Redacting a negative review...anyone done this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever revised a review because the owner wanted to improve the situation?

One the Focus in my sig, some of you might remember that I had issues with a certain shop regarding their general dismissal of me and my car. I failed to revise it as more things unravelled.

Anyway, to continues the events, I went to the shop that day to get my car (dropped off by a co-worker). I sat there and waited until the shop closed to find out that they broke the fuel filter clips and they had to order a new hose from Ford (of course, two days away). With no apology for inconveniencing me, I had to take a $50 taxi ride home. I still had to get to work the following morning so I had to put temporary plates on the BMW and drive it (thank God for having two cars!). After two days of my Ford sitting there, the part finally shows up and the shop calls me on the Thursday before the long weekend to say the car is ready. Great! the insurance on the BMW was about to expire, so it worked out perfectly. Despite mentioning my taxi ride, having to put plates on the BMW on short notice, and the general inconvenience of everything, they still charged full price, plus charged me for exhaust gaskets (of which should have been under warranty from their previous attempt).

After getting the Ford, I noticed the main complaint I had (noisy exhaust from the exhaust work that was done prior) was finally quiet. It stayed this way for about three days.

The following Monday morning I called the shop. I was pleasant and mentioned the noise again. Owner sighs and mentions I should bring it by that Thursday. Mind you, this would be the THIRD time they are attempting to repair this TOTALLY STOCK exhaust. At first I agree, then as time goes by I become increasingly angry that despite paying this shop, they totally disregard me and my car putting other (obviously putting revenue generating jobs ahead of me).

As a result I took the car to a different shop who found the bolts were over torqued and stripped. The shop replaced the gasket, and installed a new nut and bolt and it's been quiet ever since. Obviously I had to pay 50+20 tip for doing the repair on short notice.

I then decided to leave google and yelp reviews of my experience. The first shop owner has tried contacting me twice to rectify the situation (very small mom+pop type shop, you'd think the'd try a little harder the first time). He's offered to refund me the other shop's repair. I'd usually be ok with this, but honestly I dont' care to deal with this shop. I was unfairly treated and despite giving them a few chances to make things better only once I left them damaging reviews on the internet do they finally respond.

I accept the apology but I think they are only doing this to save the business's reputation as the internet is very important to businesses these days.

What should I do? what would you do?

thanks in advance

please refer to this thread if you'd like backstory.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4377117/Am_I_being_unreasonable?#Post4377117

I'd leave the review.

I left a 1 star review about the horrible experience my grandmother and I had last year buying her van, the dealer replied to my comment acting like they cared and asked for my info so they could reach me. I tried contacting them and never heard anything, so I updated my 1 star review and said that it was all phony, they never contacted me.

Did you pay with a credit card?

I would get the whole thing reimbursed using the invoice from the other shop together with the $50 taxi receipt as evidence for the credit card company.

That way you get your money and can leave the review up.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Have you ever revised a review because the owner wanted to improve the situation?

One the Focus in my sig, some of you might remember that I had issues with a certain shop regarding their general dismissal of me and my car. I failed to revise it as more things unravelled.

Anyway, to continues the events, I went to the shop that day to get my car (dropped off by a co-worker). I sat there and waited until the shop closed to find out that they broke the fuel filter clips and they had to order a new hose from Ford (of course, two days away). With no apology for inconveniencing me, I had to take a $50 taxi ride home. I still had to get to work the following morning so I had to put temporary plates on the BMW and drive it (thank God for having two cars!). After two days of my Ford sitting there, the part finally shows up and the shop calls me on the Thursday before the long weekend to say the car is ready. Great! the insurance on the BMW was about to expire, so it worked out perfectly. Despite mentioning my taxi ride, having to put plates on the BMW on short notice, and the general inconvenience of everything, they still charged full price, plus charged me for exhaust gaskets (of which should have been under warranty from their previous attempt).

After getting the Ford, I noticed the main complaint I had (noisy exhaust from the exhaust work that was done prior) was finally quiet. It stayed this way for about three days.

The following Monday morning I called the shop. I was pleasant and mentioned the noise again. Owner sighs and mentions I should bring it by that Thursday. Mind you, this would be the THIRD time they are attempting to repair this TOTALLY STOCK exhaust. At first I agree, then as time goes by I become increasingly angry that despite paying this shop, they totally disregard me and my car putting other (obviously putting revenue generating jobs ahead of me).

As a result I took the car to a different shop who found the bolts were over torqued and stripped. The shop replaced the gasket, and installed a new nut and bolt and it's been quiet ever since. Obviously I had to pay 50+20 tip for doing the repair on short notice.

I then decided to leave google and yelp reviews of my experience. The first shop owner has tried contacting me twice to rectify the situation (very small mom+pop type shop, you'd think the'd try a little harder the first time). He's offered to refund me the other shop's repair. I'd usually be ok with this, but honestly I dont' care to deal with this shop. I was unfairly treated and despite giving them a few chances to make things better only once I left them damaging reviews on the internet do they finally respond.

I accept the apology but I think they are only doing this to save the business's reputation as the internet is very important to businesses these days.

What should I do? what would you do?

thanks in advance

please refer to this thread if you'd like backstory.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4377117/Am_I_being_unreasonable?#Post4377117

I would take the money he offered me thank him, and be on my way. The review was honest, and I'd leave it alone.

I have a problem with a signal light switch that I'll end up redoing because I got lazy and didn't do it myself. Lessons are always being learned.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'd leave the review.

I left a 1 star review about the horrible experience my grandmother and I had last year buying her van, the dealer replied to my comment acting like they cared and asked for my info so they could reach me. I tried contacting them and never heard anything, so I updated my 1 star review and said that it was all phony, they never contacted me.

+1, only after the fact they wanted to make it right. Too bad on their part. IMO you did the right thing.

I have used a negative review to get a company's attention, and then when/if they made the situation right I've updated the review to say that they corrected the problem. However, if the initial negative review is factual I would not change it.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I have used a negative review to get a company's attention, and then when/if they made the situation right I've updated the review to say that they corrected the problem. However, if the initial negative review is factual I would not change it.

I agree.

Take their payment.
Update your review to reflect that they paid you. Leave the original. That's how things went down.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
If the refund of the other shop's charge is done with the expectation to change the negative review to a positive one, then I would not take the money.
In fact, I would probably update the review to include the offer was made (read bribe).

This. Kris has it right on!

If they admitted their mistake, and then offered to refund the money I would take the money, and leave a neutral review. People make mistakes, and it's what they do after the fact is what matters to me.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Take their payment.
Update your review to reflect that they paid you. Leave the original. That's how things went down.

EXACTLY RIGHT

Don't tell them what you will or will not do, ask them to make you whole and pay the extra $$$ you paid out of pocket, once you get payment update the review with additional comments, just as others have suggested.

As long as your account is factually correct, they have no recourse.

Agree with the others - I'd take the money, and update the review to reflect that he did pay the cost of the other shops repair. I'd still leave all the problems you had to get there so long as its all true.

That's the way it went down after all...

I doubt he would offer to pay you anything until you removed the negative review. That's usually how these slimeball places work.

I think you've acted appropriately thus far and shouldn't be worrying too much about this or that shop's reputation.

If you have honestly reported the facts, there is nothing more expected of you. Reviews do not live in a vacuum; yours is only one of many or at lest potentially many. Consumers can make their own choices based on the best information available to them.

A bad review is not necessarily a reason to avoid a shop; it's the overall pattern of reviews that counts. If they actually are good but have made one mistake, that will be evident in the history of consumer experiences overall.

They may have learned from the experience, review and all. That is the reason we offer reviews to the public in the first place; it is not to [censored] and moan. The ideal situation is they re-examine their practices and adjust them for the better. Win-Win.

I've had experiences on eBay where the vendor acted in an inconsiderate and, in my mind, unacceptable manner, and then upon receiving my honest and accurate feedback, all of a sudden changes 180* and offers the solution they should have offered from the outset (a full refund), and asked me to change my feedback.

I replied that my feedback was an honest account of our transaction and I will not be changing it.

There is little point to reviews at all if they are subject to bribes and manipulation. You perhaps should ask yourself what you would have wanted others to do before you dealt with this firm. I think the answer would be to leave honest feedback of their experience.

I would fully agree with a revision that recounts the shop's attempt, however late, to remedy the situation. That is consistent with an honest and full account of the whole ordeal.

Anyone can have an easy, problem free transaction, even with a somewhat un-reputable shop or vendor. On the other hand, sometimes the whole thing seems to be doomed from the start. The very best shop in the world cannot make every single deal work perfectly. It's what happens when things go wrong that counts. A good shop will step up and make it right, even if that means a loss of money. A bad one cannot fathom the idea of giving a dollar back for any reason.

I alway seek out negative feedback and reviews, because they tell me a story of what happens when things go wrong. I don't view the mere existence of poor reviews a negative; I want to see the resolution so that I know what to expect if I'm the next guy whose box never arrives in the mail.

You are of course free to do what you please, but that's my take on it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. You've given me a fair amount to consider.

I'm not interested in a refund. If I accept being refunded what about the inconvenience, taxi cost, daily insurance on the BMW, and my co-workers' time of taking me back and forth from the shop when they wouldn't return my calls? Surely that cannot be refunded.

I'll update the review with their attempt to rectify the situation.

thanks again BITOG
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back