Recommendations for Wall Oven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 20 year old 27-inch electric double wall oven fried its controller board, and it's old enough that replacement parts are not available. I'm a little disappointed that the manufacturer (a well known US brand) doesn't support parts for this model any longer. Anyway, now I'm in the market for a new oven.

Can anyone recommend a reliable brand or model? I've read Consumer Reports, but they base their recommendations on functionality (baking, broiling, etc.) which all ovens in this class are reasonably good at. I'm interested in recommendations for reliability, serviceability, and so on. Thanks.

General Electric or Samsung.

All Whirlpool and Maytag have been outsourced to China and have had HUGE quality control issues.

I recently did the same thing in my house that was built in '78.

Also, talk to the installers about vents around the new oven. Some have vents around the device.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
General Electric or Samsung.

All Whirlpool and Maytag have been outsourced to China and have had HUGE quality control issues.

I recently did the same thing in my house that was built in '78.

Also, talk to the installers about vents around the new oven. Some have vents around the device.

Thanks. I did not know about the venting - the installation location is not vented so I'll keep that in mind.

I have a GE profile and its the biggest POS i've ever owned. I even had the first one replaced under a recall.

I would go to you local used appliance store and get the required control board. Proce should be $15 or so.

I have installed two Ikea (Whirlpool) wall ovens in recent years, Both were made in USA,
Both have been reliable.

Last edited:
We had a wall oven growing up. It was some strange size so we had to keep fixing it because we couldn't replace it. Did you check ebay for the part you need?

I'd buy whatever oven is most popular to assure you'll be able to find parts for it in the future. Appliances just don't last as long as they used to.

Originally Posted By: expat

I have installed two Ikea (Whirlpool) wall ovens in recent years, Both were made in USA,
Both have been reliable.

Whirlpool is one of the few left in the USA, and bought Maytag a few years back. Probably the best appliance you can buy.

From my experience sell appliances a few years back, we seemed to have the best luck with GE in cooking products. Whirlpool stuff wasn't very popular. Frigidaire/Electrolux stuff had lots of problems.

I would check around and see if a used control board is available...

My sisters oven shattered the glass, I found a door and an extra oven shelf for $10..

A lot of parts are interchangeable, one model fits another...

I had the control board in our late 90's era GE double wall oven repaired by fixyourboard.com a couple years ago. The lower oven had ceased to function. It was $150 including the return shipping. They replaced the relay that failed, along with every other replaceable component (capacitors, relays, etc) on the board and provided a nice write-up with the returned board. Comparable new oven is ~$2,000. Highly recommended.

jeff

Originally Posted By: greenjp
I had the control board in our late 90's era GE double wall oven repaired by fixyourboard.com a couple years ago. The lower oven had ceased to function. It was $150 including the return shipping. They replaced the relay that failed, along with every other replaceable component (capacitors, relays, etc) on the board and provided a nice write-up with the returned board. Comparable new oven is ~$2,000. Highly recommended.

jeff

Thanks! I never heard of anything like this, what a great idea. I'll check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back