.

The advice to use 10W-30 might be a good one. Just any old Penz or QS? Hard to believe that there isn't a superior oil out there.

Subaru can't tell me exactly what the factroy fill is, only that it is 5W-30 dino.

These motors are known "oil users" and some people have been able to keep comsumption lower by doing longer break-ins before going to synthetic.

Go 10w-30 if you are going dino. Conventional 5w-30 has too much viscosity index improvers that will shear down and may put deposits on your rings. May I recommend Pennzoil 10w-30?

Anybody else believe this? I'm skeptical yet curious. Perhaps 10w30 would be the best thing for my car (Saturn) which is a potential future oil burner (Stuck rings).

Run Pennzoil 10w-30 for the break-in. 5w-30 CAN(not saying it will)shear down and put deposits on the rings which could result in a broken ring. 10w-40 grade was notorious for this(that's why GM advises against its use in any of their engines, too many screwed up rings).

Run Pennzoil 10w-30 for the break-in. 5w-30 CAN(not saying it will)shear down and put deposits on the rings which could result in a broken ring. 10w-40 grade was notorious for this(that's why GM advises against its use in any of their engines, too many screwed up rings).
That was in the 1970s I worked at a shop that did fleet work and there were quite a lot of chev engines that were perfect looking upon tear down but thad stuck rings " think it was how they were driven,too easy". 5w- 30 is one of G.M s recommended oils.

Originally Posted By: ringmaster
Thanks for the replies.

The advice to use 10W-30 might be a good one. Just any old Penz or QS? Hard to believe that there isn't a superior oil out there.

Subaru can't tell me exactly what the factroy fill is, only that it is 5W-30 dino.

These motors are known "oil users" and some people have been able to keep comsumption lower by doing longer break-ins before going to synthetic.

WTH, dino oil in a turbo application? I doubt subaru would do that, especially in an STI.

I'd just switch over to a synthetic, I'll suggest Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 or 10w30 (which ever one your car requires) and just continue to use it.

Reasoning behind Pennzoil Platinum is because it meets the HTO-06 standard which was created by Honda for it's first turbo charged application in the Acura RDX (I use it in my RDX).

I think it would be a toss up between Redline 5W30 and Neo 5W30. I think Redlines better hths though would make it the hands down winner inthe end especialy when you look at how slick this stuff is. It builds HP because of all the moly in spite of the higher HTHS as compared to other 5W30's.

I only read the title before I posted since it sounded like an easy no brainer. If you want to run a 30Wt. just run a SAE 30. VR1 30 would be a good way to go. Valvoline Premium SAE 30 would do ok but it is an SM so the additives might be a bit on the low side. Then you have Rotella 10W30 it has a nice additive package.

You really do not need to run a dino before going to synthetic. I understand though if you plan on draining the oil sooner then you would with a synthetic not wanting to waste the money on synthetic but it is not needed from a break in standpoint though.

If you are passionate about dino hey that's your call for the application. If I were you I'd find some Chevron Delo 10W30...it's pretty darn tough for dino oil and can take a beating. I don't think it will jive with your owner's manual, but hey you are asking for opinions here :)!

If I was worried about the oil holding up, I'd go with Synpower 5W-40; then I wouldn't worry.
56.gif

STi's come with synthetic in the sump from the factory, why not just follow the manufacturer’s advice?

Many of the folks in the UK, SA and AUS like Motul 300v in the tuned scoobies...the favorites being 10w-30 and the 15w-50...I personally prefer the 5w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back