Recommended OCI for 6.5 TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running Rotella T with a Fram (I know, I know, I'm switching to Wix when my stock runs out) in a 6.5 TD 2500 Suburban with about 189,000 miles on it. Its gets 5-20 mile trips around town about 4 days a week and long trips (500-1000) miles on occasion (2-3 times a year). I have towed with it, but don't do it routinely. I haven't done an oil analysis on it.

What is a recommended OCI on this setup?

Again, I know Fram is not a well thought of filter here. I'm switching to Wix when my stock runs out (I think I have two more on the shelf).

2500 miles is the recommended. I have gone 3000-3500 since the truck was new in 1996. UOA's have always been fine. I've run Rotella, Delo, Delvac, and Amsoil thru it. Pure One filter and lately been using a Bosch distance plus because I got a good deal on them.

Originally Posted By: zex4g63
2500 miles is the recommended. I have gone 3000-3500 since the truck was new in 1996. UOA's have always been fine. I've run Rotella, Delo, Delvac, and Amsoil thru it. Pure One filter and lately been using a Bosch distance plus because I got a good deal on them.

Zowie! 2500 mile OCI per the OEM? That seems a bit conservative, even for an OEM.

I'd think that engine could easily survive 5k miles OCIs, especially with today's very capable CJ-4 fluids. The old 6.2/6.5 engines weren't exactly over-powered, so high bearing stresses in the main and rod journals are not really an issue. That just leaves the cam drivetrain to worry about. Everthing I've heard about those old engines indicates they have no lube related issues to speak of. About the only things they have issues with are the PMD and oil pressure switch, neither of which is going to be affected by your lube choice or OCI.

I think a fine place to start would be the OEM OCI. Then do a UOA. Then see how far you can extend. I highly suspect 5k miles is doable in that rig.

Looks like your in the short trip Maintenance schedule so 2500 mile interval is ok i guess but 5,000 is fine i have the same rig('98 2500 6.5 P/U)and run TDT for 5k year around.

i would be more concerned about relocating the PMD to the bumper if your's is '94 and newer truck.

I've been running at a 3K OCI as best I can. I relocated with PMD to under the front bumper about a year and a half ago; no issues with it. I just poured a ton of money into it on A/C and brakes, so my budget is shot for now. But its still better than a payment on a new one. New injectors are next.

2500 sounds low to me, my '93 6.2 usually gets changed around once a year regardless of mileage (it's never over 3K) and the oil doesn't even look bad. Compared to weak head bolts/gaskets, fragile nodular iron crankshafts, too thin cylinder walls, and IP electrical nightmares-oil in a 6.5 is the least of your worries!

Yep, 2500 was the recommendation (also for the 6.2L diesel Blazer I once owned) for short hoppers like you. It was 5K miles for mostly freeway driving. Those recommendations are dated to the era and oils have improved since.

In the 10 years I had my 6.2L, I ran 4K intervals in mixed driving but that was before I got oil religion. I would have verified that with UOAs today. My instinct is to say 4K is OK, even in your environment, because I still own an '86 F250 diesel (bought almost new back then) and I have verified 4-6K with that engine in mixed driving. The 6.9 and the 6.2/6.5 are both old school IDI engines with nearly identical fuel systems. My 6.9 was turbocharged with a Banks kit right after I got it, as well.

My advice to you would be to improve your filtration, try 4K OCIs and UOA. Go to a lab that can measure soot (that would eliminate Blackstone), such as Wearheck, Oil Analyzers, Polaris, etc. Soot will be your condemnation point. Some of the better filtering filters out there are the Pure 1, the Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Amsoil. Unless you get into a highly efficient bypass system (with under 10 micron filtration) you won't see huge changes but better filtration will keep the soot levels lower over time.

When you UOA, look first at viscosity and soot. Ideally you will be under or around 1 percent, but you are safe to as much as 2 percent or so (according to some experts more is safe but.... I hate to see it higher than 2 percent base on my own studies and I find I can go a long way before it gets that high).

Viscosity will tell you if the engine sheared the oil. My 6.9L cannot shear Rotella before the soot load builds up first, so I doubt you have to worry about that unless you are getting fuel into the crankcase.

I'll toss in an unsolicited viscosity recommendation. In your use, you should be using the Rotella 10W30 IMO (I do and did in both the 6.2 and the 6.9L). It's plenty robust but will flow better in those situations where the oil is not fully warmed up (which take 15 miles of driving at least). Perfect for a short hopper and it's recommended in the manual. My 6.2 manual says straight 30 is preferred but that was in the era when 10W30 grades tended to shear a lot more. If you are using 15W40, you are fine, but I think you might see a slight improvement in MPG with the 10W30. Cold starting will likely improve too. Cold starts were the big bugaboo with my 6.2L and every RPM more aI could spin it up on a cold morning was beneficial.

Unless the wear metals are off the charts, don't get roped into sweaty palms over a few PPM one way or another. The lab will call out any dangerous wear metals. In the first UOA, the amount doesn't tell you much because every engine in a set use and maintenance schedule will produce pretty regular results that may be different than another guy in a completely different situation. Since you are just starting, you don't know what "normal" is for your engine. Wear metals get to be a braggadocius element here but most times people are comparing apples to grapes.

Not the same engine but my Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel had recommended oci's of 5k miles. I usually change it at 4.5k or so.

Thanks for the great insight -- one question, you list some recommended filters (Pure 1, the Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Amsoil). How does Wix stack up against those in this application? My uninformed opinion was that Wix was a pretty good filter, but your not mentioning it makes me wonder. I am not tied to any one brand other than trying to keep costs reasonable. But expensive filters are still cheaper than cheap engine repairs. I am currently using 15W-40 and will for a bit based on my stock of it.

Wix makes a well constructed filter but the filtration is average. The ones I mentioned have above average filtration along with superior construction (the Pure1 is an exception... I think it's average in construction but has good media). Truth be told, because soot is usually pretty small, you won't see too much of a decrease until you go to a bypass system with under 10 micron filtration. Basically, I'm saying the Wix is fine. You could fine tune with one of the finer filters but how much of an "edge" you'd gain couldbe pretty small. I'm a proponent of better filtration but the gains can be pretty small and expensive. It would interesting to plot soot levels under controlled circumstances with an average full flow filter vs the better ones.

Originally Posted By: 0802
Running Rotella T with a Fram (I know, I know, I'm switching to Wix when my stock runs out) in a 6.5 TD 2500 Suburban with about 189,000 miles on it. Its gets 5-20 mile trips around town about 4 days a week and long trips (500-1000) miles on occasion (2-3 times a year). I have towed with it, but don't do it routinely. I haven't done an oil analysis on it.

What is a recommended OCI on this setup?

Again, I know Fram is not a well thought of filter here. I'm switching to Wix when my stock runs out (I think I have two more on the shelf).
Stick with what you are doing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back