Recommendations for new Audi RS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by RI_RS4:
I'm sure GC is robust enough, but since it doesn't meet the 502.00 specs...

Au contraire, mon ami...it meets 502.00, 505.00 and 503.01.

The dealer installs it for me in my A6 2.7T.

pscholte,

Unfortunately the manual is quite specific

"However, if engine oil viscosity grage SAE5W40 is not available, you can also use viscosity grade SAE 5W-30 or SAE 0W-40 as long as it meets Audi oil quality standard VW 502 00 specifications."

GC with a viscosity of 0W-30 would seem to be excluded, even if it is 502.00 certified.

yep, see the thread on 0w-30 european formula:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=51;t=001069;p=1

Shows pics of the bottle explicitly stating 502.00

Its probably as robust an oil as youll find this side of mobil delvac 1, which is the standard as far as Im concerned...

Of course at the end of the day, the 'best' oil isnt a global solution, but rather what shows the best results in oil analysis. For the dollars involved in engine work in a beast like that - nothing short of the Terry Dyson analysis package will do - and will give you surity without a doubt.

If your dealer will allow you to put it in, and there is an issue, then shame on them - they put the oil into your engine, its not alike a shade tree mechanic did it. And with UOA results, independentl verified, youll know what is right and wrong in any diagnosis.

If youre a stickler for a literal reading of the manual writing, then you should really use what they sell at the dealer and make sure youve met everything to a 't'. Or if you really dont wnat to buy from them directly - go with the pentosin and dont worry anymore. Thats a heck of an ol that Im sure would give delvac 1 5w-40 a run for its money!

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back