Recommended polish for neglected finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buffing is complete, used the Meguiars 105 with HF pads. Results were pretty good, below is a picture after the polish was removed from the right side. Also have a picture of the paint defect I was trying to correct, they are still there, but there are no more swirls/scratches anymore though! Truck looks fantastic considering how neglected it was by the prior owner.

Looks great! Always thought the Envoy and Bravada were the best looking of that platform. (Used to have an 02 Bravada)

Any pics of it in the light?

Good job. This might help with the clear coat spots. I had some very nasty vertical runs in my clear coat like that. Worse, I believe.

I got rid of them by cleaning vigorously with clay (I used plumber's putty, works great). Once they were cleaned out and smooth to the touch, I sanded with 2k and then compounded and polished. The divot in the clear coat will still be there, but it will be clear and blended and continuous with the clear around it, and protecting the color underneath. Future maintenance will keep it the same. You can get close and find it, but from 2' away it's not visible.

use the meguiars ultimate compound with an orange cutting pad on a DA polisher---with make a huge difference from doing it by hand... buy several orange pads either from HF or autogeek hexlogic. if you are nervous just look at some of the chemical guys videos---not as hard as it may seem... take your time and follow up with ultimate polish. here is my 07 civic after orange pad and ultimate compound. you will not burn with a DA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: carguy996
I'm a little concerned about really how much clear coat is there. I don't believe it had been waxed before based on the oxidation it had on it. Is the Meguiars 105 a mild abrasive?

The 105 has more cut to it, so it's not really a finishing polish. The 205 has less cut and is better for finishing. The M03 is even finer yet and is probably the best for finishing. If you're concerned about the clear coat being thin, I would start with the 205 (using a DA polisher). If that isn't a heavy enough of a cut, then go to the 105...

A lot of good options to choose from. Also they sell a lot of stuff now that hides swirls and doesn't take off the clear like your thinking. If you plan on keeping your car shining like new all the time this is the way to go.Keep that paint clean and polished and it will still look good 10 plus yrs later. I like 3d polish lines

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shellguy
A lot of good options to choose from. Also they sell a lot of stuff now that hides swirls and doesn't take off the clear like your thinking. If you plan on keeping your car shining like new all the time this is the way to go.Keep that paint clean and polished and it will still look good 10 plus yrs later. I like 3d polish lines

The problem with the fillers is you have to keep reapplying them. If it has enough clear coat left, it's actually better to correct it, however, the filler may be the only option if the car has little clear coat left...

Did you finish with M205 after the M105? The M105 is a compound. It gets rid of the swirls but leaves a haze. The M205 will get rid of the haze and give you an amazing finish!

While I haven't seen pictures of the vehicle, I would try the HF polisher (purchase Lake Country or Meguiar's 5" backing plate and an array of 5.5" Lake Country flat pads (2 white, 3 orange and 1 black) for like $35 at AutoGeek. I would use Meguiar's M101 on the orange pad at probably speed 5 with moderate pressure and somewhat slow passes, then less pressure moving more quickly on the last pass. I've found this product almost doesn't need to be polished afterwards, but I would still use Meguiar's M205 and a white pad at speed 5.5 or 6 afterwards, then probably something like Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish or their Ultimate Liquid Wax as my LSP.

EDIT: Just saw your pictures, nice results.

Mike

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
Did you finish with M205 after the M105? The M105 is a compound. It gets rid of the swirls but leaves a haze. The M205 will get rid of the haze and give you an amazing finish!

+1 105 then 205 if you want to achieve better results. 205 is a polish which will remove the compounding scratches and finish nicely. One thing I would recommend between 105 and 205 is a wipedown with IPA or something that will degrease without drying the paint (i.e. stay clear of dish soaps like dawn). The reason why I say this is because compounds and polishes tend to have a lot of oils in them and sometimes what may look like a great finish will fade when the oils do. wiping down and inspecting will yield much better results.

Carguy996,

If I were you I'd take it to a car wash and ask the detail guys opinion. He should have the polishes to bring back the shine unless you are scared to burning through the clear coat. In that case you best bet is to have your ride re-painted. My two cents.

Durango

Carguy996-

It seems to have turned out well especially considering your first go with a polisher. Nicely done.

When I polished my parent's van a while ago for laughs and giggles, I used Menzerna's Intensive Polish with a orange pad on a rotary buffer. It worked well, but it would have used a follow up with something even finer as a "finishing glaze".

I have that HF DA polisher - I'm tearing it apart to change the grease out to something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back