DA Polisher Recommendations

I am in the market for a DA polisher. Probably won't use it much (1-2x a year) so I am looking for something that is inexpensive. All of the reviews I see are all over the place. Looking for some suggestions.

Some that I am considering are:
  • Griot's G9
  • Bauer (Harbor Freight) 6" 7.5 amp - new long throw model
  • Bauer (Harbor Freight) 6" 5.7 amp
  • TorqX - Chemical Guys
  • Avid Power - highest rated on Amazon

I have the HF model maybe two years old. It seems fine to me. I would start with it. Use it after purchase and you can always return saying you are dissatisfied.

Weight is an issue for long periods of use. I use it for my boat which is partly with my arms up at my head level or slightly above.

You may way to get the backing pads and similar on Amazon and not use the HF ones.

I usually don't go for anything from HF and I do not use a DA polisher only a rotary but the Bauer (Harbor Freight) 6" 7.5 amp - new long throw model ticks all the right boxes. If I was in the market I would give it a shot. I doubt it can be realistically compared to a high end Rupes machine but it should be more than good enough for your intended usage, I would get different pads for it.

Like most things electric from HF the 90 day warranty is a bit of a deal breaker so use it right away and give it a good workout.

You guys are quick, thanks! No matter which I end up with I will most likely change the backing plate out to a better branded 5" size.

I have the harder fright porter cable 7424 copy. I bought a 5” backplate and use 6” lake country pads. I couldn’t stand the short cord, so I opened the machine up, removed the cord, got a 25’ extension cord, and wired it straight in. Looks like I came from factory that way. Made it much easier to deal with, and works very good.

I am in the market for a DA polisher. Probably won't use it much (1-2x a year) so I am looking for something that is inexpensive. All of the reviews I see are all over the place. Looking for some suggestions.

Some that I am considering are:
  • Griot's G9
  • Bauer (Harbor Freight) 6" 7.5 amp - new long throw model
  • Bauer (Harbor Freight) 6" 5.7 amp
  • TorqX - Chemical Guys
  • Avid Power - highest rated on Amazon
I have the previous HF Chicago Electric DA polisher before they switched to Bauer. It does what I need it to do. If you use the DA more, I've only used mine twice in 5 years, then the new Bauer long throw looks pretty good.

I know one of the Griots polishers has the longer cord option if that matters to you. It would be nice to have a battery version of a DA so you wouldn't have to worry about those darn cords getting in your way.

I'm a fan of the GG6

I realize it's now obsolete but it worked wonderfully for me on a commercial basis. I fully agree with the smaller backing plate. DO buy more pads than you think you're going to need. Mine has the 25' cord but apparently it is no longer available. Buy a top shelf extension cord regardless of the brand you choose.

I have had great luck with everything from Griots, and I have heard their polishers are great for the home person and they don't cost much. I would choose the Griots or the HF model. I have heard the H. Freight is a great value choice. Either should do well.

As the proud owner of a highly expensive Flex polisher—-I say go for cheap unless you are a pro.

These things aren’t precision tools. You shouldn’t be taking one of these things to your car’s finish except maybe three times a year to apply a paste wax, and let’s face it; Paste waxes are getting to be a thing of the past.

I was just looking at this....I have no experience but I would not want a corded product......https://www.amazon.com/Adams-Cordless-Polisher-Swirl-Killer/dp/B07SF6NSZN/ref=sr_1_20_sspa?crid=B2TR3E596CZF&dchild=1&keywords=battery+da+polisher&qid=1601530139&sprefix=battery+DA+%2Caps%2C175&sr=8-20-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzSjRVM005Tk00M0FSJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDI2MjAwM0xRWUlITEgxTUNCTCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzM4NDgzM1MxV1lFWDdYN1NPQSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Why wouldn't you want a corded polisher?

How many batteries do you plan on buying from Adam's? The only cordless that makes sense is Dewalt. At least with the Dewalt you can use the batteries in other tools. And you'll need plenty to get any real work done.

Reactions: JC1
Have the torq now that’s an 8mm throw. It’s decent and problem free after 3 years.
Adam’s swirl killer 15mm is much better and durability. 5in backing plate is much easier to handle than the 6in.

Why wouldn't you want a corded polisher?

How many batteries do you plan on buying from Adam's? The only cordless that makes sense is Dewalt. At least with the Dewalt you can use the batteries in other tools. And you'll need plenty to get any real work done.

Wow over $500 for a cordless polisher! That's insane. I guess if you are a professional detailer and you detail cars all day long then maybe you want cordless or you are a mobile detailer. I would stick with the cord at that price. As mentioned, you are only using this tool 2-3 times a year.

I also recommend Porter Cable. Had my 7424 since 2006, it runs like the day it was new. I've corrected, and currently maintain paint on several vehicles with it. I don't know how many times I've tripped over the cord and yanked it off the tool chest, hasn't phased it.

I also recommend Porter Cable. Had my 7424 since 2006, it runs like the day it was new. I've corrected, and currently maintain paint on several vehicles with it. I don't know how many times I've tripped over the cord and yanked it off the tool chest, hasn't phased it.
I can honestly say I’ve never tripped over the cord on my 7424. At times yes it would be in the way but I’ve gotten used to it and just drape it over my shoulder and dealt with it. I don’t think I would pay that much for a cordless one.

Back