Redline 0w20 vs 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I won't bother, you know what my answer will be lol.

Which car is this going in?

What about RL 0W-30 with it's HTHS of 3.2 cP? Keep in mind we're talking the Great White North here.

Off topic question; if you were restricted to a dino oil only, what vis oil would run in your TL?

Not a straight 30 like I've been running.

I would run a 10w-30 most likely just because my climate is so mild. 32F to 110F. Though I'll admit I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the 20wts if a great flowing synthetic 10w-30 wasn't an option.

So you would agree a syn 20wt; particularily a high performance PAO/POE syn like RL should provide less wear than a 30wt dino?

Not exactly. I'm not convinced a syn by itself provides a wear advantage over dino all else being equal and under normal conditions (no exterme hot or cold). Personally I put a lot of faith in the HTHS number for reducing wear. Give me the lowest viscosity with the highest HTHS such as Redline 5w-20 or any of the non 0w Redlines.

In my teardowns I have yet to see synthetic outperform dino in the wear department, in fact it was the other way around. Granted the only syn I've run is Mobil One, oil temps are low, and OCIs are short. I have a feeling Redline would be a different story.

What about RL 0W-30 with it's HTHS of 3.2 cP? Keep in mind we're talking the Great White North here.

Off topic question; if you were restricted to a dino oil only, what vis oil would run in your TL?

I would run a 10w-30 most likely just because my climate is so mild. 32F to 110F. Though I'll admit I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the 20wts if a great flowing synthetic 10w-30 wasn't an option.

So you would agree a syn 20wt; particularily a high performance PAO/POE syn like RL should provide less wear than a 30wt dino?

Not exactly. I'm not convinced a syn by itself provides a wear advantage over dino all else being equal and under normal conditions (no exterme hot or cold). Personally I put a lot of faith in the HTHS number for reducing wear. Give me the lowest viscosity with the highest HTHS such as Redline 5w-20 or any of the non 0w Redlines.

In my teardowns I have yet to see synthetic outperform dino in the wear department, in fact it was the other way around. Granted the only syn I've run is Mobil One, oil temps are low, and OCIs are short. I have a feeling Redline would be a different story.

So you don't entirely discount the potential ability of a better syn formulation such as Red Line, Silkolene, Motul etc with a high ester polar component (mentioning just one attribute) to punch above their weight so to speak (HTHS level) in minimizing wear?

The 0w30 is also really appealing to me too, since it has the same -60 pour point.....

but a higher HTHS.

I still think its funny that the 5w20 has a higher HTHS than PP 5w30.

So you don't entirely discount the potential ability of a better syn formulation such as Red Line, Silkolene, Motul etc with a high ester polar component (mentioning just one attribute) to punch above their weight so to speak (HTHS level) in minimizing wear?

That, I agree with. That's my entire reasoning for running synthetic in my TL since I don't exploit the extended drain intervals.

I've said before, I would have no problem with RL 5w-20 in the TL even under harsh conditions. The 10w-30 is in there mostly to say I told you so in 10 years when it has tons of miles. And it's nice to have a huge safety cushion too. I've decided not to buy another new car until the TL goes to the junkyard or I win the lottery so it makes sense in my case to have overkill.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Good old POE. RedLine 5W-30 as a higher HTHS than some of Amsoil's 40-weights.

Its nuts.

I'm still torn, this thread hasn't provided me with a "choice" yet
grin2.gif

I'm going to run the 0w30 in my SUV once I go through the rest of my stash... Looks like a darn good oil and it is similar to what I run in the Santa Fe now in terms of spec's other than the HTHS being higher for RL. So it should fit nicely!

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Its nuts.

grin2.gif

I think that's because there's not a bad one out there.

I think the decision would come down to how much HTHS are you willing to trade for starup flow.

My personal opinion is the 0w-20, 30, 5w-20, and 5w-30 would all work great. If the car was spec'd for a 20wt and you're using Redline 0w-20 or 5w-20, you're already way ahead of the game in HTHS. If I were forced to pick just one, I think it would be the 5w-20. More than enough cold flow and a high HTHS for those times you beat on it....which car is it going in?

Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who's obsessed with HTHS so it's just my opinion.

Ever think about trying the 5w-20 in the Mustang? I remember the posts from a long time ago about your builder's stock bottom 5.0 spinning 7,000+ on the 20wt.

I like the 0W-30 for a winter oil simply because it has the -60 pp while still retaining a decent 3.2 HTHS.

Down here on the Gulf Coast I'd pick the 5W-20 in the heartbeat, but I only see temps in the 20s (F) a few says out of the entire year.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Its nuts.

grin2.gif

I think that's because there's not a bad one out there.

I think the decision would come down to how much HTHS are you willing to trade for starup flow.

My personal opinion is the 0w-20, 30, 5w-20, and 5w-30 would all work great. If the car was spec'd for a 20wt and you're using Redline 0w-20 or 5w-20, you're already way ahead of the game in HTHS. If I were forced to pick just one, I think it would be the 5w-20. More than enough cold flow and a high HTHS for those times you beat on it....which car is it going in?

Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who's obsessed with HTHS so it's just my opinion.

Ever think about trying the 5w-20 in the Mustang? I remember the posts from a long time ago about your builder's stock bottom 5.0 spinning 7,000+ on the 20wt.

It is going in the Expedition, and yeah, my cam grinder runs 5w20 or 0w20 in his 302....

The 0w30 sounds the "most" appealing to me right now because of the pour point and high HTHS.......

Only thing bugging me is the flash point, which the 5w oils all kill the 0w oils in.

I like the 0W-30 for a winter oil simply because it has the -60 pp while still retaining a decent 3.2 HTHS.

Down here on the Gulf Coast I'd pick the 5W-20 in the heartbeat, but I only see temps in the 20s (F) a few says out of the entire year.

Why not the 5w or 10w-30 in that climate?

OT but 3 months I went back to the Biloxi/Pascagoula/Ocean Springs area to visit family and show my girlfriend where I was from. I think we had 6 consecutive days of rain starting from the time we got off the plane to the time we got back on the plane. I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get to show her around.

Yea, I plan on running 5W-30 or 10W-30 in my car. I was referring to a "winter oil" in my area.

Overkill, I think your right about the flashpoint, I mean a good oil has good overall performance not just one shinny specification. I run RL 5w30 in my 2006 Corolla and RL 15w40 in my 2005 Dodge CTD, neither use any oil ever and startup is good on both and let me tell ya Fort ST John get lotsa -35C. I like the 0 wieghts cold performance too but on the whole the 5 weights offer better complete performance. By the way the dealership filled my Corolla with dino 5w20 once by accident and it did consume some oil during the first couple thousand, enough that I truly believe the RL' high flashpoint does reduce oil consumption. Its a win win thought!

I noticed you have two high mileage Fords. What oil did you use to achieve that mileage? Also noticed on one of your post that your Lincoln pics were showed very clean heads. Your sig says M1 oil, do you hope to improve on your past results?

Originally Posted By: tig1
I noticed you have two high mileage Fords. What oil did you use to achieve that mileage? Also noticed on one of your post that your Lincoln pics were showed very clean heads. Your sig says M1 oil, do you hope to improve on your past results?
He has used mainly M1 throughout their lives since he has owned the vehicles and thus is a big advocate for M1 products. He has "real world" experience and doesn't panic over UOA's with higher than average Iron levels like most BITOG folk do.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
He has used mainly M1 throughout their lives since he has owned the vehicles and thus is a big advocate for M1 products. He has "real world" experience and doesn't panic over UOA's with higher than average Iron levels like most BITOG folk do.
wink.gif

What higher levels of iron? The two UOAs I did showed Low iron.
Any way, Overk1ll, how will you improve on your past results?

Any way, Overk1ll, how will you improve on your past results?

21.gif
Doesn't the handle say it all?
grin2.gif

Both 302's have had a mixed-bag of oils throughout their life.

The pictures you are thinking of are from my Mustang engine, not the Lincoln. The Mustang is the cleaner of the two, since it had a larger portion of its life on M1.

I have used ever M1 grade from 0w20 to 5w50 in it
grin2.gif

The Lincoln has had M1 since I got it, except for one run with AMSOIL ASL 15w40.

The Expedition currently has M1 TDT 5w40 in it. I am looking for something thinner to run in the winter, but with a higher HTHS, like the TDT has, but in a lighter grade. The only M1 grade that fits the bill is the 0w40.

On the other hand, all of Redline's oils seem to have higher HTHS values, and so I could get away with running a lighter oil while (hopefully) getting the same degree of "robustness" I was getting in the summer with the TDT.

At least that's my train of thought here.

HTHS for M1 0w40 is 3.6 BTW. Redline's 5w30 is 3.8
grin2.gif

The RL 5w20 is 3.3............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back