Recommended Oil for 4000-Mile Trip on 5.3L LS Gen III Truck Eng

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well long trip and as you said, Max load.

I'd probably go with the heavier weight oil, although I'm sure that engine will be fine with just about anything.

In a milk crate I'd bring the following...

I'd bring an extra gallon of coolant (for emergency/boil over).
I'd bring a tire plug kit and a small electric air compressor.
A small jump pack would be good just in case you have an electrical issue and need a jump.
An extra set of keys in a magnetic storage box tucked somewhere convenient (all you'd need is to lock your keys in it somewhere 2,000 miles from home).
1 quart of tranny fluid (any more and let's face it, there's no fixing it).
Duct tape

Make sure your jack and spare tire cable work before you leave. Rain X the windshield and make sure your blades are new, and clean the windshield before you go...worst thing is realizing at night, in the rain, that you can't see out of the windshield. Obviously check all fluid levels before you go (brake fluid too). And I'll tell you what...how hard would it be to pack a headlight bulb and extra brake light bulb? Imagine driving down some strange road at night and having a headlight go out? Or getting pulled over because you brake light or liscense plate light is out? The bulbs are only a couple bucks, throw the money in the glove compartment.

Last edited:
Agree with raildust on the spare tire hoist. Check it they are problematic with age. I modified mine, the is a thread on it here somewhere.

I have heard that during the summer the construction is in full swing which sometimes means traveling through a bit of dusty highway. Make sure your air filter is up to snuff beforehand.

Originally Posted by dave1251
If you have a Napa near by buy a Napa Platinum and Napa Syn 30 grade of your choice and head on your trip.

Thats a perfect combo. NAPA syn 10w-30 and a Platinum or gold. I think that combo is on sale for $21.99 right now through the month.

Change a week ahead of the trip to assure no leaks, and carry an extra qt. or two.

BTW, I am headed to Anchorage then all the way up north to Barrow AK in about a month!

I bought two of those Napa specials however my order is on back-order due to the filter being out of stock for my Civic so still waiting.

Does the OP have anything against Pennzoil? I run the regular PP 5w30 in my 2004 GMC Sierra w/ 5.3 and has served me well.

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I'll go with a 10W-30 semi-syn or syn oil, though not sure which or if that really matters too much. I'm thinking about 2 each 5-Quart jugs of QSUD 10W-30... and will order through Wal-Mart for delivery to the Wasilla, Alaska store. Those can be had for $19.97 each. The remaining 4-quarts will tag along upright in a spare auto parts box. I'll install the Purolator Boss filter because of its thick case -- don't want to take a chance with the gravel encountered. I have one on-hand.

Before hitting the road, I will be changing out the following:

- Installing new Rain-X pre-curved wiper blades
- Changing out the transfer case fluid with AutoTrak II
- Changing out the radiator fluid
- Changing out the rear diff fluid with Mobil-1 LS 75W-90
- Replacing a serpentine belt tensioner/pulley mechanism that's beginning to make a racket on startup
- Greasing the front end zerks-- the front end steering is good on this truck!

Besides hauling along basic extra fluids, I'll pack a spare ACDelco air filter and serpentine belt, and low-beam headlight and taillight bulbs, and a fuse kit. Other related parts to be taking are flares, jumper cables and one of those new Li-Ion compact battery jump starters, duct tape, first-aid kit, tool kit, etc. You get the picture.

I will need to drop down the spare tire to see if that mechanism still functions properly...

The truck will be ready to go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SteveG4
Dave1251,

No viscosity index improvers (VII) is such a mono-grade oil? I wonder what the HTHS is on such oil?

If the trip isn't going to get cold, that could be something.

If you wanted a bit more HTHS ... aside from the diesel oils - Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30 has it ... I ran that in my 2005 and 2010 5.3L before my new pair went to sewing machine oil ... LoL ...

Sewing machine oil?
confused.gif

I took a 8500 mile 3 week trip and used mobil 1 extended performance 5w 30. Temps got to 118 in the desert, 32 in Yellowstone
Any full synthetic should do.
I had to change my transmission rear seal the evening before my trip. Climbed under truck to find a leak. Worried me for hundreds of miles. Every rest stop climbing under truck. After that worry free. Than found a leak at the rear diff cover after a few thousand miles. Good thing I had tools to tighten the diff cover bolts back up.

Last edited:
A friend put 350K on his 1999 Silverado 5.3 using M1 5-30 at 15K OCIs. He sold it because of the third trans that failed, but the engine still ran great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back