Recommended oil weights and Warranties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought an '06 Outback, 5-speed with the non-turbo 2.5 4 cylinder engine. Subaru recommends going 3,000 miles to the first change, and though I'd be inclined to change sooner, I think I'll go the 3K. Ouch.

I bought the extended 7 year 100,000 bumper to bumper warranty with thought that some of the computerized stuff may be pretty expensive when they start to go south in 5 years or so. I plan to keep the car for at least 7 years. This is the first new car I have bought in my life. I paid cash too so it's all mine.

I have always done my own auto maintenance however, and the dealer assured me I would not void the warranty if I do it myself as long as I document the scheduled maintenance and I guess include receipts for store bought oil

The recommended oil is 5w-30. I would like to use the synthetic 0w-30 German Castrol after the first 3,000 miles of which I have about 7 quarts in the garage. Though I doubt an oil related failure is likely no matter what I use, would they send me packing if they see I use 0w-30?

I know I could ask the 23 year old salesman or even the service manager this question, but I thought I'd go for some real world experience and ask here.

Thanks guys.

No, 0w-30 meets (and excedes) 5w-30 specs. While thay may try to give you crap about it, they don't have a leg to stand on.
I have and currently am using 0w-30 oil in my car speced for 10w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back