Light scratches/Water Spots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by RayCJ
If you do both sealant and wax, wait 24-48 hours before putting the wax on. All coatings need some time for their solvent base to fully evaporate and let the coating set up. If you apply wax too soon, the solvent carrier in the wax product will just rub off the previous layer of whatever product you applied. Finally, the car needs to be washed before putting the wax on if you waited 1-2 days between step 7 & 8.

Unless you use a bonding agent with the sealant then it cures immediately. Although I'd wait at least an hour before topping. Plus gives a little time to take a break. I did this on Monday to an 05 car and it turned out great. The bonding agent can be applied to the paint, don't wipe off then apply the sealant on top, let dry, then buff out. You can also mix 1 part bonding agent to 4 parts sealant and apply the mixture to the car. Use mixture up in 2 hours or less. It's supposed to double the life of the sealant. Using the cheapie buffer and an MF bonnet got all gunk out of the paint that I thought only polishing would take care of. So very little to no abrasives. There are some chemical cleaners in the 105 and I only did one coat. This is with Duragloss products and one of the guys on here does this approach:

Originally Posted by asdf
Used as a system all three are excellent. My routine is this:
1 - Wash with standard soap or rinseless wash
2 - Apply #601 with applicator to entire car
3 - Polish with #105 using green pad on dual-action polisher
4 - Mix .25oz #601 with .75oz #111 in a small jar
5 - Apply to entire car, then buff from entire car
6 - Wait ~45 min.
7 - Repeat steps 5-6 for three coats of #111 (Four coats counting #105)

Yes, one ounce is enough to coat an average car three times. This never fails to get me through a winter and easily a month or two into spring.

@rooflessVW: Nice! Very nice... I kinda miss my black car because it looked so good when polished and detailed.

@grampi: You bet, it's best to be safe than sorry.

@SatinSilver: I have not tried anything like that but maybe some day. I have used some "synthetic sealer waxes" which are the new generation version of "Nu Finish". They work fine too but, I have great results with regular Collinite wax so, I just stick with it. One of these days, I might try the "Ceramic" or "Nano" sealers.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back