DA Polisher Recommendations

Outrageously expensive and 30-45 minute run time confirms your "no experience" admission. In the past I have spent 4-6 hours on the paint correction alone......corded rules. Cordless may be the latest rage but the practicality of it sucks.
The only exception to this is for cordless 3" polishers. Those devices are incredibly useful and the amount of paint to be corrected with a 3" polisher is minimal, anyway. But for your main polisher I would definitely stay with corded.

The only exception to this is for cordless 3" polishers. Those devices are incredibly useful and the amount of paint to be corrected with a 3" polisher is minimal, anyway. But for your main polisher I would definitely stay with corded.

Excellent point (y)

I picked up the Bauer (Harbor Freight) 6" 5.7 amp for $60. I also bought the Mcguire's 5" microfiber correction kit that included the 5" backing plate. I took the head of the polisher apart and swapped out the grease. So far so good. I have only been playing with a test panel, but so far I am happy with the results and performance for the money spent. I will try and post some photos when I decide to tackle a few cars. Thanks everyone for your thoughts on the topic.

I picked up the Bauer (Harbor Freight) 6" 5.7 amp for $60. I also bought the Mcguire's 5" microfiber correction kit that included the 5" backing plate. I took the head of the polisher apart and swapped out the grease. So far so good. I have only been playing with a test panel, but so far I am happy with the results and performance for the money spent. I will try and post some photos when I decide to tackle a few cars. Thanks everyone for your thoughts on the topic.
Good choices all around, especially the Meguiar's MF system.

Pick up D302 as well if you want to use your own wax.

For the few times a year you will use it it should serve you well. A girlfriend at the time about 15 years ago bought me a PC 7424 and all of the accessories to go along with it( bag, numerous pads, etc.) for Xmas and I will never work on a car without it except for really tight spots and under door handles and such.
- They are a great investment and time saver

You may want to consider a small variable speed rotary buffer with a 5-6" plate. I don't own or use a DA polisher, they are way too slow and don't produce the results like a rotary but they are safer for inexperienced users. This is my favorite, cheap and it has lasted, it does a good job and super easy to control.

IMG_0319.JPG

I also use the air buffer a lot, it is very light and powerful, it makes quick work of buffing a color sand job, this is next to the small rotary.

IMG_0316.JPG

The small compared to the large electric I used to use, heavy and hard to control after an hour or so, your arms will drop off. Definitely not recommended for inexperienced users, this will mess up the paint in a heartbeat if not used properly.

IMG_0326.JPG

I'm a fan of the GG6

I realize it's now obsolete but it worked wonderfully for me on a commercial basis. I fully agree with the smaller backing plate. DO buy more pads than you think you're going to need. Mine has the 25' cord but apparently it is no longer available. Buy a top shelf extension cord regardless of the brand you choose.
The 25 foot cord is available for the G9 for$29 on the GG website.

The 25 foot cord is available for the G9 for$29 on the GG website.

Yes it is but that has nothing to do with the reference to the G6 that I posted. The G6 was available with an attached 25' cord.

Back