Red LIne TBN number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex

I like to know what the TBN number for Red Lines 5w 40 is?

From what I understand its a bit lower compaired to other 5w 40 oils.

If this is the case can someone explain why? Less additives, better base oil, or what?

Thanks

Thanks gtx510

Yes 10 was the number I remember. Compaired to others of 11 and 12 I guess it was a bit lower than the others I was compairing.

I just put RL 5w40 in my car and cant wait to run it.

tnx for the links.

Rex,

TBN depletion normally isn't an issue with the VW TDI, since you burn so little fuel over a 10k OCI. The RL will still be in excellent shape after 10,000 miles in this application.

TS

Well it looks like 7 is TBN as I knew it was lower than other 5w 40's.

TooSlick thanks for info. I have been on the RL for first full day and its a bit different "feel" than using Amsoil.

I wont get into too much detail but I am a bit surprise by what Im seeing so far. Now to get this darn MAF issue figured out.

I was going to try some Amsoil in our TDI, why did you switch? I am thinking of trying the 5w-30HDD as we head into the colder months.

Please elaborate on your findings if you could please.

I have ran Rotella T Syn, Schaeffer's 5w-40, Delvac 1, and M1 T&SUV in ours and could never tell the difference in drivability, but the Rotella did show more oil shrink than did the others. We are at 8K on our first trial run of Schaeffer's and it literally has not moved on the stick.

The Series 3000 will be excellent for cold weather...for hot weather I prefer the Amsoil 10w-40 in the TDI, or even their 15w-40/AME.

TS

quote:

Originally posted by Strjock81:
I was going to try some Amsoil in our TDI, why did you switch? I am thinking of trying the 5w-30HDD as we head into the colder months.

I have ran Rotella T Syn, Schaeffer's 5w-40, Delvac 1, and M1 T&SUV in ours and could never tell the difference in drivability, but the Rotella did show more oil shrink than did the others. We are at 8K on our first trial run of Schaeffer's and it literally has not moved on the stick.

The reason why I switched was because of my UOA findings at this thread.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=000288

buster,

Nice report...

Looks like we both drive alot. Long miles at high speeds.. Seems we are using the right oil for are driving habbits.

I feel this oil is best for my style of driving. Future UOA will determine that.

TooSlick thanks for info. I have been on the RL for first full day and its a bit different "feel" than using Amsoil.

Rex, I was browsing and found this old thread. What in detail do you mean you "feel" the difference between RL and AMSOIL?
Good? Bad?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Strjock81

We ran it 13,500 and it was right on the full mark when drained out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back